Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭eagerv

Had carplay/android auto on my last few cars, the only thing I miss is WhatsAp, used to use the auto replies 'Driving', 'Yes', 'No', etc. Agree the maps/nav much better in the Tesla. But isn't there talk of carplay coming to Tesla at some stage?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There are plenty of after market solutions, YouTube it. But give Tesla UI a try, it's excellent. Apple music is now supported too

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yes. Subscribed to it in July 2020 and have kept it ever since.

the car is always connected, no matter who’s driving, no fcuking around with hotspots…

Spotify, TuneIn, YouTube, Netflix. Disney+, web browser etc…. Not to mention the satellite map view is so much nicer to look at…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭silver_sky

I'm gonna miss this also. I regularly use the voice typing for Whatsapp in my current car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭JOL1

IMO yes, just to add also love the live camera views

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

In my opinion no. I had it for a month free and let it lapse. If I missed it, I'd resubscribe but never did.

I had it for the Summer, let it lapse for the Winter as predominately local travelling only in the cold weather/shorter days

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭grimman

Maybe I'm having buyers remorse, but I'm worried about my charging situation. I'm in an apartment block that has no chargers, so I'll be relying on public chargers.

Is not having a home charger, a recipe for disaster? I work from home, so I don't have a daily commute.

I've estimated, based on my current driving, that I would need to charge every 3 weeks.

Across the road, in a carpark there's two 22kW chargers, and ~2km away there's a couple of 50kW chargers, and one 150kW.

Maybe I've made a mistake 😓

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Normally I would say that without a home charger, you shouldn't get an EV. Your situation might be an exception if you need to use it so infrequently. My old man lives in an apartment too and has a PHEV. He was charging at a 22kW charge point at the SC right beside hi apartment block...about 300m away, which was inconvenient for a PHEV. I ran armoured cable from the 1st floor balcony to where he parks in the UG and installed a very neat and well concealed outdoor 13A socket he can plug into and cut power to whenever he wants. Not everyone has this potential, but he also didn;t think he would be able to charge at home.

Stay Free

You should be fine with no work commute, but just regarding your 3 week per charge estimate…. The range in the car will be massively reduced from what it’s real world range is if all you are doing are short local hops here and there….. as they are the ones that are typically the most inefficient as every time you get in your heating/cooling the cabin & battery..

if the real world range of the car is 350km, and your local drive to Tesco is a 3.5km round trip, your not gonna be able to drive there and back twice a day for 50 days….. but if your doing 100 trips non stop you’d probably make it…

ABC - Always be charging - so if you park anywhere where there’s chargers available, use them… even 30 minutes on an AC22…. (Would give me 11%), take whatever you can get…

what did you order? Is it’s a Model 3 RWD it has the LFP battery and Tesla recommend to charge to 100% at least once a week.. (not sure if the Y RWD also used the same LFP battery? Probably does)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭innrain

I live in an apartment and drive EVs for the last 4 years. It works for us with no hiccups. I drive around 35k km a year, with a 100km daily commute Engage with OMC about charger installation. Last year, in my case, they decided to apply for the grant but from what I'm hearing we may end up with a more expensive solution than public charging but convenience...

I do ABC as Andy said. I kinda know all public chargers on a 50 km radius of home.

In your case if you charge at a Tesco AC once a week while shopping should probably be more than sufficient to compensate losses. With AC across the street and DC close by you'll be grant

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RM Ernest

Just to add to other posters comments as well. Not sure if you have the car or you're waiting on a new one but if your mileage is pretty small and you have to rely on public charging it sounds like an expensive solution to having a car.

The savings with EVs are on the fuel front with home charging which offset the higher initial purchase price depending on total depreciation then.

So basically do the sums unless environmental considerations outweigh the cost of ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't think that is allowed though what you done. I'm not sure of the legal part of it either. I suppose we will find out eventually since everyone will eventually move to electric or hybrid cars and many people in apartments start doing this and there could be court cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,871 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I wouldn't have done it, but then I've never been an early adopter, I let other people work out all the kinks in a system. Call me a luddite, but I've never lost a cent by waiting for prices to drop and infrastructure to catch up.

Just sell whatever EV you bought, privately, you'll probably even make a few quid, then buy a petrol or a PHEV which you may charge publicly when convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

If more people take charging solutions into their own hands, then pressure will be put on decision makers. The neighbour living directly beneath is waiting 4 years for the MC to make a decision on a charge point. The meter for the apartment is in a storage room right beside their parking area. It's a joke. Apartment dwellers need access to charging and can't be left waiting on lethargic MCs.

Stay Free

Just a question re defrosting or heating the car remotely from app. I use the very handy feature quite regularly, particularly if driving home late from work when the car has recently been iced up. Pleasantly surprised how little juice it uses, I often only defrost for a few minutes, all I want is the ice removed, my commute is very short so don't need a hot car.

However after turning off defrost from app, heater temp does not revert back to my normal temp and settings. Bit of a pain having to go back into settings when back in car and reset my preferences. Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Turn off defrost and then turn on the fan symbol on the app, that should set it to your usual settings rather than max heat. Then turn it off?

Havent found this myself but this might sort it for you.

(Its a fantastic ability to be able to go out to a warm/defrosted car).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 TSLQs

Has anyone here added an after market tow bar to their model 3?

I’d like to get one fitted for a just a bike rack not a trailer. Interested to see if anyone has done so and how it works without the software updates needed?

Thanks.

I think it is factory only installation on the Model 3. Model Y can be installed later afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TSLQs

It can definitely be done, but seems not by many.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It's not bolt on like most cars over the years were. As you said it can be done but it would be a custom job rather than a factory selling an aftermarket one specifically for a Tesla.

If you do this you risk Tesla banning the car from their service centre and voiding the warranty, they can be quite belligerent on stuff like this as a certain Irish YTuber found out a few years back...

they can be quite belligerent on stuff like this as a certain Irish YTuber found out a few years back...

Really? Was that the guy who had the Model 3 Performance, that was crashed? I knew he'd added power trunk & frunk, and probably a few other bits... but did Tesla blacklist the car from the SC? What else did he do to upset Tesla?

I can't say on Boards, if you know you know, you seem to have reached the right conclusion though

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

Planning to buy an M3 in the next few days. Do Tesla still do trade-ins? I seem to remember it used to be on the finance page, but now I can't see it anywhere. Is it an option once you click order?

Also, has anyone ordered one from Galway and did you have to pick up in Dublin, or do they deliver?

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Well you buy a m3 on there site they will ask have you got a trade in they will give you a offer but they tend to be bad.I would try autotrade or zucars they give you a better price or sell privately on donedeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

Thanks!

Yeah, my car is 15 years old. I'm not expecting a lot of money from anywhere ;) My thought was if I have to collect it myself in Dublin it would be a lot easier to drive there and leave my car behind, than spend 4 hours on public transport.

But thanks for the tips. I'll see how much the price difference is on those sites.

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

Advertisement