Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

Bit of a random question, but does every Tesla by default get a D license plate?

Here in Galway every Tesla I’ve seen so far has a D license plate, but recently I saw one with a G.

Just wondering what others have gotten.

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

What ever county you are domicile at, presume the address of your order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

The reg is based on your address.

if you give a Dublin address you’ll get a D plate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭rx8

Are the cars fitted with standard plates on the front ? I wouldn't mind having the vinyl type one or is that a personal aftermarket option ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Standard plates as standard. Vinyl plates can be purchased afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yes, come with the standard black plastic frames, which imo look cheap. The rear one used to rattle on mine when boot closing, but at least there was no advertising bars on mine.

I took the plates out of the frames and stuck them with double sided Gorilla tape on to the backing frame on the front and direct to car on rear. Think they look neater.

Link here..https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118927512/#Comment_118927512

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭rx8

Thanks. Looks good without the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭wassie

Probably a fair chance some of these are lease cars. All lease cars (AFAIK) have a D reg as the leasing company will be headquartered in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You will see Johnson Perrot leased vehicles with a C reg as they've a location in Cork. There are also leasing via manufacturer done within dealerships so they'd be various registrations. Albeit way less than companies like Leaseplan but they exist.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I have the vinyl plates myself and think they look way better, especially on the front!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Are these road legal/NCT compliant ? Any issues with vandalism ?

They need to be at least 3mm thick to be road legal which they are not……

NCT will be due this time next year (so probably need to book it soon), so will see how it goes…

I actually have a spare set as the initial set were slightly misprinted but you barely notice, so I’ll chance the NCT and see how it goes…. Worst case is they fail so I put the originals back on for the visual retest and then replace again with the spare set of vinyls..

No vandalism whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

The black Numbers/Letters should be on a white reflective background so I don't think they're strictly legal

This is how hideous the stock supplied number plate holder looks…

The black numbers are on a white reflective background though….

having read the requirements countless times, the only requirement it fails on is to be at least 3mm thick if plastic (and vinyl is a form of plastic), so you could simply double them up or first put on a vinyl base layer to increase the overall thickness to 3mm, but whatever, there are plenty of 192 Model 3’s with vinyl which will all be due their NCT’s in Q4 this year so if we start seeing reports of mass fails due to vinyl plates then I’ll put the originals back on when mine is up for NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Ah very good I so wasn't sure from looking at the picture

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Hii all,

I'm seriously thinking about getting the Model 3 Standard RWD.

I'm doing a test drive next Saturday so I'm really looking forward to it.

I have a few questions and hope it's OK to post them here.

I've seen some videos where they mention connectivity - does it just require a shared hotspot from your phone or how does it connect?

Also - approx how much is a full charge costing? I know it depends on your tariff but ballpark figure?

Anything really negative I should be aware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Build quality seems to be the big negative but highly subjective and also dependent on where the car is built. Great value new at the moment but residuals are all over the place and could go south again if there is another price cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Negatives

You will smile every time you walk up to the car

You will smile every time you floor it at the lights

You will laugh when someone in the know tell you it will need a new battery every few years ...

It's pretty bad, for your face muscles, owning a tesla, be warned

😀

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Enjoy the test drive, but test drive other EV's. Its the only way to differentiate the Tesla from the others. You will quickly realise the Tesla is faster, drives better, handles better than most, if not all of the others in its class.

But best to test drive a few as otherwise current tesla owners get accused of been tesla fanboys for stating the pros unfortunately.

Connectivity - Yes, you can hotspot or get premium Connectivity for 9.99 a month. ITs pretty much the only recurring cost of a new tesla currently. I pay it, its hassle free and saves the messing around of creating hot spots, messing if it didn't connect and also means i can leave the car, with my phone and the kids still have full access to you tube, Spotify, Netflix and Disney etc

Charging Costs - Completely dependant on tariff. But if you opt into the Energia EV rate right now, its 13.75c per kWh, so 60x13.75 = €8.25 to fill from 0 (keeping it simple and not mentioning charging losses, cable losses etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Core6

You get premium connectivity free for a month when you get your car. That offers music streaming and aerial view navigation (and other stuff too, I'm sure).

You have to have Netflix / Spotify subscriptions as well if you want them.

After the free month is up you have to pay €10 a month if you wish to continue with premium subscription.

Not paying the €10 a month doesn't impact navigation functionality just the aerial view.

Software upgrades are the same with or without premium connectivity. You need wifi connectivity for those.

The cost of charging is completely related to the electricity rates you are being charged. The RWD M3 has a 60kWh battery but you'll probably never charge from 0% to 100% (and there is a buffer so the usable capacity is less). There are also losses in charging (maybe 10%).

I am on a Smart meter rate and it costs around €7 to charge from 10% to 100% but that is using the lowest rate at night.

That's great, thanks.

What sort of range are you getting in reality as I know the official figures would need to be taken with a pinch of salt?

Real world range, I drive Dublin to Galway, 90% motorway at 120km a good bit.

Quick top up at Athenry for 10 to 15 mins and back home with a good buffer. Could reduce charge and get home with less buffer but it works for me.

Ac on and heated seats and no driving at 110.

Are you talking one way? I was looking at A better route planner to get from Galway to Dublin airport, leaving with 100% battery and I’d get there with 35%. Though according to the official range I should comfortably make it return without a charge.

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

Hi. Sorry, should have been clearer, that's up and down on the same day

The official range of 490km is a pipedream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Regarding the charging, you're almost never going to top up from 0-100%.

A more useful way of thinking of the cost is kWh/100km.

M3 should average around 15-17kwh/100km depending on amount of motorway driving you're doing.

So just multiply the efficiency x unit price of electricity

e.g. 16 x €0.20=€3.20

Vs a diesel

5l/100km x €1.75 = €8.75

You'll be doing smaller top ups rather than empty to full, same as topping up a diesel with €20 every few days.

Have one 3 years and no downsides and miles ahead of my previous Hyundai EV, although I liked that at the time.

Yeah, thought so 😉 Think I’ll always have to charge at Enfield

So is there a supercharger or some sort of high power charger in Enfield?

• Advertisement

Yeah, supercharger off the motorway at the Johnstown estate

Advertisement