Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Guinness 470ml can

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I honestly thought Comet's post was a windup...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Summary of Diageo's statement on Liveline...

Blaming COVID-19 for creating many challenges including... supply issue with floating widgets! Fixed widget is "temporary" solution. The fixed widget can is slightly smaller (470ml); this change was made to keep the supply chain going. The amount of Guiness is the same(?). Floating widget is due back in production in 2021. 500ml cans w/widget are available in 8 pack format. Pushes the pricing back on retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

irish_goat wrote: »
    I honestly thought Comet's post was a windup...

Yeh when I heard it I thought I better let you all know :pac:

I was on RTE earlier and saw there was a cut of the Liveline piece.

Started it and the first man starts to say not alone is it smaller but it's not as good.

So I had to crack the crate open to see what I thought myself. I just thought it was going to be smaller and nothing else.

I'm fairly fussy with the cans. I had to buy Tulip glasses during lockdown, I also put them in the freezer for a while and do the 180 degree rapid pour and it does seem to help it a bit.

The head on these is nowhere near as thick and while it didnt have thick bubbles it was fairly uneven in general.
    There must be far less Nitro in the bottom compartment.

Taste wise I dont really find a difference but getting as close of a head to a pint is fairly important.
    These would be more for someone who would drink them from the can, any glass and not really care about much else.. visitors calling etc.

I think I'll revert to the 12 packs after this crate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭mikeecho

someone who would drink them from the can, any glass

I think I'll revert to the 12 packs after this crate.

The 8 & 12 packs are becoming a little scarce.

Shops have stacks of 470x24 trays

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    Cause we drink too much and can't control our own intake.

Speak for yourself, there chief, cos you aren't talking 'bout me with that guff. I'd rather not have to deal with being ripped off under the guise of helping the alcos from destroying their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/pandemic-leads-to-supply-issue-of-floating-widgets-in-cans-of-guinness-39652053.html

Funny:

A third caller, Dave Dunne, said that the missing 30ml is a “mouthful” and in a slab of 24 cans, adds up to “24 mouthfuls”.

“I didn’t realise till I bought them that they were the small cans and they poured very very badly, with a tiny collar

“Someone says to me, it wasn’t dancing in the glass at all, it was like a vicar’s collar,” he added.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭beachhead

Was the difference reflected in the price at all?

No,price the same.But then,what of the week is it or shop to confuse everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭beachhead

mikeecho wrote: »
    someone who would drink them from the can, any glass

The 8 & 12 packs are becoming a little scarce.

Shops have stacks of 470x24 trays

Bulmers Cider gone from 500ml slabs to 440ml.same price

• Registered Users Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Probably part of the reason they are short of widgets.
    On sale in UK from Monday and here next month.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Probably part of the reason they are short of widgets.
    On sale in UK from Monday and here next month.

There is unlikely to be any actual widget shortage

L1011 wrote: »
    There is unlikely to be any actual widget shortage

I know. But Diageo are claiming a widget shortage is the reason for the smaller cans.
    It makes absolutely no sense to me how it can be related but that's PR companies for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

They are doing a promo soon in the 8packs that will include 2 free 0.0's

But like everything, people will have a preset mindset that the 470ml is different and will imagine some difference.

I tried something like this a while ago to prove the point.

Three identical products that had a fragrance. All three had different labels /pictures that matched the smell. All 3 were different colours.

We asked people to do descriptions of the smell and all but one person gave three different descriptions for each.

Even after telling them that they were all identical, many still argued that they were different.

The Power of suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Darc19 wrote: »
    But like everything, people will have a preset mindset that the 470ml is different and will imagine some difference.
    I thought the same, but the head does look very small. People have said the widgets work randomly (as I find with 500ml too), some had tips on getting them to activate.

A guy did a comparison here. He said it was a blind test but it can't really be, even if literally blindfolded you will know one glass is less full, and even if they same he should not have done the pouring.

Also the 500ml can is not settled in that photo, and will look terrible once it is, terrible to me anyway as the head is going to be massive and have airy foam due to the glass being too big for it.

msmx5 wrote: »
    Picked a slab in Aldi for €19.67 along with some proper 500ml cans... did a blind tasting.

530364.jpg

530365.jpg

Both cans in the fridge overnight and taken out at the same time.

530366.jpg

Both cans poured identically one after the other without delay and result can be seen.

470ml can without normal floating widget was a flop and flat - no settling and no creamy head - looked like it had been sitting there for a half how when poured.

Taste:
    I did a blind test - the 470ml wasn't as bad as it looked but it was not as nice as the creamy 500ml can - 470ml tasted a bit "burnt" too.

Overall I am very un-impressed and will not be buying any more slabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Surprised they just didn't send the 440ml's from over here. They have the normal widget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

RasTa wrote: »
    Surprised they just didn't send the 440ml's from over here. They have the normal widget

Thank god they didn't, losing 30ml is heartbreaking enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Maybe you all will switch over to the superior Guinness now, the original.

guinness-original-irish-draught-stout-12x-500ml-nrb-case_temp_1.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

"Brewer's source 1821". Before roasted barley was legal in beer. For a company that trades heavily on its history, it really doesn't give two poops about its history.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I reckon most guinness drinkers would hate it.

The big cans are still available cheap enough, 12 for 15euro in dunnes and centra at the moment. That works out at €28.20 if the case was 470ml cans, i.e. price per volume

The head is most definitely smaller, I've poured 4 cans this evening and the heads are small
    At one stage I thought there was going to be no head at all as just black stout was pouring until a bit of a head developed. Frightened the ****e out me, a Guinness without a head nearly
    Definitely different to the 500ml widget cans

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

Boycott the 470ml can slabs until they get the message. I'm buying 500ml only from now on. The 470mls are duds also by all accounts so far.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Boycott the 470ml can slabs until they get the message. I'm buying 500ml only from now on. The 470mls are duds also by all accounts so far.

If you want to pay 50 quid for a slab in ten weeks, go ahead.

This is the only way they can continue to offer slabs at a reduced price one the latest round of nanny state controls kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

These new cans would suit me perfectly. I usually take the head off with a spoon as I assumed it was unhealthy or would increase my cholesterol level. I only buy these cans when on a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Maybe it needs to be poured differently?

With the floating widgets the nitrogen goes into the liquid even as you pour.

With a fixed widget, if you pour immediately maybe you lose some nitrogen as it is not in the liquid once you start pouring

So maybe try opening, wait for 4-5 seconds, then pour?

Can someone do this and check.

As this experiment is In the in the interest of the consumer, a 7am can is OK.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    These new cans would suit me perfectly. I usually take the head off with a spoon as I assumed it was unhealthy or would increase my cholesterol level. I only buy these cans when on a deal.

That's a new one on me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Yyhhuuu wrote: »

The head is the same beer but with lots of smaller nitrogen bubbles, when people say creamy head, its not real cream.

:)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just as an aside I noticed the Irish times piece on the non alco Guinness that is being launched mentions it will be sold in 500 ml cans

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

scotchy wrote: »
    The head is the same beer but with lots of smaller nitrogen bubbles, when people say creamy head, its not real cream.

:)

Surely that comment was a wind up?

Just as an aside I noticed the Irish times piece on the non alco Guinness that is being launched mentions it will be sold in 500 ml cans

I am looking forward to trying this.
    Their non alcoholic beer is supposed to be quite good.
    I'd be interested to see what non alcoholic Guinness will taste like.

• Advertisement

wally1990 wrote: »
    I am looking forward to trying this.
    Their non alcoholic beer is supposed to be quite good.
    I'd be interested to see what non alcoholic Guinness will taste like.

I've a feeling it will take off when it comes out on tap (if the pubs ever open again).

Advertisement