Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Show Finding Misery 9/10 /20

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Because as this thread has showed in this segment people say oh your on crutches must be underlying condition can't happen otherwise. That or they just rat on his style instead

Drop foot owing to nerve damage (neuropathy) or myopathy is a recognised complication of prolonged ICU stay,(long before Covid was a thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Epping Forest

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    This idea that RTE are scaremongering is slightly absurd.

Aside from the fact that it calls into question their integrity, who is supposed to be benefiting from it?

It's the deep state, isn't it? Or does Dee Forbes' husband own a mask factory or something?

It's not financially driven propaganda, it's the nanny State in full swing. RTE is our State broadcaster. Paddy can't be trusted with information and facts, like there's probably a 100,000/1 chance of a random 17 year old suffering that much after contracting covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭maebee

Gone is the time you would hear a totally surprised winner, it's choreographed to death now.

My brother won it about 10 years ago. Trip to the Maldives and 10 grand. They phoned him about 15 minutes before the "call" and warned him that there should be no screaming/shouting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

walshb wrote: »
    Can’t fooking stand his shows, yet they are still infinitely better than Ryan Tubridy!

I am not a big fan myself, but it has a bit of fun and laughter, something that doesn't exist in Tubridyland.

They actually ring them in advance?

It would appear the only spontaneous thing that would ever possibly happen Mr. Tubridy would be if his Amazon order (support your local bookshop, folks!) came a day early.

There's probably something in GDPR that prevents them getting somebody to answer a phone live on the show, in case wrong individual answered-they have to determine the caller's identity or something like that by asking 10 official questions and reading out legal terms & conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭HBC08

Watching Graham Norton, some silly banter as usual, but the only mention of coronavirus so far was a piss take of Trump leaving the Medical Centre to drive past his supporters.There is also a socially distanced audience.Its a world apart from the Late Late Misery Show.

Haven't watched Graham Norton in years,just switched over after reading your comment.Laughed twice in 2 minutes,had the feel of a flagship Friday night entertainment show,imagine that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

How can Graham have an audience and the Late Late can't their well spaced out

maebee wrote: »
    My brother won it about 10 years ago. Trip to the Maldives and 10 grand. They phoned him about 15 minutes before the "call" and warned him that there should be no screaming/shouting etc.

I must have heard that show... I vaguely recall being very jealous of someone winning a trip to Maldives!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Shy and socially awkward young lad tells his story about Covid. Men give him grief because he’s still trying to find his place in the world.

I don't agree with him being slagged. But I don't agree with him being used to push the "COVID is dangerous to all" narrative either - because it's not, the death stats don't back this up. How many people of his age have died solely from COVID. None.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Read the posts and had a good few laughs. Questions crossed my mind on more than one occasion:
    Q1. Why would anyone waste a Friday night (even during Covid) watching the Late, Late Show?
    Q2 Why would anyone waste any of their time on this earth having any interest in any celebrities anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

The late late covid show trying to convince young people that they have more than one in 100,000 chance of getting a serious dose even though no one is watching it...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,702 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Storm 10 wrote: »
    How can Graham have an audience and the Late Late can't their well spaced out

Or why did RTE send Caitriona Perry up to Derry today to broadcast the Six One News from inside a building? That place has a worse rate of the virus than Spain, she should actually be self isolating for 14 days, certainly wouldn't be safe returning to RTE if we are to believe the virus news touted on RTE News. They have 2 northern correspondants they could have used, joke of an organisation risking people's lives...if you believe the virus is more than a common cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

One of the worst shows ever.
    They even broke dara o brien and he’s normally good for a laugh.
    That fcukin cake nonsense was the biggest load of sh1te ever televised aswell.
    Fcukin cat malodeon start to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Aside from the fact that it calls into question their integrity, who is supposed to be benefiting from it?

It's the deep state, isn't it? Or does Dee Forbes' husband own a mask factory or something?

ITS DENNIS IT IS ALWAYS DENNIS O'BRIEN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭HBC08

Read the posts and had a good few laughs. Questions crossed my mind on more than one occasion:
    Q1. Why would anyone waste a Friday night (even during Covid) watching the Late, Late Show?
    Q2 Why would anyone waste any of their time on this earth having any interest in any celebrities anywhere?

I'm on a 24 hour sleep over shift at work.I like working fri into sat as things usually quieten down in the evening and I have the Late Late on it the background and follow it on boards.Wouldnt have a notion of watching it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Drop foot owing to nerve damage (neuropathy) or myopathy is a recognised complication of prolonged ICU stay,(long before Covid was a thing)

Yes but not my point. My point would be saying he was only bad as underlying conditions due to them

This just got posted on my youtube feed.

Turns out that The Late Late Show was not always fun as we might have thought!

That KillianM2 is a great lad all the same.

This just got posted on my youtube feed.

Turns out that The Late Late Show was not always fun as we might have thought!

That KillianM2 is a great lad all the same.

Yes there were the occasional misery specials, including a crime victim special, and another one featuring dead children. Also the upbeat specials of course.

Music Box wrote: »
    Has Amy taken something

My thoughts precisely. It was very, very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,714 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Nobody under 45 watches the late late tubs

I am under 45 not by much but I am and I watch it most weeks. I only watched the first segment of last weeks but watched moment of this weeks.. it was not the worst one except for the cake part and Amy zbout her drivel nonsense. I zoned out there.
    maebee wrote: »

My aunty and her husband won it a few years back 10grand and a trip to New York in a time when you might have wanted to go there. Not that they needed it as they are well off anyway. But ye they asked to keep 5 grand to spend at home here and were allowed.
    I had also entered that night so was quite annoyed and have never entered since well maybe once since thats it. No luck.

• Advertisement

Yes there were the occasional misery specials, including a crime victim special, and another one featuring dead children. Also the upbeat specials of course.

Have to say though, Cat, I put it on and it's captivating. The honesty of the different people on the show, real people - a priest, a Mayo footballer, an RTE staffer all talking about their problems with the drink. I think a lot of it was to do with Gay's presenting though. There was none of the fake laughing. A huge sincerity about his asking of the questions, and nodding along. No fake laughing or over empathizing like with the current presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I really like Amy hueberman, follower her & Brian on instagram, seem like real down to earth people with a great sense of humour. But watching her tonight I actually changed channel for a while, she was so giddy, talking a load of nonsense and just really hard to listen to. Maybe she was just so excited about her new show and being on TV..... Wish them all the best with their new arrival

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The format was regularly changed, that's what made it work

Special tribute nights, extended debates, confronting the issues of the day (AIDS, drugs etc). Also extending the show way past the advertised finishing time when the talk was going well

Occasional misery shows with a point to them were fine, and it held viewers attention when it wasnt similar misery segments every week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Just read the first post, basically a spoiler, not only do you know who is on but we're told what they're going to talk about. Not blaming the poster btw but it's not really an interview, just a rehearsed chat, nothing spontaneous, where everyone sticks to the script and exchanges niceties. Utterly pointless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

The government, media, RTÉ, PR companies, NGOs etc, as well as familial and professional links, have become so intermeshed in Ireland that there are no longer clear boundaries between which is which. That segment was a government scaremongering exercise masquerading as a human interest story. Just think about what steps must have happened to set up this appearance on top of all the other media spots-he even got mentioned in the Dáil. It would have to involve PR/media agents, people from the HSE and someone in the government. How would all that apparatus have sprung up around an anonymous sick teenager so quickly? Did the media go looking for him or was he presented to them with a readymade narrative attached?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Skid X wrote: »
    Ah sure, there's a tiny chance it could kill you if you are young and healthy

But you would also have more chance of being hit by a bus

The words in that song are so so true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭maebee

I can't understand why Tubridy's friends and family are not saying to him "You're the presenter of an entertainment show. Death and misery week in, week out, is not entertainment. Stop it. Likewise for his daily radio programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

Skid X wrote: »
    I think I posted this in the Summer Lockdown thread, it was a good example of what could happen when Gay was in charge

Wow, what a ringmaster Byrne was.

He had the smarts to let a a show holistically go in its own natural direction. Some nights it felt like we were after meeting some characters down the pub.

Looks like that was one of those nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Just read the first post, basically a spoiler, not only do you know who is on but we're told what they're going to talk about. Not blaming the poster btw but it's not really an interview, just a rehearsed chat, nothing spontaneous, where everyone sticks to the script and exchanges niceties. Utterly pointless.

That post is taken from RTE they post who is on the show usually on Thursday, it's gone way down hill with all the doom and gloom, I cant understand how Renault are sticking with it as it no longer is an entertainment show when in times like this it should be, love to know are they loseing viewers.

We should all email Renault about the show content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,223 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Really enjoying the ‘Lennon 80’ Channel (Sky Channel 371 over here), on-air till next Friday.

Not only has it kept me in bed watching, it’s also inspired me to stage my own ‘bed-in’ protest against the Late Late Show!

The message is...IMAGINE A DECENT MISERY-FREE FRIDAY NIGHT ENTERTAINMENT SHOW.

Peace. :cool:

Advertisement