Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'I've successfully ordered a PS5' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jvrk

FixitFelix wrote: »
    I can defend it because I'm getting mine, people just seem a little sore that they didn't get on the preorder quick enough with GS

So last November was not quick enough to preoder with gamestop? They oversold the **** put of it and massively ****ed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭bennyl10

I can defend it because I'm getting mine, people just seem a little sore that they didn't get on the preorder quick enough with GS

They had preorders going months before they were allowed.

When they took money from people, for months prior, they failed to mention it had no guarantee of one at launch. In my local for example, any from February onwards are not for launch.

That’s awful business practice.

You benefited from it, it doesn’t make it okay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

jvrk wrote: »
    So last November was not quick enough to preoder with gamestop? They oversold the **** put of it and massively ****ed up.

Depends were you ordered, and let's be honest unless you have kids that are getting it from Santy i dont see why people would be panicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

You are literally Fr. Stack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    You are literally Fr. Stack.

Bye girls!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

bennyl10 wrote: »

When they took money from people, for months prior, they failed to mention it had no guarantee of one at launch. In my local for example, any from February onwards are not for launch.

That’s awful business practice.

You benefited from it, it doesn’t make it okay

Were you both of you told that you didn't secure your in-store pre-orders?

I've one PS5 and XSX ordered in-store since January. I wasn't dragged in the door and made "register my interest" with a €50 deposit for each.
    I decided myself, logically knowing that they were just doing it, off their own backs. If you registered you're interest way back too..... Surely that's on you?
    I have confirmation that I secured an online pre-order of the PS5, from them. I jumped on the pre-orders the second GS put their link on the night of the PS5 event. Knowing that I might not get the in-store orders.
    I get why everyone is upset, but this has been talked to death. And saying stuff like
    , is a bit ott. They never stated they were exactly pre-orders. But it stated online to call in-store to register your interest.
    Surely you knew back then that they were doing this themselves, that early on before anything was known about the consoles?
    They also have said they would be contacting people leading up to the release and also stated it on their Covid message.... That nobody saw coming.
    Yes I'll be disappointed if I don't secure the in-store options, as one is meant for a family member. But there's still plenty time, to see if you'll be contacted or not.
    They've never contacted people for previous releases, until a week or two before the date. So fingers crossed.

bazzz wrote: »
    Were you both of you told that you didn't secure your in-store pre-orders?

I've one PS5 and XSX ordered in-store since January. I wasn't dragged in the door and made "register my interest" with a €50 deposit for each.
    I decided myself, logically knowing that they were just doing it, off their own backs. If you registered you're interest way back too..... Surely that's on you?
    I have confirmation that I secured an online pre-order of the PS5, from them. I jumped on the pre-orders the second GS put their link on the night of the PS5 event. Knowing that I might not get the in-store orders.
    I get why everyone is upset, but this has been talked to death. And saying stuff like , is a bit ott. They never stated they were exactly pre-orders. But it stated online to call in-store to register your interest.
    Surely you knew back then that they were doing this themselves, that early on before anything was known about the consoles?
    They also have said they would be contacting people leading up to the release and also stated it on their Covid message.... That nobody saw coming.
    Yes I'll be disappointed if I don't secure the in-store options, as one is meant for a family member. But there's still plenty time, to see if you'll be contacted or not.
    They've never contacted people for previous releases, until a week or two before the date. So fingers crossed.

Basically told not to expect one and on my first receipt in which paid €50 it says ps5 hw pre order not that I registered my interest. Was 2nd person to preoder in the store so presumed was getting hence why no online preorder taught was been smart preodering it a year early for Christmas this year but guess not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Which gamestop in limerick? as im no 2 on list on parkway and they have no idea if I would get 1 at launch and to be met by asarcastic comment of prepare not to get so if you do you will be surprised. I pre-ordered last November and online are useless.

William St. Simply because I knew out of the 3 that would be the most likely to be open for a midnight launch (albeit none are opening now I believe).
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'd be curious how this works. do they have separate lists for digital and disc? If they run out of the one you want by the time they get to you, will they offer you the other or just skip you?

When Sony confirmed 2 models, I went back into GS and spoke to them. Said I wanted the disc version, he said fine, most people were looking for the discless. That's the last update I've had.

I can genuinely see people lodging complaints with CCPC because of this...

Also, I was told when putting the deposit down that it was a pre-order, not registering interest. So that's on GS, not me.

William St. Simply because I knew out of the 3 that would be the most likely to be open for a midnight launch (albeit none are opening now I believe).

I thought William Street is staying open for click and collect?

They are, but won't be doing a midnight launch iirc.

• Advertisement

They are, but won't be doing a midnight launch iirc.

Ah ok. Good thinking not choosing the other 2 anyway.

Basically told not to expect one and on my first receipt in which paid €50 it says ps5 hw pre order not that I registered my interest.
    Might I ask, what made you go in so early to pre-order(like you say).
    It clearly stated "register your interest in-store" on the store page and on the posters on their doors. Nobody knew what the consoles were going to be or look like back then. How could GS have slots for pre-orders? It was register your interest but for €50 if you decided to go with it.
    Basically told not to expect one
    When did they say that to you was it recently? Did they tell you 100% you're not getting one? Or were they just tempering your expectations?
    Also did they contact you by email towards the end of September to say you won't be getting one till 2021? That's what they sent out to the ones in that situation.
    I'm not trying to agitate you further, I'm in the same boat regarding in-store. But what will be will be and if not launch day, it'll be before Christmas(unless you were officially notified by email to state otherwise).

And yes it's been a **** show on GS end, Curry's, Hardly Normal and many other retailers. Plus Sony did say they would give people notice before pre- orders went live and that didn't happen and there's no getting around 2020 and it madness so far.
    But it's similar panic for every console releases. As you know from your PS4 pre-order back in the 2013 pre-order thread. I don't think GS broke any law, correct me if I'm wrong.
    I'm replying because we've been through all this over and over since the PS5 thread and then this thread was opened because of it. What will be, will be and it going around in circles is not going to change it.

I'm sorry if I come across the wrong way. Just to say again, I'm not trying to instigate anger, frustration. There's nothing can be done about it and I'm in the same boat as you and the others here.

I was told it was a preorder not a register of interest and that I was 2nd person to preoder it. Reason I preodered so early was knew 2 kids would want 1 for Xmas this year and was guessing it would have been around Xmas release date. Like if I was told instore was register of interest and not a pre order as was told everytime paying off I was 2nd on list they even called and asked which console I wanted after preoders went live. I would have tried and secured console some where else. I was told not to expect one this year but if I did I'd be lucky.

I was told it was a preorder not a register of interest and that I was 2nd person to preoder it. Reason I preodered so early was knew 2 kids would want 1 for Xmas this year and was guessing it would have been around Xmas release date. Like if I was told instore was register of interest and not a pre order as was told everytime paying off I was 2nd on list they even called and asked which console I wanted after preoders went live. I would have tried and secured console some where else. I was told not to expect one this year but if I did I'd be lucky.

Guess we'll just have to see. I was having a look on the wayback machine, to see if I could find the actual pages for register interest in-store message. That was up since 2019. It was definitely on the posters and counter tops too.
    If it was actual pre-orders so far back. I better phone up tomorrow and pre-order PS14 for the future kid I don't have yet ;p Don't take that too seriously.
    I know it's a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Guess we'll just have to see. I was having a look on the wayback machine, to see if I could find the actual pages for register interest in-store message. That was up since 2019. It was definitely on the posters and counter tops too.
    If it was actual pre-orders so far back. I better phone up tomorrow and pre-order PS14 for the future kid I don't have yet ;p Don't take that too seriously.
    I know it's a mess.
    it was registered interest which then turn into preorders when they knew price and first come first served would get a ps5.

I think anybody that order early should get a ps5 but it also depends on how many the store you per order in get which GS doesn't really know at the moment which is scary.

I was like 99 in line in my GS which had like over 300 perorders.I perorder in july 2020 so did feel to confident I would get one.I was lucky enough I got a perorder of smythstoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

Reckon your panicking over noting. If your second on that list as they told you, you should be fine. Have a feeling stores are covering by telling people not to be expecting one. The lads in the shops at times know as much as us. Until they get lists sent down with names and numbers they can't tell you or me anything. Not sure how true this is but seen on Facebook two weeks ago my local was contacting people saying look we cant give you one till next year. They should have some idea if your near the top of that list that your getting one. Or maybe they are just sick of telling people. It was definitely preorder on the poster in my store for ps5 and series x. It was a handwritten note attached to the till. €50 ps5 preorder

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

I know it's a mess.
    The phrasing on the site shouldn't matter. I walked into a shop, asked if they were taking pre orders for the ps5 (this was after the disk/digital announcement) and I picked the one I wanted.
    No mention of register interest in the shop

Yeah, the first mention of 'register interest' I heard was after the site pre-orders went live and subsequently stopped once they had enough.

Connavar wrote: »
    The phrasing on the site shouldn't matter. I walked into a shop, asked if they were taking pre orders for the ps5 (this was after the disk/digital announcement) and I picked the one I wanted.
    No mention of register interest in the shop

I'm talking about way before the announcement. It was register your interest, for €50 back then.

I'm talking about way before the announcement. It was register your interest, for €50 back then.

And I pre-ordered in July and was told it was a pre-order.

• Advertisement

rob808 wrote: »
    it was registered interest which then turn into preorders when they knew price and first come first served would get a ps5.

I think anybody that order early should get a ps5 but it also depends on how many the store you per order in get which GS doesn't really know at the moment which is scary.

I was like 99 in line in my GS which had like over 300 perorders.I perorder in july 2020 so did feel to confident I would get one.I was lucky enough I got a perorder of smythstoy.

I'm not disagreeing regarding the register your interest for €50 people, should get the first come-first served slots.
    I was just stating it was register your interest, long before (early 2019) anyone knew what the consoles were going to be.

So when I got a glimpse of the register interest in-store via the website and went to the shop to do just that....
    I had no expectations of GS knowing of stock allocations or actually securing one. Nobody was forced/dragged in the door of GS by there employees.

They have a good idea of their allocation, since late September and if you read one of my earlier posts on this.
    They told me they had already contacted the ones that didn't secure a console before Christmas. Which I've seen people confirm.

Anyway I hope everyone gets one, but there's nothing can be done now at this stage.
    Lots of retailers f*^"ed up and the year that it's been hasn't helped. Other than that, it's the usual shiftfest/panic as previous console releases. Which also fuels the hype.
    People will get them eventually, the constant GS pre-order roundabout here has me worn out;)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

Also needs to be pointed out, that anyone who pre-pre ordered with Gamestop in store before they went live would not have tried to preorder on their website that night. As they would rightfully assume theirs would be ahead of any website orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Crazy people were allowed pre order with out a release date. I tried ordering at 9.30 day orders opened to be told no sold out. Tried scan in England they accepted my oreoreder and took the money. I got email off them yesterday after a month saying I won't be getting one on release date. Disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

It’s kinda mental we have no way of knowing what’s happening with instore gamestop preorders are they just gonna wait till December and hold um or what

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    It’s kinda mental we have no way of knowing what’s happening with instore gamestop preorders are they just gonna wait till December and hold um or what

Are GameStop this bad at every launch? I ordered my PS4 off them and don’t remember any issues. Well bar on the night it took a few hours to get to the top of queue as they were letting people trade in games and old consoles at the midnight launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Paul MCM wrote: »
    Are GameStop this bad at every launch? I ordered my PS4 off them and don’t remember any issues. Well bar on the night it took a few hours to get to the top of queue as they were letting people trade in games and old consoles at the midnight launch.

Definitely not as bad as this, last few hardware launches I went to, I did the same thing, preordered early, paid off month by month and just picked up the hardware on launch day. This is the first time I've genuinely not known if I'm gettting one or not

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

PS4 launch was alright in gamestop, I was in and out in 15 minutes that night. I also only ordered a PS4 later in the day and still got it on release :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There’s probably a few factors making it more intense this time around. The gap between orders opening and the console going on sale is very narrow, hence more of an immediacy when it comes to pre-orders. I’d also say the pandemic has increased demand - despite the very real economic precariousness of the moment, a new console is a ‘normal’ and frankly safe treat in extraordinary times. When you can’t even go out for a pint, people understandably want to treat themselves in other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭McFly85

I see Jim Ryan has said they got as many preorders for the PS5 in 12 hours as they did for the PS4 in 12 weeks.

I would definitely say the pandemic has played a part. I know a couple of people who would generally get a console a couple of years in who have preorders because they haven’t been able to do much else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Has anyone preordered stuff like this off Smyths before for delivery? Will they post it to you on release day, or do they post it ahead of release day so you receive it on release day?

Advertisement