Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump vs Biden 2020, Ultimate battle for the fate of our universe (pt 3)Read OP 01/11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭hometruths

is_that_so wrote: »
    I don't think it's a trend, it's an eye back to what happened in 2016 and I think they'll happily take the hit for being wrong or hypocritical here over being seen to enable one of the campaigns. As a story it's far too late in the game and it's quite limp. Had it been charges it would be everywhere.

It is certainly a trend to dismiss stories as Russian disinformation.

The same media outlets dismissing this story have been running stories about the Senator from MBNA since the 1990s.

Now all of a sudden they are not credible?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

schmittel wrote: »

It appears standards have been raised since 2016.

Media outlets, social media and the general public are much less inclined to run with unproven allegations.

Graham wrote: »
    One of the big positives from this campaign is the American public and American media are largely ignoring the type of mud-slinging or empty accusations that featured so largely in 2016.

That's a good thing.

I agree with that, just don't agree that this story is simply mud slinging in the hope that something sticks.

It appears standards have been raised since 2016.

Media outlets, social media and the general public are much less inclined to run with unproven allegations.

Nonsense. They're pretty quick to run with unproven allegations of Russian disinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,316 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I agree with that, just don't agree that this story is simply mud slinging in the hope that something sticks.
    What verifiable information has been released?
    Anything?
    Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

It’s an outlandish story so riddled with holes, that hardly anyone finds it credible. If they wanted to push this story, they should have worked on it months ago and tried lend some credence to it, instead of rushing it and making an ass of it.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Nonsense. They're pretty quick to run with unproven allegations of Russian disinformation.

What unproven allegations?

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

One of the great things about a democracy is you are free to disagree.

Some of the fringe elements in the US appear to disagree too, fortunately they're remaining on the fringes largely unnoticed.

I can understand how it might be frustrating for any campaign that was relying on false accusations and mudslinging as a campaign tactic.

gmisk wrote: »
    What verifiable information has been released?
    Anything?
    Nope.

All of it is verifiable. That's the whole point!

All of it is verifiable. That's the whole point!

No matter how many times you say it, the US media/authorities largely disagree and baseless accusations continue to go largely unreported.

• Advertisement

One of the great things about a democracy is you are free to disagree.

Some of the fringe elements in the US appear to disagree too, fortunately they're remaining on the fringes largely unnoticed.

I can understand how it might be frustrating for any campaign that was relying on false accusations and mudslinging as a campaign tactic.

Agreed and disagreed ;)

I just think it is worrying when people like Glenn Greenwald, Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, are dismissed as cranks on the fringe elements.

No matter how many times you say it, the US media/authorities largely disagree and baseless accusations continue to go largely unreported.

The information is verifiable. That is a fact. It should only need to be said once.

Whether or not the US media/authorities wish to try and verify it is another question.

It's quite entertaining watching some of the fringe elements in the US turn themselves inside out trying to turn every election discussion into a conspiracy theory based on dubious accusations.

The best part being where the response from the public at large is a big fat 'meh'.

I wonder if there will come a point where the fringes realise their horse expired weeks ago and there's really little to be gained from relentless flogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Igotadose wrote: »
    It's all about killing people with the #IMPOTUS and his followers. Nothing else.

https://rudepundit.blogspot.com/2020/10/trump-and-maga-nation-want-to-kill-you.html : NSFW
    Can we ban IMPOTUS if we're banning "sleepy Joe"? For one, it doesn't make sense. It should be IPOTUS, or ImPOTUS at least....
    And also, he was acquitted. So...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The information is verifiable. That is a fact. It should only need to be said once.

Whether or not the US media/authorities wish to try and verify it is another question.

When you say the information is verifiable, do you mean that it has been verified or there is the possibility of it being verified?

Because even Tucker cannot produce any actual evidence to verify.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    When you say the information is verifiable, do you mean that it has been verified or there is the possibility of it being verified?

Because even Tucker cannot produce any actual evidence to verify.

There is the possibility of it being verified.

Come back when that's happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Can we ban IMPOTUS if we're banning "sleepy Joe"? For one, it doesn't make sense. It should be IPOTUS, or ImPOTUS at least.... And also, he was acquitted. So...

Mod
    If you have an issue with a post report it. Otherwise get back on topic please.

What unproven allegations?

A lot of the media were quick to label the story as Russian disinfo. There is no evidence for this. Eg

Hunter Biden story is Russian disinfo, dozens of former intel officials say

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

https://www.usnews.com/news/elections/articles/2020-10-30/stocks-turn-on-trump-as-markets-tumble-to-worst-week-since-march-ahead-of-election

The stock market has been tumbling all week. Not that it was ever any kind of indicator for the economic health of ordinary people, Trump can't even bullsh*t about this now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

They ran with a story of an open FBI investigation looking at possible Russian disinformation in relation to the laptop.
    That is a legitimate story.

The laptop story itself when it first aired was shaky at best and understandable the the news desks of most of the news organisations didn't want to run with it.
    Bobulinsky gives it a little bit more credibility and no doubt there will be more to come on this story, but it's understandable that news desks would want to properly verify and Investigate this story before running with it.

The Opinion side of the media would have the same journalistic constraints and there has been no shortage of opinion written about it.

A lot of the media were quick to label the story as Russian disinfo. There is no evidence for this.

You're concerned that the rebuttals for unproven allegations are lacking evidence?

That would be fixed by actual evidence for the original unproven allegations.

Come back when that's happened.

I think you're missing the point. I don't really care whether it is verified as true or false. I would just like to see a willingness to verify it one way or another.

I think you're missing the point. I don't really care whether it is verified as true or false. I would just like to see a willingness to verify it one way or another.

Like I said, when the original accusations have been verified then there might be something to discuss.

Until then, meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It is certainly a trend to dismiss stories as Russian disinformation.

The same media outlets dismissing this story have been running stories about the Senator from MBNA since the 1990s.

I see it as a very slim story, a conveniently timed one, but happily embraced by the Trump campaign. It may turn out to be false, it may be true but become a dropped investigation. If it is allegedly from the Russians well that's a really poor effort and they've been caught out by all the early voting.

is_that_so wrote: »
    I see it as a very slim story, a conveniently timed one, but happily embraced by the Trump campaign.

At this stage even the Trump campaign appear to have realised the story is gaining absolutely zero traction outside of their hardcore supporters and have moved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭vojiwox

Can we ban IMPOTUS if we're banning "sleepy Joe"? For one, it doesn't make sense. It should be IPOTUS, or ImPOTUS at least....
    And also, he was acquitted. So...

I agree ImPOTUS is better, good call.

Factually correct anyway, he was impeached.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Donald Trump is actually a woman. I don't really care whether it is verified as true or false. I would just like to see a willingness to verify it one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

If Rudy Giuliani would make the hard drive available that would aid the process, but he chooses not to share it.

This will all be bottomed out in due course (or completely dropped by the people who are currently promoting it immediately after the election).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭vojiwox

I'd say work more on this and come back when you are ready to go. That would be my advice to Trump, Rudi and Tucker. Then present the story and evidence in a clear and succinct way. Stay far away from vagueness and terms like bombshell and smoking guns.

People get tired of people talking and not doing.

They need to lock a few people up at this stage, or stop the lock x up chants.

It tends to lead to them looking like they are chancers who don't really have a case against anyone.....

Oh and release something else to even up your credibility, say.. a health plan. Anything really. Just actually DO something and stop tweeting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement