Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Wesekn.

plodder wrote: »
    Haven't been reading the thread lately, so I don't know if been discussed, but what about pushing the LC back a couple of months?

Continue..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Haven't been reading the thread lately, so I don't know if been discussed, but what about pushing the LC back a couple of months?

... And offer vaccine to all teachers before schools re-open?
    We need to stick to the groups. Even if it's March when they reopen that's putting teachers ahead of the over 65s, a complete non-runner in terms of perceived risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭combat14

govt still thinking about getting LC students in to school in a couple weeks time ..

will have to see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

combat14 wrote: »
    govt still thinking about getting LC students in to school in a couple weeks time ..

will have to see what happens

To be fair i think most people want students back sooner rather than later. But not at all costs. A calm measured approach with consultation and support would be welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

GT89 wrote: »
    Personally think teachers just want an easy life and do as little work as possible. In addition to hcws supermarket staff, bus drivers, some taxi drivers, some tradesmen, postal workers, warehouse workers and many more have been working throughout the pandemic and have just on with it.

Meanwhile teachers who will continue to be paid their full wages will say it's they won't work to protect their safety. Put them on the 350€ a week and see how quick they change their tune.
    No commute, no having to deal with unruly school children
    Could you please remind of how many children died of cv19 in Ireland?
    So if schools are deemed unsafe even with social distancing why is public transport and essential retail allowed to continue?

Mod

Threadbanned, do not post in this thread again. You are continually trolling here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭plodder

is_that_so wrote: »
    We need to stick to the groups. Even if it's March when they reopen that's putting teachers ahead of the over 65s, a complete non-runner in terms of perceived risk.
    I don't see why those groups should be cast in stone at this stage, but maybe not all teachers, rather teachers over a certain age, or who are medically vulnerable?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

LuasSimon wrote: »
    One class in a big school, why is it such a big problem .
    Selfish teachers destroying the careers and life’s of this years leaving cert students .
    LuasSimon wrote: »
    Until teachers have 52 weeks holidays a year teachers will never be happy

Mod - Threadbanned

You have no respect for teachers.

Do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Fully accept teachers concerns about working in classrooms, completely get that. But let's be honest, remote learning last year was an absolute **** show. Feel sorry for LC students. They missed most of last year and this year looks to be similar.

This half measure of 3 days a week was doomed to fail anyway, consulting the unions is always a good start though. I really don't know what the alternatives are though. As I've said, there's no good choices now, only levels of crappy ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Fully accept teachers concerns about working in classrooms, completely get that. But let's be honest, remote learning last year was an absolute **** show. Feel sorry for LC students. They missed most of last year and this year looks to be similar.

This half measure of 3 days a week was doomed to fail anyway, consulting the unions is always a good start though. I really don't know what the alternatives are though. As I've said, there's no good choices now, only levels of crappy ones.

The real problem has yet to arise - how can a teacher give predicted grades to a kid they have had such limited touch time with. This will all blow up again with an impossible mess in predicted grades systems.

As long as everyone accepts that this decision will be the cause of LC chaos when the Gov tried to avoid such I am happy. No point blaming Norma then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

The real problem has yet to arise - how can a teacher give predicted grades to a kid they have had such limited touch time with. This will all blow up again with an impossible mess in predicted grades systems.

As long as everyone accepts that this decision will be the cause of LC chaos when the Gov tried to avoid such I am happy. No point blaming Norma then.

Absolutely, 100%. There won't even be mock exams to give guidance towards grading. An absolute nightmare scenario.

I don't know how a traditional LC is going to work this year. Students are usually just revising at this time with most of the course covered. In my daughters year, only chemistry is fully covered, and there will be very little time left to cover what's left.

I actually don't blame Norma as such, she offered an alternative, but it wasn't really a runner, for many reasons. Actually don't think there's anyone to blame, it just is what it is.

• Advertisement

I don't see why those groups should be cast in stone at this stage, but maybe not all teachers, rather teachers over a certain age, or who are medically vulnerable?
    That puts some of them in a different group anyway. Groups are categorised according to the risk from COVID. Vaccinate them and their risk and the potential health service pressure diminishes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

It's almost as if the current LC programme is outdated and problematic...

Haven't people been upset by it's structure leading to it being under review for a long time now?

Maybe Gov't should stop kicking the can down the road and actually sort things out. LC. HSE. Education. Remote learning plans. etc.. (I'm sure there's a long list)

A poster rightly mentioned a few pages back that the infighting and taking it out on the teachers / begrudgey only lets the gov't away with their ineptitude.

They need to be held accountable, and they need to (apparently be made to) sort it out.

What about the Unions being more proactive and visible here? Have they been very vocal about what they need from the government in order to keep things going properly? Have they been doing assessments, polls, and research to present a list of matters to govt outlining the issues and proposals for solutions? Are they waiting on the government to just announce things and then responding reactively? I'm not sure here, hence all the questions. :)
    I mean, if they published a document that showed, 'look, we did our part and gave this detailed document to government on July 2020 and they did SFA and now here we are,' or maybe government would have had no choice but to respond and maybe we all wouldn't be here in these situations? Thoughts?

The government showed appalling leadership here

They basically went to ground

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Russman

As I've said, there's no good choices now, only levels of crappy ones.

This could be posted on every COVID thread and sums it up perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Didn't take long for this narrative to emerge. Forget the fact that principals, teachers and students opposed the move

https://twitter.com/McConnellDaniel/status/1347302271311343619?s=19

Didn't take long for this narrative to emerge. Forget the fact that principals, teachers and students opposed the move

https://twitter.com/McConnellDaniel/status/1347302271311343619?s=19

Looks like a clown on a power trip

Who is he

Wesekn. wrote: »
    Looks like a clown on a power trip

Who is he

Political Editor Irish Examiner

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

Pascal O'Donoghue on Radio1 claiming teachers unions were consulted regarding the reopening of schools. The blame game is well and truly on.

I think this government/michael martin/norma foley/everyone of them is taking what people say out of context to suit their own agenda...we know the unions were consulted about going back...but according to the unions were not consulted on 6th years returning or special schools.....I think these ministers should be made answer direct questions now....they all seem to have a habit of when asked something forget to answer the question and waffle on at something else..
    and there is no doubt in my mind that Norma Foley is not fit for her job....

Political Editor Irish Examiner

Greasing his wheels probably

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Some amount of teacher bashing on twitter. Amazing how the narrative has changed overnight, apparently now the vast majority of students wanted to go back.

• Advertisement

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Some amount of teacher bashing on twitter. Amazing how the narrative has changed overnight, apparently now the vast majority of students wanted to go back.

People have to vent their anger at somebody, and teachers are the easy, lazy and convenient target.

And people are dumb. People have the power to elect better government that work for us and unite to protest against inept, corrupt bs but we don't. We just moan and act the bollix. Sometimes you really do despair at the state of humanity.

Where is that information, out of curiosity?

Was always going to go that way.

The culture of slicing teachers at any opportunity is well established here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

Maybe they should use their Union!

is_that_so wrote: »
    Where is that information, out of curiosity?

I see you switch from thread to thread accusing and criticising teachers. Nice! Gotta spread the joy, don't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

And if the reopening had gone ahead and there were the likely resulting outbreaks of Covid among students and teachers (leading to teachers unable to continue online teaching for any student), Twitter would be alight with ‘why didn’t the unions speak up?’
    The students wanted to go back for the most part to see their friends and get away from their parents supervision.
    The reality is that people like to criticise teachers and no matter what they do, it’s the wrong thing.

There was a large social media campaign amongst the students to protest the reality around the LC and pull a no show on Monday.

If this had not happened, there likely would have been a very poor showing anyway between that and parents not allowing it/student fears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭amacca

I think this government/michael martin/norma foley/everyone of them is taking what people say out of context to suit their own agenda...we know the unions were consulted about going back...but according to the unions were not consulted on 6th years returning or special schools.....I think these ministers should be made answer direct questions now....they all seem to have a habit of when asked something forget to answer the question and waffle on at something else..
    and there is no doubt in my mind that Norma Foley is not fit for her job....

They are some weasels imo

They deliberately set all.this up to get this reaction so they could blame it on unions. It was all calculated to cover their own scaly hides

Then they'll go on about leadership etc when it was all about avoiding any fallout for the outcome by leaving no choice but for the unions to make the decision for them

Of all the people on the Govt side I actually had a bit of respect for Pascal but I see he's well able to slither and spin too with his lies about consulting.....they did in their hole consult about this rushed decision that was made purely to provoke this reaction so they could try and transfer blame for schools being shut elsewhere. The point was to not consult.......And their lackeys will be out in force pushing the blame unions its not our fault narrative on social media no doubt...if ever there was a scapegoat strategy to muddy the waters this is it. You would hope people would see through this bull**** but no doubt they rather get on their favourite hobby horse instead.

If only there were real alternatives to vote for that were even a smidgeon more trustworthy but you are left with the PBP and Looney left intent on stirring racial tensions recently and SF with their populist plans completely lacking in realistic costings etc etc

It's an extremely poor standard of politician we have on this Island but firstly you get what you vote for and then eventually you have no choice but to vote for sleveens because thats all there are....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Absolutely, 100%. There won't even be mock exams to give guidance towards grading. An absolute nightmare scenario.

I don't know how a traditional LC is going to work this year. Students are usually just revising at this time with most of the course covered. In my daughters year, only chemistry is fully covered, and there will be very little time left to cover what's left.

I actually don't blame Norma as such, she offered an alternative, but it wasn't really a runner, for many reasons. Actually don't think there's anyone to blame, it just is what it is.

Maybe they'll ultimately have to wipe this year and start all secondary school years from scratch again in the autumn. Would it be possible to cancel all first year university courses for 2021-22?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭C__MC

How do use textbook reading during a live lesson via teams?
    Can you share and ebook with students?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement