Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

That TUI rep was not picked by members. It was a publically advertised job that he applied for. His performance on that radio show was appalling.

Perceptions of teachers are quite poor, for what reason I'm not sure, but I do contend most of the general public have no concept of what the job entails and only see it through their own memories or through their children's eyes. The prevalence of media bias towards teachers, as exemplified by what happened that school in Carlow, also has a role to play.

Well that may be so with respect to the TUI rep, but the point stands, it is up to TUI members to sort that out, nobody else.

I have explained where I think a lot of the poor perception is coming from. The media report on it, but really the teaching unions set up an open goal. The unions are really just a representation of the members, so if you feel they aren't doing a good job it is up to you to sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    Well that may be so with respect to the TUI rep, but the point stands, it is up to TUI members to sort that out, nobody else.

I have explained where I think a lot of the poor perception is coming from. The media report on it, but really the teaching unions set up an open goal. The unions are really just a representation of the members, so if you feel they aren't doing a good job it is up to you to sort that out.

How do I "sort that out"?

Well if you are a member you will know better than me. You chose to have TUI represent you, if you think they do a bad job, its up to you to decide what you do. I personally don't care if TUI do a good/bad job at representing their members.

Well if you are a member you will know better than me. You chose to have TUI represent you, if you think they do a bad job, its up to you to decide what you do. I personally don't care if TUI do a good/bad job at representing their members.

So you are confident that members can sort the problem but can't say how? In some schools you don't have a choice about representation. Maybe don't pontificate on issues outside your area of expertise.

So you are confident that members can sort the problem but can't say how? In some schools you don't have a choice about representation. Maybe don't pontificate on issues outside your area of expertise.

Well you don't need to be a member do you? It is entirely up to you what you do. The TUI rep made a fool of the members and nobody else. Are you seriously thinking I should have some sort of solution for you?

• Advertisement

Well you don't need to be a member do you? It is entirely up to you what you do. The TUI rep made a fool of the members and nobody else. Are you seriously thinking I should have some sort of solution for you?

No, I'm seriously thinking you shouldn't make assertions about what members can or cannot do when you clearly haven't a clue. You were the one who said members should "sort it out", I mearly asked how.

Yes I need to be a member, I wouldn't have secured my CID without the union.

Your insistence at spouting your ill informed opinions proves my point about where people's perceptions of teachers come from. They don't understand the job (how could they if they haven't taught, no more than I know the ins and outs of any other profession) but because of personal experience and/or the media they think they do and regurgitate their ill informed opinions thus influencing others and so the cycle continues.

No, I'm seriously thinking you shouldn't make assertions about what members can or cannot do when you clearly haven't a clue. You were the one who said members should "sort it out", I mearly asked how.

Yes I need to be a member, I wouldn't have secured my CID without the union.

Your insistence at spouting your ill informed opinions proves my point about where people's perceptions of teachers come from. They don't understand the job (how could they if they haven't taught, no more than I know the ins and outs of any other profession) but because of personal experience and/or the media they think they do and regurgitate their ill informed opinions thus influencing others and so the cycle continues.

It has nothing to do with teaching. More generally, it is up to union members to ensure that their union is doing a good job at representing them. I personally don't care how teachers are perceived and it really isn't up to me to change it.

Out of interest, who do you think is responsible for the TUI rep? Who should sort it out?

It has nothing to do with teaching. More generally, it is up to union members to ensure that their union is doing a good job at representing them. I personally don't care how teachers are perceived and it really isn't up to me to change it.

Out of interest, who do you think is responsible for the TUI rep? Who should sort it out?

I'm not looking for you to change it. I'm using you as an example of what we see again and again in relation to teaching and education, the ill informed offering opinion as fact.

The Executive would deal with the rep.

I'm not looking for you to change it. I'm using you as an example of what we see again and again in relation to teaching and education, the ill informed offering opinion as fact.

The Executive would deal with the rep.

You were wondering why the perception of teachers is bad. Look at how you choose to be represented. If your union comes out with stuff like that it reflects badly on the members, irrespective of how the rep was put in that position. I agree that you get a lot if ill informed comments with respect to what teaching involves. But this is really just related to the union, nothing to do with teaching or education as such.

You were wondering why the perception of teachers is bad. Look at how you choose to be represented. If your union comes out with stuff like that it reflects badly on the members, irrespective of how the rep was put in that position. I agree that you get a lot if ill informed comments with respect to what teaching involves. But this is really just related to the union, nothing to do with teaching or education as such.

I give up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I give up

Don't waste your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭vid36

Multiple Covid19 cases diagnosed at a Galway school.January will be interesting .

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/coronavirus-ireland-multiple-covid-19-23095543

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

By using this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

This:
    2ndcoming wrote: »
    Don't waste your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Presume even the ones taking the p1ss know that you have to be a union member to benefit from education-related/ contract/pay deals etc. achieved through collective bargaining. The union might also provide some legal advise/ cover if needed.

Most teachers join to have that cover on the background but don't engage with regular union meetings/duties.

Hence the average teacher isn't really mirrored thro union reps or Easter conferences.

No more than I'd think every business person in IBEC association is as annoying as their reps on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Presume even the ones taking the piss know that you have to be a union member to benefit from education-related/ contract/pay deals etc. achieved through collective bargaining. The union might also provide some legal advise/ cover of needed.

Most teachers join to have that cover on the background but don't engage with regular union meetings/duties.

Hence the average teacher isn't really mirrored thro union reps or Easter conferences.

No more than I'd think every business person in IBEC association is as annoying as their reps on the news.

All teachers, whether a union member or not get the event benefits or downgrades of collective deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

All teachers, whether a union member or not get the event benefits or downgrades of collective deals.

Not always, if there is a union split on something. Also have to declare of available to work strike days.

Think some FEMPI measures were threatened on anyone not covered by collective bargaining a few years ago until both 2nd level unions agreed, then everyone was covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

meeeeh wrote: »
    All that anyone remembers from those AGMs is that another minister was heckled and shouted at.
    Only simpletons remember a quick headline and nothing else. Let's face it, those same simpletons haven't exactly been teacher advocates for a long time.

Only simpletons remember a quick headline and nothing else. Let's face it, those same simpletons haven't exactly been teacher advocates for a long time.

which simpletons would they be?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

You might want to call me simpleton (which I am not but if it makes you feel better...) or you might realise media just reports what is going on. It's easier to believe there is some grand media conspiracy so you don't need to deal with your own failings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

You might want to call me simpleton (which I am not but if it makes you feel better...) or you might realise media just reports what is going on. It's easier to believe there is some grand media conspiracy so you don't need to deal with your own failings.

Failings? Did you apologise to the male members of staff in that school you falsely accused?

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Failings? Did you apologise to the male members of staff in that school you falsely accused?

Hahaha
    Clam down dear that's slightly irrational.

Hahaha
    Clam down dear that's slightly irrational.

Perfectly calm, you were the one throwing around the word "sluts" in that thread with absolutely no reason to.

What failings are you implying in your previous post?

Perfectly calm, you were the one throwing around the word "sluts" in that thread with absolutely no reason to.

What failings are you implying in your previous post?

That's exactly what is the about wardrobe policing. It's treating girls like little sluts.

That has nothing to do with Covid but I'm sorry I think girls (and boys) were treated appallingly by irish state or church and wardrobe policing is a reminder of that. (Don't get me started on single sex schools). It makes me very uncomfortable and something I or any of my school mates never had to deal with. I don't think Irish girls dress any more inappropriately than their peers in other countries and yet that thread had horrific insinuation about the way they dress by people who are a lot older than the girls. So spare me the outrage about me using word 'slut' sarcastically. That's exactly what it was implied.

That's the last I'm going to say on the subject. That thread was closed for a reason and I'm not going to continue debate here.

A uniform policy was being enforced, a policy signed and ratified by the board, the parents association, and the student themselves. When students were corrected, one parent decided to make up a story which did immense damage to the school, to the male members of staff, and to the harmony of the school. No apology was issued by the journalist in question for reporting fake news, for stirring up a twitter lynch mob, and for setting you off on your soap box. I ask have you apologised and retracted your comments but it seems you have not.

This speaks to a broader theme in this thread, for some, schools are never in the right, and even when others are clearly in the wrong, like that journalist, they will have ardent defences from zealots who can't let their own personal biases go.

I mentioned the doctors strike in the asti thread, 1 response from one D. Trump, liked by another armchair critic of Irish schools across the waves. You couldn't make it up. They had railed against teachers even hinting at a strike for a thousand posts previously, this merited one sarcastic quip. So no i don't think there is a media conspiracy, I would say that there is an outright disdain on display both in the media and on social media,which generally is not shown by the parents and students I work with on a daily basis.

Conditions in schools are raised, they are handwaived away. Outbreaks reported, hand waived away. Actions to support those at risk and in need of further measures? Handwaived away. Remote platforms demanded to equalise educational inequality, someone cites a wealthy grind school as some sort of rebuttal.

The country was on highest level of lockdown for 6 weeks, we are still at over 250 cases a day and positivity rate of 2.7%. People would want to really reflect on the 2021 they want here.

6 weeks after lockdown was initiated in March we were on 250 cases a day and positive rate of 3.5%. Today, 6 weeks after level 5, with schools open and hundreds of thousands more people at work than in the spring, we are on 260 cases a day and 2.7% positive rate.

6 weeks after lockdown was initiated in March we were on 250 cases a day and positive rate of 3.5%. Today, 6 weeks after level 5, with schools open and hundreds of thousands more people at work than in the spring, we are on 260 cases a day and 2.7% positive rate.

Who are these hundreds of thousands. It's wfh unless essential.

Who are these hundreds of thousands. It's wfh unless essential.

Are you that insulated from the real world that you haven’t noticed the vast increase in daily traffic compared to April/May?

Construction for one would have a huge number working, but there are a multitude of others operating now that were not in spring

Here is the list
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0328/1127041-list-essential-jobs/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,610 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yeah, but the narrative back then was masks will asphyxiate you now you have to wear them outside.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Yeah, but the narrative back then was masks will asphyxiate you now you have to wear them outside.

Who needed a mask in April? The only place most people went where there was other people was the supermarket

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement