Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Nothing about widespread transmission landing us in level 5?

CMO described it as that.

I edited my reply, we went a lot quicker than others. Belgium is at 1500 per 100k we wereat highest 310 or there abouts.

Cmo described it as that he also said schools should stay open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Clarity around definition of close contacts in schools according to this article, maybe I'm being dense but is it any different to what a close contact has been deemed to be since September?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40074659.html?type=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true
    There's no difference between the criteria in that article and the criteria at the start of the school year, from what I can see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 220 ✭✭holdyerhorses

Given the news on the Vaccine thread related to t cell immunity studies, the below looks very very promising.

< 24 years;
    36% of cases
    6% of the hospitalisations
    0% admitted to ICU

And Case fatality ratio (CFR, %) for the last 14 days at 0.14

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No you haven't - because there are fvck all children in Ireland being home schooled.

Whoosh!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

My daughter came home from school today and said they had all swapped seats in school. All new pods etc. Doesnt make much sense to me in terms of infection control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

My daughter came home from school today and said they had all swapped seats in school. All new pods etc. Doesnt make much sense to me in terms of infection control.

A lot of schools did it due to the week's break. Seat planning done prior to midterm as HSE have to be informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

khalessi wrote: »
    A lot of schools did it due to the week's break. Seat planning done prior to midterm as HSE have to be informed.

I still think it's a bit mad considering the virus has an incubation period of up to 2 weeks. Why not leave things be?

I still think it's a bit mad considering the virus has an incubation period of up to 2 weeks. Why not leave things be?

Personally I would agree with ya, but I know some teachers got new classes and put the names into pods and ended up with a couple that were disruptive to the class as being too chatty etc. But the on the otherhand practically no covid in schools:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Pods make little sense in terms of infection control tbh when you take classroom realities into account, teachers have been constantly saying that on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BeamMeAway

It is a joke. My kids did as well. This whole covid nonsense is a bunch of bs. Nobody has the flu or normal cold all kids get within first few weeks of school because it is all covid now. My kids have had colds and one of my kids and I have had the stomach bug the past week, but no no, it is covid. Let us get real. Just a way to see how much we will tolerate before we put a stop to this commie nonsense.

• Advertisement

BeamMeAway wrote: »
    It is a joke. My kids did as well. This whole covid nonsense is a bunch of bs. Nobody has the flu or normal cold all kids get within first few weeks of school because it is all covid now. My kids have had colds and one of my kids and I have had the stomach bug the past week, but no no, it is covid. Let us get real. Just a way to see how much we will tolerate before we put a stop to this commie nonsense.

It seems it’s a conspiracy between the commies, nazis and lizard people, in association with reverse vampires and the rand corporation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

It seems it’s a conspiracy between the commies, nazis and lizard people, in association with reverse vampires and the raind corporation
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Hopefully someone will beam you away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

My sons class changed pods also, he was delighted. I dont see the big deal tbh. The kids have been out of school for 9 days so its an ideal time to change up the seat plan. Probably keeps spirits high for the kids to have a change of table especially considering they are not mixing as they usually would. My sons teacher is absolutely keeping the pods apart as best he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BeamMeAway

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Hopefully someone will beam you away.

Well the commies will beam us all away if they ever take control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

No change for either of our Kids. Still sitting beside the same people.
    Windows open fully. Some Kids in coats etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 220 ✭✭holdyerhorses

khalessi wrote: »
    Personally I would agree with ya, but I know some teachers got new classes and put the names into pods and ended up with a couple that were disruptive to the class as being too chatty etc. But the on the otherhand practically no covid in schools:cool:

36% of cases in the last 14 days in under 24s, which would suggest it is obviously in schools, but this is the trade-off society made. Thankfully only 6% of the hospitalisations and 0% of the ICU admissions, given that it's likely that immunity is possible through infection, this really is very promising news all round.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,466 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Still need to review the numbers in detail, but what I was actually talking about in the post you so kindly referenced were the Dublin numbers, which would have required 300+ cases today to reverse the trend in the county. And given there were only 240, the point still stands.

We are now at 321 cases in Dublin, despite having level 3 for ages, and a full lockdown for close to a fortnight.

Are you going to deflect again?

Smacruairi wrote: »
    We are now at 321 cases in Dublin, despite having level 3 for ages, and a full lockdown for over a week.

Sure thats nothin dont be silly now, raising a fuss away with ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Well the commies will beam us all away if they ever take control.

Sure thing, Senator McCarthy.

Smacruairi wrote: »
    We are now at 321 cases in Dublin, despite having level 3 for ages, and a full lockdown for close to a fortnight.

Handy little chart linked here that explains it all. I suppose you believe there were 321 cases in Dublin because schools went back?
    There was backlog of 258 on Saturday. Great site here:

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/api/swabs/

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭redunited

My oldest comes home every day complaining of how cold the school is because of windows open. How much longer can kids be expected to sit in cold schools trying to learn?

I am at the point where I am now considering removing him because of the cold, I think the law states the average temperature should be at least 17c?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

redunited wrote: »
    My oldest comes home every day complaining of how cold the school is because of windows open. How much longer can kids be expected to sit in cold schools trying to learn?

I am at the point where I am now considering removing him because of the cold, I think the law states the average temperature should be at least 17c?

The windows are being left open to improve ventilation which is important in helping curb the spread of the virus. Has he tried wearing base layers under his uniform? Apparently they make a huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

It's a tricky one that's not going to get any easier as the winter temperatures really set in.

Unfortunately, ventilation is the only genuine Covid protection that schools have, as there is no SD and pods/bubbles are as real and useful as a Harry Potter spell.

It's tough on everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

I don't mean to be harsh, but the cold isn't going to do him any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

You are of course free to remove your child from school and register to home school. The school is using the windows to increase ventilation which is in everyones best interest. Order some base layer thermals, a body warmer could also be useful to keep him warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

So tell us, what should the school do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

So tell us, what should the school do?

I'm sure there's a graph, chart or some statistics somewhere that will help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Layers is the way forward, thermals and vests and thicker socks and jumpers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement