Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Covid in schools

What's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭vid36

We found that reopening schools, lifting bans on public events, lifting bans on public gatherings of more than ten people, lifting requirements to stay at home, and lifting internal movement limits were associated with an increase in R of 11–25% on day 28 following the relaxation.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30785-4/fulltext

• Registered Users Posts: 39,685 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

WHO must be ran by Jim Corr also

To be fair to Jim I doubt even him would have made Mugabe a Goodwill Ambassador.

Also up until quite recently didn't the WHO echo Jim's views on masks?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You should go to the Schools reopened thread and ask there as I reckon this thread will be closed

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058119207

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BeamMeAway

Sorry I have not read every page here but I was curious does anyone think schools will close back down? I am literally driving meself mad wondering daily lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

BeamMeAway wrote: »
    Sorry I have not read every page here but I was curious does anyone think schools will close back down? I am literally driving meself mad wondering daily lol.

Id be very surprised. I think we will see classes be sent home and even whole schools close if they reach a certain number of confirmed cases and rightly so. But wide spread school closures I would think highly unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

No one knows. Leo the leak doesn't leak to the education sector 😂😋

At this stage I don't see any circumstances in which they would. There will possibly be individual schools that will close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

No one knows. Leo the leak doesn't leak to the education sector 😂😋

At this stage I don't see any circumstances in which they would. There will possibly be individual schools that will close.

Leo the Leak could have been the one to persistently leak to the media over the summer about the changes in the leaving cert ever 3 days to be fair, it is his style it seems, especially when dealing with unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Boggles wrote: »
    To be fair to Jim I doubt even him would have made Mugabe a Goodwill Ambassador.

Donald is that you?

I can take different research coming to different conclusions and pointing out science is not infallible but to dismiss WHO research saying that they had Mugabe on their payroll is ridiculous.

I can't see widespread school closures before Christmas. January . February are impossible to predict at this stage.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    Donald is that you?

I can take different research coming to different conclusions and pointing out science is not infallible but to dismiss WHO research saying that they had Mugabe on their payroll is ridiculous.

Never suggested he was on the pay roll, I assumed Goodwill ambassador doesn't garner a wage, could be wrong though. maybe expenses?

WHO criticised for appointing Mugabe goodwill ambassador

• Registered Users Posts: 37,728 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

meeeeh wrote:
    There lots more reasons than that to dismiss the WHO. They gave us incorrect information at the outset and ignored Taiwan.

vid36 wrote: »
    We found that reopening schools, lifting bans on public events, lifting bans on public gatherings of more than ten people, lifting requirements to stay at home, and lifting internal movement limits were associated with an increase in R of 11–25% on day 28 following the relaxation.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30785-4/fulltext

As I commented previously on this study, it produced an interesting set of results, and puts to bed those persistent shouts on the restrictions thread that restrictions did nothing. However it did not find any statistical difference between any of the measures evaluated

Never suggested he was on the pay roll, I assumed Goodwill ambassador doesn't garner a wage, could be wrong though. maybe expenses?

"How the **** are we going the get Zimbabwe and their related client regimes to back any of our programmes"

"Just make Bob a goodwill ambassador and they will let us in. It means nothing and will massage his ego a bit and more importantly improve health outcomes for millions"

I will admit I was exaggerating there and no I have no proof they paid him but it still doesn't change the fact their research has very little to do with who they use as goodwill ambassador. Mugabe was respected by some in Africa. It's very west centric view for us to expect WHO only to use people we approve when they should those who can make difference in the region.

In the same way I'm not defending their soft approach in China (hard would be tricky too) or ignoring the results in Taiwan. There is huge amount of research done under WHO and financed by world countries and it can't all be dismissed by their ignorance of Taiwan, by who their president is or who their goodwill Ambassadors are.

I can't see widespread school closures before Christmas. January . February are impossible to predict at this stage.

I think all schools will be shut by December 22nd and wont open again until January 6th

There may also be a shorter closure of about a week on the 15th of February. This may be discretionary however and some schools may only close for 2 days

"How the **** are we going the get Zimbabwe and their related client regimes to back any of our programmes"

"Just make Bob a goodwill ambassador and they will let us in. It means nothing and will massage his ego a bit and more importantly improve health outcomes for millions"

Really? Because by all accounts it was a solo run by the main man.

The net effect of which tarnished their reputation world wide, including Africa.

At the very least it brings into question the decision making at the very top, which was all ready under immense scrutiny, which has been since dragged into this pandemic when science was suppressed for the perceived "greater good".

The balance of which long tipped before they u-turned on their BS.

So again, not the most trust worthy of sources it has to be said, in general and specific to this very relatively infant pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BeamMeAway

I think all schools will be shut by December 22nd and wont open again until January 6th

There may also be a shorter closure of about a week on the 15th of February. This may be discretionary however and some schools may only close for 2 days

Lolol.I think the commies will shut them down again (not including holidays,) just don’t know when.

All the world's leading experts believe that schools should be closed when community transmission is high; look for Dr Fauci's , Professor Ferguson's and Dr Dorsten's various comments on the issue. To do otherwise is putting politics or ideology ahead of science, it is a form of fundamentalism.

Sir Jeremy Farrer, a member of Sage (UK version of NPHET) states in an interview that transmission particularly in secondary schools is high.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54772375

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

1000+ children test positive with the virus a week, virtually none being linked back to schools.

You tell me.

There are 1,000+ children being diagnosed with COVID-19 in Ireland each week?! can you put up a link to show that please?

Also have you calculate numbers infected by schools and then deducted the two to arrive at those being home schooled? what about crèches?

No you haven't - because there are fvck all children in Ireland being home schooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭aziz

Got told today that there’s a case in my daughters primary school but no other details

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

aziz wrote: »
    Got told today that there’s a case in my daughters primary school but no other details

The child was probably diagnosed over the mid term.

All the world's leading experts believe that schools should be closed when community transmission is high; look for Dr Fauci's , Professor Ferguson's and Dr Dorsten's various comments on the issue. To do otherwise is putting politics or ideology ahead of science, it is a form of fundamentalism.

Not this nonsense again...

Every tine someone comes up with that they are actually never able to define what 'high' or 'out of control' means. It always turns out to be what themselves define as high and nothing any of the quoted experts said or defined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It's not nonsense, from a purely Covid suppression point of view it's indisputable fact.

We have more than that to consider, including children's development and mental health. From the looks of it by restricting nearly everything else we may be able to keep them open too.

There are 1,000+ children being diagnosed with COVID-19 in Ireland each week?! can you put up a link to show that please?
    Have a look.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-1914-dayepidemiologyreports/

Every tine someone comes up with that they are actually never able to define what 'high' or 'out of control' means. It always turns out to be what themselves define as high and nothing any of the quoted experts said or defined.

What would level 5 have indicated to you?

2ndcoming wrote: »
    It's not nonsense, from a purely Covid suppression point of view it's indisputable fact.

We have more than that to consider, including children's development and mental health. From the looks of it by restricting nearly everything else we may be able to keep them open too.
    Define high. Nobody put a number on what is high enough to close schools. It's useless without some actual numbers or some objective markers.

What would level 5 have indicated to you?

It indicates to me that nonessential businesses ard closed and we're stuck inside 5km. Does it indicate something else to you?

Because our 14 day numbers are at the lower end in Europe, hospitals are not under pressure, normal health service is going so tell me what else should level 5 mean?

• Advertisement

It indicates to me that nonessential businesses ard closed and we're stuck inside 5km. Does it indicate something else to you?

Nothing about widespread transmission landing us in level 5?

CMO described it as that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement