Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

Are you sure they split it in to two orders? They may have dispatched separately but it should still be the same order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭obi604

Looking to buy a power bank from Amazon uk. It seems no one ships, I guess to do with battery and postage etc.

any other avenues here?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Antipathetic

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 42 flipper2009

I buy from Amazon.de and Amazon.fr, never from Amazon.co.uk

However the price changes when it gets to delivery. The price usually goes up by a couple of euro. This is before the delivery charge is applied.

Anyone know what that is about ? Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Different tax rate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

German VAT is 19%

Irish VAT is 23%

When you move to checkout, the German VAT is deducted and the Irish VAT added on.

Amazon UK works the same way - there UK VAT is 20%. I have Prime for Amazon UK so free delivery. There are no additional charges so I only use Amazon.de if the price is significantly cheaper as I have to pay for delivery there.

no customs charge on Amazon UK once you don't use a 3rd party seller.

they deduct UK VAT and add on Irish VAT. There are no other charges aside from shipping. And if you have Prime then that's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 flipper2009

So how do I know if I am using a 3rd party seller ? Is that when I go to More Buying Options?

The reason I don't use amazon.co.uk anymore is because I had to pay customs once on an expensive item. Are custom charges applied depending on the value of the item or has that changed recently?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Items under €22 used to be exempt.

Now everything is charged.

AfaIk, you'll know it's a 3rd party seller when it's not "sold by amazon".

Item needs to be sold or fulfilled by Amazon.

If you add a 3rd party seller's item to your basket then there is no VAT adjustment - that's another way of knowing.

I only order 3rd party items from Amazon UK as a last resort - usually a physical media item that's unobtainable elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Yeah different order numbers and different items in the "return items" screen

Also email said it split the order. Maybe because there were several things in it.

Strange, haven't seen that before. If you have prepaid An Post return labels I'd just return them separately with one box for each label.

If you are paying for the postage then just make sure you include both pages with the barcodes/return information in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

The amount of items that show as available for delivery to my saved address and then once I get to checkout it tells me there is a problem and to change my address! Most of it is sold and dispatched by Amazon! This is why my amazon spend has dropped by so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I think it might be the location of the fulfillment center that holds the stock? I believe some fulfillment centers don't supply items to Ireland, well thats the excuse I've had for items I have managed to order that were in stock and available to UK buyers but went on the long finger as far as dispatch went when ordered for an Irish address.

Wake me up when it's all over.

You can get prepaid An Post labels now???

When did this start? Do I need to specifically request them?

It's always the case that I've had to pay for postage back to amazon UK and then get a refund after.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

Depends what you are sending back - if the return is going back to Ireland they will give you a prepaid an post label - if Scotland you pay yourself and get a full refund - I just returned a printer which cost me 30e to send back tracked. Got it all back.

Orders sold by Amazon UK should have an option for An Post prepaid labels to Portlaoise. Orders fulfilled by Amazon are to Dunfermline and you pay yourself.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

No that’s not correct. It really is pick and mix, luck of the draw, centre dependant.

I recently had to return two items, one fulfilled by Amazon, the other sold directly by Amazon. Fulfilled was an an post pre paid label, direct from Amazon was a self service return to Scotland (and also a rather expensive return that Amazon covered - though I don’t see how it was worth their while)

nah no dice for me

Weird they say "We'll refund up to £9" ... that's a new one on me, on Amazon.de they refund whatever the cost is

Also here is the excerpt from the email saying they are splitting my order into two

It also depends on why you are returning the item. If it’s damaged due to Amazon’s flimsy packaging then you’ should get a return label to Portlaoise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Atlasden

Hello everyone,

If it was a random small company I would not be disappointed but this is Amazon and I really do not know what to do in this situation.

I ordered a TV from Amazon ES on 03.01.2024 and product was in stock. I also asked to customer support if there is stock and I got confirmation for the stock. My order was cancelled after a few days without any explanation and I tried to contact customer support but customer 3 support agents closed the chat before answering my questions or letting me finish my sentences. Then I saw price of the TV is dropped and I asked an email from Amazon ES that I can order again with the lower price and there is stock. I ordered it again with the lower price but a few days later my order is cancelled again with same excuse.

I can understand the stock situation issue if it was not written as "in stock" and if I did not get approval from customer support.

I am open to any advice, I write an email about this situation to complaint department clientes@amazon.es and nobody pays attention. Where can I complain about this situation and what can I do about this? Amazon customer support being rude like that and also misleading customers should be fixed. Amazon tell me to order again and again but will I continue doing this for weeks or months? 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I've chased similar issues a few times in the past (never got the product if they cancelled) and from the replies I got from Amazon reps seems to be that for larger and or heavier items Amazon consider it too expensive to ship to Ireland from certain fulfillment centers. In some cases they just left the order open for months and whenever I chatted to them wanted me to cancel. In those cases I just kept on at CS until an item finally arrived one item that was in stock the whole time took over 3 months. What may also happen is that CS will get on to the fulfillment center with stock and ask them to send the item, this happened to me on a daily bases when I kept on at them each day for a week and when a case was escalated. So it seems its the fulfillment center has the stock (CS checked that) but won't ship it for some reason.

If you have the time to waste just keep complaining to CS and ask how to escalate the problem. I wouldn't be afraid to say the CS was useless and couldn't solve your problem in there surveys and explain again why.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They had limits on TV sizes previously, only shipping up to 32" from the UK. I couldn't blame them for not shipping a big TV across Europe, the scope for damage is huge. CS is in one part of the world, reading from a script, probably thousands of miles from the actual warehouse, so they can't get answers either.

Thanks for the replies.

What do you advice, shall I choose different TV on Amazon ES(but it may be same scenario, waiting 10 days for 1 item then cancel and try again) or try another Amazon sites for Ireland? Not sure if Amazon DE, FR etc. Amazon UK becomes more expensive because of the import fee more than 100-160 Euros or more.

Or where can I buy in Ireland/Dublin? I checked a few places like Currys ie and Harveynorman but price are so high according to Amazon

Post edited by Atlasden on

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Why not buy local and avoid all the hassle? Lots of TV's on sale from various outlets. Look up Richer Sounds who have a "talk to" forum here on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Antipathetic

I can also recommend Power City if they have a good deal on the type of TV that you want.

Their customer service was always helpful and quick to get back to me whenever I had a question about the delivery.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

Thank you all, as you said it would be easier. I will try to check if I can find as cheap as Amazon. I will look at Richer Sounds and Power City. Please write if you can recommend others that can deliver to Ireland/Dublin.

Huh ?

Returned 5 or so items, and for every item I returned they added another £9 refund or so on top ... I didn't pay postage or anything, those are the prices including Irish VAT

Happen to anyone else?

I think I figured this out... when I asked to return the items they created separate return labels for each, but told me to put all of them in the one package (some were from different orders).

So the max refund for return postage is £9, so the system must have refunded me 5 x £9 for return postage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

Hi All

I bought 2 kids 10 inch tablets a few days ago from Amazon.co.uk, they were 154Eur for both.. I got a message today to say it was delayed and 'Initiated customs clearance process'. Can anyone tell me what I can expect to pay extra for these?

Would I be better off to send them back for a refund and order separately and if so how do I reclaim my custom charges?

Advertisement