Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Amazon US are notorious for light paper packaging that takes abuse in transit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

See https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121014573/#Comment_121014573

Fragile items packaged with little or no protection so they arrive cosmetically damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

has anyone ever had Chamomile Herbal Tea held up by customs ? I ordered a week ago from amazon and it went missing , got a refund and ordered again and it was supposed to be delivered today , got the same message as the last time Initiated customs clearance process

Dublin, Swords

and no progress since , am I paranoid for thinking anything labeled herbal gets extra checks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

how does the amazon return work when there is customs/duty involved? do we have to pay any customs again?

i got the amazon parcel via UPS

since its a huge box i wanted to send it back via courier and not anpost

(dont know if anpost accepts big box of amazon return)

amazon cs said i can use any parcel service and they will refund the fee

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭glen123

How long does it take to receive a refund these days? Bought a phone on warehouse sales which was glitchy. Contacted Amazon CS, they sent me a label to print, posted the phone back which was received by their Portlaoise center on 16/09. No update on Amazon site except that refund and return were requested on 13/09 and that I'd receive my refund when they receive the item.

Is this normal that it's taking such a long time? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Get on to CS. They seem to think it's ok to refund you when they receive it months later from A Post, despite you handing it to their nominated courier. They should refund you was soon as that happens, but they don't, of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

My most recent returns were refunded as soon as they were scanned in the post office. One was around £30 and the other was £100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Ordered a pair of black shoes, but they sent navy. Fit too small too. The latter would be my mistake but the colour was their mistake. Went to do the online return and see that they only refund shipping cost up to €9. The package is about 800g and according to An Post site that will be parcel rate of €21 (based on parcel up to 2kg) so I would be out €12.

Is there an option to have Amazon generate a return label that covers postage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

OK, figured out how to get live chat -- they don't make that easy and got this response:

"When the Return cost is higher than the automatic return postage value, you have to pay them first, and kindly share the return cost receipt with us, at "Return-postage@amazon.co.uk" And mentioned Order ID in the Subject, And send the Email from your Registered email address with us, - And we will refund for the Return cost + Item cost within 10-14 days"

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭EarWig

Guessing 90% won't even realise they can do that. We're in trouble here because they have real monopoly power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 2022work

Hello, I used to buy most of my stuff on amazon.uk but once Brexit happened I was getting hit with more charges so stopped using them and was using Amazon de for awhile.

Wanting to know has there been any changes to amazon.uk thst would be beneficial to us here in Ireland. I'm looking to start ordering again from there if it doesn't work out more expensive . Have seen some items that are 370e here in Ireland a d on amazon UK they are 227e. Would it be worth my while buying it or could it work out more expensive now because of extra Brexit charges here in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Depends on the items and who is fulfilling the orders. It supplied or fulfilled by Amazon all charges are visible at checkout. I'm never hit with extra charges.

Trend Router table.

When you say your not hot with extra charges, does this also means no extra charges from customs once it hits Ireland. So what you pay at the till is all I'll get charged once it arrives at my door

“Evil” Amazon deduct UK VAT 20% and add Irish VAT 23%. That’s it. No more charges aside from shipping (may be free if you have Prime or order is over a certain amount). The packages don’t get held up in customs & you don’t pay anything else. This only applies to items sold by Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon.

The majority of UK sellers don’t do this so if you order from them you can end up

1) Paying UK VAT & Irish VAT

2) Paying an Admin fee to An Post or whoever is delivering.

3) Not getting your package due to “failed electronic customs clearance”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

If the value is over €150 and the product is subject to Custom's Duty (many items are 0% so not always applicable) you would also be charged the duty payable but Amazon also take care of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Has anyone worked out a way of buying tools with a sharp edge on them from Amazon. I wanted a cheap set of carving chisels but I get the stupid prove you are over 18 restriction and UK address only when I try to buy them.

I can understand this for a knife but carving tools is taking it to a bit of an extreme.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Any ones in particular? I was able to take a set all the way to the end of checkout.

Its more complicated than I thought. These https://www.amazon.co.uk/Faithfull-FAIWCSET12-Carving-Chisels-Presentation/dp/B000C750L0/ they had been unavailable for ages then today for a gift I had a UK address set for delivery and they became available so tried to buy and hit the age issue now I've changed back to Irish address they aren't available again. Thats the same for most knives, just not available to Ireland.

Yes

Quite a few of my orders are over 150 and are treated exactly the same way as outlined in earlier post.

How do I know it's amazon selling it or not. See screenshot. Is it worth my while buying it and getting it sent to here in the South. I also have an address up north and will be using this tool up there aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The information on the seller is further down in the listing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newmember2

I'm presuming I'm not the first person to ask this, but what's the story with searching for items on Amazon, seeing the item you want at the price you want, and then when you go to 'See All Buying Options' you see that there is no actual 'buying option' to purchase the item at the price initially listed?

You live in Ireland, you have to put up with that. There is no buying options filter that Amazon use for their Irish customers. Often you see a price click the link and find the item isn't available at all, thats the point Amazon look at your address and figure out you are in Ireland and don't want to ship to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newmember2

Yeh, although only last night something similar to what you're describing happened me where I looked and found an item on Amazon UK and when I went to buying options the item in all its sizes was 'currently unavailable', so then I went to Amazon DE and bought it there instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

I've noticed this has been introduced on a bunch of items just now.

Items I bought before are no longer shipping to Ireland.

Curious if this is Brexit or something?

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Some items seem to have coincided with Brexit like food items (which I get given the regulation around such items) but others items I purchased before like camera batteries and power banks also disappeared around the same time but seem unlikely to be Brexit related (as Amazon.de won’t ship either).

Much of this may be down to heightened concerns about shipping lithium batteries but Amazon don’t seem interested in making any effort to work around these (presumably putting processes in place to ensure they don’t go by air). I can get camera batteries from an independent retailer in the Netherlands so it can be done if the will is there so seems to be down to indifference.

Some of these items could presumably be stocked in the Irish warehouse either but again they don’t seem to care enough to facilitate. Also not sure how much they are using the Irish warehouse, my own orders rarely seem to come from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Shower gel and most deodorants also stopped. I had them on subscribe and save

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hagakure_irl

Anybody having recent difficulty with packages from Amazon US that have cleared customs but stuck in some sort of infinite loop with UPS as a Warehouse Scan every night?

Haven't ordered anything particularly spicy. Moondrop and Truthear IEMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Always found Amazon us excellent with quick delivery to Ireland..no problems with delivery 2 weeks ago anyway from Amazon us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Looking to get a product on amazon, one that doesnt ship here as it has a lithium ion battery. Would always have got it sent to parcel motel up until brexit.

Considering using address pal, but will I be charged big fees on a £300 item? I know that amazon cover all the fees if you get something shipped here but I presume and item shipped to address pal will mean big customs fees when it lands?

Advertisement