Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The worst thing about Amazon is packaging inconsistency.

Fragile BD sets and LPs with minimal protection so arriving with dents and scuffs.

Socks in a box within a box along with padding.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Do possible customs charges always show up on checkout ? I want to order a refurb PC that's not fulfilled by Amazon but no extra charges show on checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Cookiee

If it's not sold by or shipped by Amazon, then it's likely custom charges will come on delivery and not at the checkout, you'll get a notice from an post when they have it about charges etc, typically

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I just messaged the seller & they say the charges are paid by Amazon. So I guess I can get a refund if charged as Amazon told me to contact the seller :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

One for the VAT registered Amazon users.

Ordered from Amazon.de, item sold by Amazon. At the checkout the total is €100 ex vat and so is the confirmation email.

Roll on a couple of months and I check my statement to find that they took €123.

Checked a few other orders against my statements and they mostly line up, ex vat amount is what was charged to my card.

I had this issue once last year and they refunded me but this time around they flat out refused to entertain me.

Has anyone had this before and is there any way to spot it beforehand

I will claim this back on my next return so no big deal but it's just one to keep an eye on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

(for those who use Amazon + Prime + UK) Have you also experienced a drop in the returns convenience with Amazon UK over the last several months?

Before, returns were free and Amazon had prepaid for the returns.

First, they stopped making returns pre-paid. we had to get it reimbursed by scanning and sending the receipt.

Now, since last month, they have charged us postage for the returns.

I am surprised this is happening even for Amazon Prime members (anecdotally just looking at me).

I still find the same items on harvey norman, currys, etc. to be more expensive than amazon UK, but it sucks to not have this benefit that Amazon Prime membership gave for such a long time.

Have you experienced this? Have you changed your shopping habits? 

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I had 2 returns in the last few weeks. First return cost 12.50 which was refunded by Amazon. The other was a pre paid label so didn't cost me anything either. I think you have to look and see who the seller is and if third party what their returns policy is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I'm more careful what I buy , don't want the hassle of a return now

They're still doing refunds without returning items if you're lucky

Depends on circumstances

I never return for change of mind but I have heard they're getting stricter on these.

I will seek a replacement if item is cosmetically damaged. This is always caused by poor packaging - and in such instances, Amazon will supply a prepaid label or may even let you keep the damaged item.

If there's no replacement (item sold out), I'll ask for a partial refund which is usually forthcoming.

• Advertisement

got it, thanks for sharing. I haven't yet faced any damaged packages or items. will be prompt on reporting them next time.

yeah that refund without return seems to have reduced a lot too for me. that was always good

where do i find return policy of third party sellers? I usually end up on amazon's return policy page when i click on an item that is shipped via amazon prime 1 or 2 day delivery (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GKM69DUUYKQWKWX7) and that is vague

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Their packaging is bizarre sometimes.

I primarily buy vinyl, CD box sets, Blu Ray box sets. It's rare that a disc will be damaged but if the corners of the sleeve are all dented / bashed due to crap packaging, then it really annoys me. A couple of times, there was no packaging - just a shrinkwrap and sticker with my address on it. It beggars belief that an Amazon staff member could think this is acceptable. Then you buy a few pairs of sports socks and they're packed in a box inside another box with protective paper stuffed in for good measure.

Amazon US is the worst though. They have stopped using cardboard boxes for overseas orders so everything is shipped in a jiffy bag so dents and scuffs are inevitable.

Ah yes. This is misleading though. because although you might get a full refund on the item, but it is not clear whether postage is paid for. E.g. on https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VMXG354?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details it says the same but amazon tells me I need to pay the postage and I wouldn't be refunded it. Or I pay GBP 9 for the postage. so I get GBP 2 back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

Does anybody know if Amazon plans to set up lockers here? I'm a Prime customer and the service has definitely deteriorated. Orders are arriving much later in the day then they used to, and sometimes not at all. As I type, I'm waiting for an order which was meant to arrive yesterday but never did. It's out for delivery now but chances are, it won't get here until near 9:00. They used to be delivered around lunchtime or the early afternoon at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I had the exact same issue with an order yesterday. It said all day that it would be delivered before 9PM. it was never down as out for delivery. I dont think it was even in the country. Any other orders i've had recently have come towards the end of the day as well

Yep, that's exactly what happened with my order. Yesterday's sole update was at 6:37 a.m. Initiated customs clearance process (Swords). Then at 1:10 a.m. this morning, Package arrived at the final delivery station (Dublin). Even though it has been out for delivery since before 11 this morning, I'm not banking on anybody showing up for hours yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I don't get that to often maybe 1 in twenty deliveries but it happens. Annoying when I go out to see the postman and ask him where the Amazon parcel is get nothing and then come back in and see under the full delivery info that it was never out for delivery.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

These are deliveries that come in Amazon's own van.

My package has just arrived, earlier than I expected it to. I didn't know it was on its way because there were no notifications on the app. I see it has been marked as delivered and my guess is that the driver is under a lot of pressure. I'm happy that I have my item but it's still a day late and with poor tracking.

This is where some Amazon lockers would be a godsend. There isn't always somebody at home here (there's just me and OH) and when there's nobody to take in a parcel, it can go anywhere. Random neighbours (and I mean random - they don't always say where the package has gone) or boxes being left on the doorstep. Neither of these are good. Prime, when it worked properly, was a godsend because you could order items on a certain day and make sure there'd be someone home to take them in. The Prime delivery service has definitely deteriorated, which makes me wish they had lockers as an option.

Post edited by Tork on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

If one orders from amazon in the US, do they pay customs charges?

I order from aliexpress and am never charged customs duty.

But don't know how amazon works in relation to this, thought I read some poster bought gatorade and got violated on the customs.

In physics we trust....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They will tell you at checkout if customs charges are taken care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

if you order from aliexpress you are charged vat and customs duty. aliexpress takes care of that automatically.

Ordering from amazon dot com, the US amazon.......... anyone know if the same applies?

In physics we trust....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Charged at checkout but beware of flimsy packaging

• Advertisement

The checkout says "no import charge", and also lists VAT.

I'm assuming that means I won't get stung.

Flimsy packaging? As in, the VAT reference not being printed?

In physics we trust....

Advertisement