Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

MBSnr wrote: »
    Which means it's done electronically right? You seem to think otherwise?
    No need to analyse the box contents. So I would assume the courier and by extension the Irish customs/revenue accepts what is described as being in the box (I surmise that Amazon, Boots etc are trusted sellers to do this) is actually what's in the box. Therefore it's ok to ship without VAT/Duty payable on arrival and the scan is accepted as proof of contents.
    Then again I could be incorrect in my assumption of the above.

Yes Irish VAT paid on the Boots order.

Never suggested it wasn’t done electronically, still doesn’t mean a clearance can be done in seconds.. If it was that easy, we wouldn’t have hauliers stuck at ports and empty shop shelves..

I’m not 100% on the process Amazon etc are using, would imagine it’s something built into their software to solve the VAT issue.. But duty is a very complex area that would be very hard to automate effectively.. So either they have it sorted, aren’t paying it or are just declaring everything as being of U.K. origin which is incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Amazon together with other Uk retailers are using a new advance system from both revenue and AnPost.

I am open to correction but my understanding is that since launch of the new facilities in Dublin Amazon does most of the lifting.

For customs you can see this if you look at your package, it now has an additional barcode label which does not show the same number as the tracking number or the order number.

Amazon gets the stuff into the county in bulk via both road and air and than it’s handed over to AnPost (small packages for example in Parkwest which is why you see as it’s the first AnPost track or large packages in Dublin).

If you are in Dublin than Amazon does not even invoke AnPost and does the last mile delivery themselves (outsourced to Parcelking who used Amazon Last miles technology).

Now I am not privy to the info of AnPost still does the heavy lifting from UK to Ireland but my understanding is that AnPost has lost that contract (together with the delivery in Dublin).

Customs will only ever look at this for spot checks or if they have intelligence to some wrongdoing, they have years of experience.

If your first Irish AnPost tracking is Portlaouise than your parcel came in some other route and will be custom cleared there. If your Amazon parcel is going Dublin to Portlaouise than there is something wrong in my experience.

Now obviously it is not always that easy as in the simple scenario where the sender paid the VAT and dues (or no VAT due or no duty due) which is why those take longer but revenue has invested significant funds into a fully automated system. Are there kinks of cause but unless there is an issue with the goods it should be plain sailing.

Now when it comes to goods that Amazon sells that are not of UK origin and require duties, that has to be seen, I so far have not purchased those goods.

A label on a box is not a customs clearance.. Its a short declaration of what's in the box to facilitate the customs clearance procedure..

But would think boots are collecting VAT on behalf of IE revenue and the declaration declares it as VAT paid or similar

The label in question is a barcode which links the parcel to the electronic customs declaration and decision in revenues system and is in addition the label required describing the goods.

The label is a physical manifestation of the electronic customs declaration and process.

When you send something abroad you need to fill our additional forms to the label on the parcel declaring what is insight for example under certain circumstances. What happens here is that that full custom declaration lives in revenues system and the barcode links the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Never suggested it wasn’t done electronically, still doesn’t mean a clearance can be done in seconds.. If it was that easy, we wouldn’t have hauliers stuck at ports and empty shop shelves..

I’m not 100% on the process Amazon etc are using, would imagine it’s something built into their software to solve the VAT issue.. But duty is a very complex area that would be very hard to automate effectively.. So either they have it sorted, aren’t paying it or are just declaring everything as being of U.K. origin which is incorrect

You are not equating like for like here though surely? Firstly Amazon are not shipping foodstuffs. So there's a difference between a item packed and a customs label/scan created by Amazon, then sent to a courier (UPS/An Post etc)t, and a truck full of different food product picked up at multiple locations heading to Ireland. Both have to be declared but the truck is going to be checked, documents and/or physically. Amazon's may be waved through as compliant.

I don't believe you are correct on Amazon here not paying it or just declaring everything to be UK origin. I'm not sure they could get away with doing that without it being picked up. There are a number of items that will not ship to Ireland now. Perhaps that restriction is part of the origin issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Amazon still ship food to Ireland, though it's very few products now - it might be an oversight that will be manually corrected soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭VG31

If you are in Dublin than Amazon does not even invoke AnPost and does the last mile delivery themselves (outsourced to Parcelking who used Amazon Last miles technology).

Now I am not privy to the info of AnPost still does the heavy lifting from UK to Ireland but my understanding is that AnPost has lost that contract (together with the delivery in Dublin).

I thought Amazon deliveries in Dublin were exclusively Amazon Logistics now but I had an Amazon.de order delivered by An Post a few days ago and I have another order from Amazon UK coming with An Post. It was October when I last had an Amazon order delivered by An Post before last week.

Also in Dublin, Amazon use a number of different couriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

I’ve just spent 30 mins going around in circles to Amazon customer service.
    Has anyone incurred additional charges on subscribe and save orders post-Brexit?
    The value of my next order exceeds €22. I was assured I would not be charged extra, but I’m not confident the advisor understood my question.
    Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I heard on RTE news earlier than An Post are sayoing it could be a while before packages that were sent even before Christmas are delivered with a big issue being the reduction in flights between Ireland and the UK.

Perhaps the reason (and I'm hoping this is the case) that Amazon is showing terrible delivery times is due the slots on flights for parcels being full up a lot earlier due to the reduced capacity.

Not ideal of course but it would lead you to believe that the issue will be mostly sovled when capacity returns on air routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

New2Dubs wrote: »
    I’ve just spent 30 mins going around in circles to Amazon customer service.
    Has anyone incurred additional charges on subscribe and save orders post-Brexit?
    The value of my next order exceeds €22. I was assured I would not be charged extra, but I’m not confident the advisor understood my question.
    Any advice appreciated.

UNless it's over €150 - then the price now will be that same as pre Brexit.
    Irish Vat was always charged in place of UK VAT
    You will have nothing extra to pay.
    (Assuming it's sold by amazon?)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

Ogham wrote: »
    UNless it's over €150 - then the price now will be that same as pre Brexit.
    Irish Vat was always charged in place of UK VAT
    You will have nothing extra to pay.
    (Assuming it's sold by amazon?)

Thanks a mill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

1huge1 wrote: »
    I heard on RTE news earlier than An Post are sayoing it could be a while before packages that were sent even before Christmas are delivered with a big issue being the reduction in flights between Ireland and the UK.

Perhaps the reason (and I'm hoping this is the case) that Amazon is showing terrible delivery times is due the slots on flights for parcels being full up a lot earlier due to the reduced capacity.

Not ideal of course but it would lead you to believe that the issue will be mostly sovled when capacity returns on air routes.

Link to news story: https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0111/1188962-an-post-says-christmas-mail-backlog-continues/

touts wrote: »
    Amazon seem to have decided they don't want to serve the Irish market. And to be fair they aren't the only ones. We are going back to the 1990s.

Some brilliant full English sites for specific products such as belsimpel.ie and komplett.ie for phones / electronics - direct from EU countries. Ordered a new phone Friday afternoon from belsimpel and had it Monday morning. Free delivery via UPS.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Some brilliant full English sites for specific products such as belsimpel.ie and komplett.ie for phones / electronics - direct from EU countries. Ordered a new phone Friday afternoon from belsimpel and had it Monday morning. Free delivery via UPS.

Belsimpel.nl is the website

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Louche Lad wrote: »

It is strange though, I'd have assumed that Amazon use truck + ferry for most of their deliveries from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭corkie

Expired Pending Transactions on orders with amazon.com?

I put in two test orders with amazon.com last week, both had pending transactions on my bank account. But have since disappeared from my account.

I know it is a busy season and them orders probably need to be transferred to a EU fulfillment before been able to ship.

The transactions are still listed as pending on amazon.com in
    Your Account › Your Payments › Transactions

Amazon tracking still stuck before 'Shipped'.

Will the above orders still be processed, anyone else experience this on amazon.com?

Edit 12/01 20:32: - Just got notification that my order from the 3rd has now shipped with DHL Express.
    (order from 5th still pending).
    Tuesday, January 12
    Package has shipped
    Campbellsville, KY US
    ^^^ Strange I was thinking it would have come through EU fulfillment center?

Edit 12/01 22:00: -

Just got a text from DHL to expect delivery on the 14th.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

bk wrote: »
    It is strange though, I'd have assumed that Amazon use truck + ferry for most of their deliveries from the UK?

Referring to Addresspal and other postal parcel services, I would imagine.

Finally received the first of my packages, ordered on 3rd, was originally due the 13th but pushed back to the 15th.

It had customs complete since last Thursday and had just been sitting at the warehouse in the UK, but got to Ireland early this morning and was at my door in Dublin by 10am.

The hold up certainly isn't on the Amazon courier side in Dublin, thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Amazon free delivery limit has changed to ~£25
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201910160
    For customers in the Republic of Ireland, orders including £20 or more (including local VAT) of eligible items, dispatched by Amazon, from any product category qualify for FREE Delivery.

zell12 wrote: »

The link and your quote still say £20?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭zell12

1huge1 wrote: »
    The link and your quote still say £20?
    Just placed an order, had to be £25.xx+ to qualify for free delivery (don't have exact amount)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Still free with Prime anyways, but that page does state..

'Note: Unlimited Priority (2-Day) Delivery is available at no extra cost, for delivery of eligible items to the ROI as part of Amazon Prime. No minimum spend is required to qualify. See About Amazon Prime for more information.'

So I'd say they're still figuring things out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

zell12 wrote: »
    Just placed an order, had to be £25.xx+ to qualify for free delivery (don't have exact amount)

I just tried and was offered free delivery for an order of £21

Some sort of normal dispatch for me on an order just now.

Ordered Saturday, shipped Sunday from the small sortable fulfillment center and just arrived into AnPost system now with the usual up to 3 days delivery text.

Amazon shows “Monday” as delivery date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Ordered Saturday, shipped Sunday from the small sortable fulfillment center and just arrived into AnPost system now with the usual up to 3 days delivery text.

What was the item?

I have 5 orders since 1st Jan and not one has arrived with me yet even though I have Prime!

Only 1 has even despatched and the rest are just sitting there waiting!

Very frustrating when you are paying for Prime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I returned an item via An Post back to Portlaoise this afternoon and got an email this evening literally three hours after posting that I was getting the refund. I am wondering did my posting and the activation of the prepaid tracking number activate it in their system? Either way very impressed, I did the return via the chatbot on Friday night and a refund today Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

theguzman wrote: »
    I returned an item via An Post back to Portlaoise this afternoon and got an email this evening literally three hours after posting that I was getting the refund. I am wondering did my posting and the activation of the prepaid tracking number activate it in their system? Either way very impressed, I did the return via the chatbot on Friday night and a refund today Tuesday.

Sometimes they do that yes.
    Sometimes its two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭dercunx

Amazing have just cancelled all my subscribe and save items I had for delivery this month. It's obvious they are not in top of this Brexit issue.

Wow my parcel tracker just notified me that it is out for delivery.

It’ll a small item (HDMI cable) send from Saint Helens.

A second item send same day from Saint Helens and got into Dublin on Monday is still there. it took 4 days to dispatch.

So clearly this is a combination of Amazon delays and AnPost having a bad month.

And also thinking about this, maybe the delays in Amazon are down to stock shortages and challenges they have to get the stuff into their warehouse racks rather than getting it out to us alone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Ordered stuff on Monday and yesterday. All delivery dates are 25th. Very standard items which are in normal stock. And, no movement yet.

I regret buying Prime for the month to see if they'd arrive faster.

Advertisement