Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utterly Stupid and Ridiculous 'Inventions' that are only pure waste of money

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Covid face visors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Fun size bars. 'fun size' my hoop! what is fun about something that is gone in one bite? :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Space Shuttle

SLS aka the Space Launch System

The Buran.

The TU 160.

The TU 144

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

have fitness trackers/wearables been mentioned yet? absolutely useless, has anyone even performed proper research into them and their claims on things like sleep quality, calories burned etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

Fun size bars. 'fun size' my hoop! what is fun about something that is gone in one bite? :mad:

Well, it's a regular size mars bar for dwarves.

Car buyer. wrote: »
    Boats
    There's an old joke doing the rounds.
    Boat people are only really happy twice,
    Once when they buy the boat and the second time, when they sell it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

All of those useless machines in Lidl that no one needs. So much rubbish they sell. This kind of pointless consumerism is what we are trashing the planet for.

Someone must need them. If people didn't need them they wouldn't be stocked.

All of those useless machines in Lidl that no one needs. So much rubbish they sell. This kind of pointless consumerism is what we are trashing the planet for.

Coupled with the fact that stuff is designed to break as soon as the guarantee expires.
    Those that didn't break, were too useless to be used enough times to break!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

3d printers, that is all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

tumblr_mfphk1v7Cp1rm4a7jo5_r1_400.gif
    I have one of these on my desk in work. Some people are terrified to use it, thinking it'll shock or hurt them (Although I have form with this):

41Gy1mGCOeL._AC_.jpg

Although like the first item, I also got these for my nieces, a moneybox where a paw come out and takes the money inside it.

71rQc%2BtTKuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'm destroying the planet!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

saabsaab wrote: »
    Bottled water!

Ever lived in an area where the mains water is contaminated? No? Count yourself lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Essential Oils..... essential indeed!

No touch soap dispensers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭saabsaab

There's an old joke doing the rounds.
    Boat people are only really happy twice,
    Once when they buy the boat and the second time, when they sell it! :P

How does it feel to own an ocean yacht? Stand in a cold shower tearing up fifty euro notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KissMeArse

Red Bull. Tastes rank, it's expensive. Nobody will ever touch the stuff.

7.5 billion cans of RB sold in 2019 and nearly half the energy drinks market share, RB also own and run 5 football teams around the world, 2 Formula One teams and sponsor nearly every extreme sport event going - all bankrolled by those sales. Not bad for a company who make literally one product, crazy to say nobody will touch the stuff. Agree with the first part of your post though, it is stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

No touch soap dispensers.
    If they just put out a measured dollop it would be fine, but they seem to keep splodging the stuff out after you take your hand away. Awful amount of waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Nexytus wrote: »
    Well, it's a regular size mars bar for dwarves.

And regular size mars bars are fun size for giants! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

She bought one of those metal clothes horse yokes.

Maybe not stupid but totally annoying. I've started to daydream about firing it through the door

• Registered Users Posts: 15,690 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anything from JML. How that company is still going is beyond me. It's just a way of taking money of people and most of the products they make do not even work or work right and if they do work they never last long.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Anything from JML. How that company is still going is beyond me. It's just a way of taking money of people and most of the products they make do not even work or work right and if they do work they never last long.
    That's their entire business model, make gadgets and persuade people that they are the next "must haves" while at the same time knowing that almost all of them are going to end up under the kitchen sink or in that cupboard that is reserved for stuff you don't use.
    So there is no reason to make them last more than a few months as they will usually only be used for a few days.

A huge pointless consumerist waste of resources.

She bought one of those metal clothes horse yokes.

Maybe not stupid but totally annoying. I've started to daydream about firing it through the door

I flipping hate clothes horses.

AMKC wrote: »

How many things have you gotten from JML?

Anything I've gotten worked and lasted.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Those phone clip holders things that stick to the back of the mobile. Typically circular in shape¬

Ms

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Leaf blowers.....cant see the use of them other than to blow leaves and grass onto the road. So pointless!
    Also those little dishes that ppl use for used tea bags, just put them in the f*cking bin.

Hardly. Saves many people from having to use a brush to clean up there drive or in the case of the council a road anc is quicker. You just blow all the leads into a bundle and then gather them up. The Dad recently got one although I have yet to use it but the Mum can which means she can help cleaning up the yard and she would not be able to use a yard brush.
    Dyson vacuums are really poor products. Plasticky, gimmicky, a triumph of advertising and marketing over functionality and performance.

If you’ve bought one then you’ve fallen for the idea they are actually doing something different than other hoovers that cost a 3rd of the price.

They aren’t.[/QUOTE

I disagree. They are great. I have one for over 12 years now and it's still as good as it was when I got it brand new.

Ms

How many things have you gotten from JML?

Anything I've gotten worked and lasted.

A few things before a realised what a cod and a rip off they were. Had a cold heat solder that never worked a tin opener that broke and thats all I remember the rest were so crap I have forgotten about them but there was more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭josip

I drank an entire can just before a college exam many moons ago, thinking it would stimulate the body and mind.

The only thing it stimulated was my bladder, and I was bursting for a piss half-way through the exam.

Years ago I used to give up beer for Lent.
    I used to drink pints of Lucozade (2 bottles per glass) instead, but one night I decided to do pints of Red Bull instead (2 cans per glass)
    After the 2nd pint (4 red bulls) I was buzzing.
    After the 4th pint I was really buzzing.
    After 7 and half pints I was twitching, sweating and staggered early (midnight) out of The Barge.
    Got home, lay in bed and said "hello ceiling, my friend"
    And stared at it for the next 5 hours until I finally fell asleep.

Many years ago a friend was told to stop drinking (eight pints a night man) as he had serious health issues,
    that evening he went to the pub as usual and had eight pints of shandy instead!

New Home wrote: »
    Ever lived in an area where the mains water is contaminated? No? Count yourself lucky.

I do but I was talking about those useless little sub 1 litre bottles.

• Advertisement

Many years ago a friend was told to stop drinking (eight pints a night man) as he had serious health issues,
    that evening he went to the pub as usual and had eight pints of shandy instead!

What happened? Seems a fair reduction from 8 a night all the same.

Advertisement