Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utterly Stupid and Ridiculous 'Inventions' that are only pure waste of money

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Fiat currency. It's a pure waste of real money.

GazzaL wrote: »
    Comparing different cordless vacuums is like comparing a Trabant with a Lada.

Who has the time or patience for dragging around a corded vacuum. So so much handier to just grab the cordless one, even a small 20 second clean up rather than messing with a sweeping brush etc. Done before you would even have a corded one taken from the press.

Watch the reviews, the performance is impressive now too even on low suction.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,032 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

An Ri rua wrote:

What's real money?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭appledrop

New Home wrote: »
    Banana holders.

457241IvhmLcsbL.jpg.jpg?1425086930

Nope one of the best inventions ever!

Maybe you dont have kids but my stomach would actually turn at the smell/ texture of a squashed banana in a school bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Who has the time or patience for dragging around a corded vacuum. So so much handier to just grab the cordless one, even a small 20 second clean up rather than messing with a sweeping brush etc. Done before you would even have a corded one taken from the press.

Watch the reviews, the performance is impressive now too even on low suction.

Someone who wants an area to be properly cleaned? The performance of cordless vacuums is awful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AllForIt wrote: »
    Selife sticks.
    Genuine Chindōgu

See also http://explosm.net/comics/3786/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Someone who wants an area to be properly cleaned? The performance of cordless vacuums is awful.

Depends on the model. The dysons are terrible (i have a v10) but the best vacuum i have is my roborock S4 robot vacuum.
    Vacuums the whole house while i sleep. I regretably have to use the dysons whenever theres on the spot cleaning to be done.
    The combo of a cordless and robot vacuum is fantastic but i'd swap the dyson in a heartbest for a better cordless one

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hi_thur_folks

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Actually I used to think this but they are very practical. Good for running and you don't spent stupid amounts of time untying knots from the cabling.

I agree. I find them very handy for listening to podcasts while cooking. I was constantly getting the earphone wires caught in the cutlery drawer, over door and handles before as I like a glass or two of wine while prepping dinner.
    The panic though when you lose either an AirPod or the case. You have to consider there’s 3 individual parts to look after. I suppose the price of them helps with that lol. Overall I am happy with them. Esp living with others in a relatively small space

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Dyson “vacuums” are absolute junk. And I say that as someone who is frequently swayed by flash marketing (yeah I have an iphone). I was sucked in (pardon the pun) by the hype and spent silly money on one a few years ago. I tipped it into the local recycling tip a few weeks ago. Absolutely dog sh1t.

Moved into a new build a couple of months ago and my parents gave me a Miele corded vacuum as a move in present (how thoughtful I thought, lol). It even has a bag! No “bagless” nonsense where you get completely destroyed in dust when emptying the damn thing. The Miele is incredible. I have to turn it down to about 60% suction as you can’t even move it on the floor when on full power. You could probably buy 3 of these for one of those dyson battery operated toys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The cordless ones are particularly ****. About the same sucking power as an asthmatic hooker punched in the solar plexus.

I have a cordless Dyson and it's great, especially for the cat hair...just make sure you clean the filter regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    What's real money?

Gold standard

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Leaf blowers.....cant see the use of them other than to blow leaves and grass onto the road. So pointless!
    Also those little dishes that ppl use for used tea bags, just put them in the f*cking bin.

Worked in a pub with a beer garden.
    Used to fire the leaf blower up to clear out the last of the stragglers after closing time.
    It worked a treat.
    Cleaned up loads of the rubbish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,032 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gold standard

So we ve had no real money for decades? How could we have grown our economies over the last few decades if we had this standard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Car buyer.

Boats

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Worked in a pub with a beer garden.
    Used to fire the leaf blower up to clear out the last of the stragglers after closing time.
    It worked a treat.
    Cleaned up loads of the rubbish too.

You've just reminded me of my working pub days, when we would get the vacume out we would put a deflated balloon into the suction, makes the most annoying sound, worked a treat to clear the last of the hanger ons out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I drank an entire can just before a college exam many moons ago, thinking it would stimulate the body and mind.

The only thing it stimulated was my bladder, and I was bursting for a piss half-way through the exam.

You're lucky you didn't end up with an 'all guns blazing' situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

i bought one of these as a secret santa (after seeing one on the fargo tv series)

it wasnt appreciated

What is it called? I want one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

Car buyer. wrote: »
    Boats

>>>>>Titanic passengers liked this post<<<<<

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Car buyer. wrote: »
    Boats

And Hoes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

appledrop wrote: »
    Nope one of the best inventions ever!

Maybe you dont have kids but my stomach would actually turn at the smell/ texture of a squashed banana in a school bag.

Ever heard of lunchboxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Automatic parking brakes in cars. I had a car with that invention.
    The car parked itself three times at the side of the road, twenty minutes each time, due to a malfunction in the automatic parking brake.
    I traded that car in and replaced it with a car with an old style hand brake.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

only fans , no need to explain

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Automatic parking brakes in cars. I had a car with that invention.
    The car parked itself three times at the side of the road, twenty minutes each time, due to a malfunction in the automatic parking brake.
    I traded that car in and replaced it with a car with an old style hand brake.

Couldn’t disagree more, I think they are the best addition to cars for years. Have one car with it and one without and it’s a pain driving the car with the manual handbrake when you get used to the auto one, just works so well and significantly adds to driving comfort.

I wouldn’t buy a car with a manual handbrake again.

Totally disagree sorry.... we have a blender , we bought a ninja blender , ... same as a nutrabullet.....

Love it !!!! Takes up feck all room on counter and easy peasy to clean ..... I use it all the time .... ice crusher , smoothies, making omelettes.....

If it was to break today I'd go straight out and buy another...

How is that different to any other blender?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Get Real

An Ri rua wrote: »

Real money is fiat currency.. It's no longer backed by gold or anything.

We have money that is declared legal tender by governments. Each euro / dollar etc doesn't have a corresponding amount of gold to back it up.

Was gotten rid of decades ago. Its only worth what it says because people believe in it and trust it. Similarly, the fiat currency you're referring to (presumably bitcoin etc) is worth what people think it is.

Get Real wrote: »
    Real money is fiat currency.. It's no longer backed by gold or anything.

We have money that is declared legal tender by governments. Each euro / dollar etc doesn't have a corresponding amount of gold to back it up.

Was gotten rid of decades ago. Its only worth what it says because people believe in it and trust it. Similarly, the fiat currency you're referring to (presumably bitcoin etc) is worth what people think it is.
    Its only worth what it says because ... governments accept it for taxes.

Just imagine what would happen if the government said tomorrow that taxes had to be paid in lemon flavoured jelly beans. But only those that contained a specific isotope ratio to prevent counterfeiting.

Or from the US govt perspective if the Oil market started using Euros instead of Dollars.

Internet pop up and video ads.

They waste precious bandwidth. And more importantly make me vow to never to buy any product from that company ever if I can possibly avoid it so completely counter productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

Automatic parking brakes in cars.

Definitely a solution in search of a problem. I've been driving for nearly 40 years, and there has never been a single occasion when I thought, "This situation needs an electronic handbrake".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

Internet pop up and video ads.

They waste precious bandwidth. And more importantly make me vow to never to buy any product from that company ever if I can possibly avoid it so completely counter productive.

Also, where one of those long YouTube ads has piqued my interest enough to investigate further, it's always turned out to be a shoddy product or an out-and-out scam.

Advertisement