Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Day - 13th/14th October 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

What quality are Amazon's own brand Tech products? Do they have a good rep?

Is there much of a difference between Amazon's brand and main brands for tech like Laptops, Tablets etc
    Their Firestick and tablets must be global best sellers.
    They are decent, and in the sales especially, you couldn't go wrong.
    They also are very good for warranty cover, which isn't always the case in many B&M stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Thomas.. wrote: »
    Amazon has got more annoying and less useful lately

I'm not too excited about black Friday

And why is black Friday now in October or is there 2

It is in November.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Thomas..

Monokne wrote: »
    It is in November.

So what's this next week

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

What quality are Amazon's own brand Tech products? Do they have a good rep?

Is there much of a difference between Amazon's brand and main brands for tech like Laptops, Tablets etc

The fire tablets are unbelievably good, obviously depends on your needs and what you want to do but for kids and even adults who just want to muck around online and stream....i'll never buy an branded tablet again given the price of a fire tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

So what's this next week
    A two day event for prime members

• Advertisement

So what's this next week

You didn't happen to see the name of the thread? :P

Amazon Prime Day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Thomas..

Monokne wrote: »
    You didn't happen to see the name of the thread? :P

Amazon Prime Day.

I read it as Amazon black prime day?

Maybe I was mixing in it up with black pride day or something

hahaha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

The fire tablets are unbelievably good, obviously depends on your needs and what you want to do but for kids and even adults who just want to muck around online and stream....i'll never buy an branded tablet again given the price of a fire tablet.

Hi Sheep what tablet do u use is there much memory ?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭SweetSand

It really depends what are you expecting from their tablets and the main purpose you want to use them for. We had (still have but don't use) 2 Fire HD10 for kids, fine to browse online and to watch youtube, play simple games. But when schools closed down in spring and one of my daughters had to use Seesaw for remote schooling - few times I was very close to just throw the tablet in the bin, it was just so slow and irresponsive :( Ended up buying 2 Ipads (got very good price) with not original stylus pens and never had any problems since. I am a long term iPad user myself :) That being said - I love their fire stick and echo dots, have echo show as well. Great customer service. Looking forward to the prime day, last year they had amazing deals, will be interesting to see how it goes this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

You have probably been brainwashed into thinking about Black Lives Matter it is similar to Amazon Black Lives Matter Prime Day

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭postsnthing

Has there been the usual annual prime sub for £59 this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I pay monthly myself but I am waiting to see what impacts Brexit will have before committing longer term.

I'm guessing import taxes, higher shipping costs, and delays similar to importing from the US which generally isn't worth it as a result.

Might have to start shopping on the .de or .fr sites after January.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,403 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I pay monthly myself but I am waiting to see what impacts Brexit will have before committing longer term.

I'm guessing import taxes, higher shipping costs, and delays similar to importing from the US which generally isn't worth it as a result.

Might have to start shopping on the .de or .fr sites after January.

They refund pro-rata from the date you cancel if you don't keep it for the full year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

I'm guessing import taxes,

Amazon already charge Irish vat so nothing would change there. Also, with their new warehouse in Rathcoole I think they have made preparations for Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

shocksy wrote: »
    Amazon already charge Irish vat so nothing would change there. Also, with their new warehouse in Rathcoole I think they have made preparations for Brexit.

Yes it would. In the absence of a formal arrangement (as yet not in place between the UK and EU), duty will also come into the equation, same as purchasing from the US or any other country outside the customs union, as well as being subject to customs inspections, etc.

As you say though, there may well be plans for something else in place by Amazon ahead of that, including the fact that they added an English version of the .de website somet time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

cython wrote: »
    Yes it would. In the absence of a formal arrangement (as yet not in place between the UK and EU), duty will also come into the equation, same as purchasing from the US or any other country outside the customs union, as well as being subject to customs inspections, etc.

As you say though, there may well be plans for something else in place by Amazon ahead of that, including the fact that they added an English version of the .de website somet time ago.

Duty is payable on point of entry to the EU.
    It’s already being paid on goods coming from the UK, is it refundable on goods leaving? Might it balance out?
    Aldo ignoring the Irish warehouse. They could fulfill from an EU warehouse as they already do with some stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Be not concerned my friends for I have personally kept Amazon going for the last six months. John my postman will bear this out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

No i had to pay £79 this year paid £59 last year got a special offer,still and all £79 is worth it if you use Amazon a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Pretty sure you can cancel the 79 sub and then immediately resubscribe for the 59 offer, at least that's my plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Dave..M wrote: »
    Pretty sure you can cancel the 79 sub and then immediately resubscribe for the 59 offer, at least that's my plan

Not sure how far you'd get. You'd have paid 79 GBP upfront and might not get that much back if anything (if you used Prime Video).

"Note: Paid members who have not placed an order using the benefits of Amazon Prime are eligible for a full refund. Paying members who have only used Amazon Prime delivery benefits may be eligible for a partial refund. If the other benefits (Prime Video, Prime Music, Twitch) have been used, members are not eligible for a refund"

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

MBSnr wrote: »
    Not sure how far you'd get. You'd have paid 79 GBP upfront and might not get that much back if anything (if you used Prime Video).

"Note: Paid members who have not placed an order using the benefits of Amazon Prime are eligible for a full refund. Paying members who have only used Amazon Prime delivery benefits may be eligible for a partial refund. If the other benefits (Prime Video, Prime Music, Twitch) have been used, members are not eligible for a refund"

I will pay for the months since I took out the 79 annual fee, cancel and be refunded for the remaining months and then pay 59 for another year. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

RasTa wrote: »
    What is the point of the fire stick btw? My TV already has all the apps mentioned on the website built in?

Also aimed at people who's smart TV apps no longer work and they can't be updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Dave..M wrote: »
    I will pay for the months since I took out the 79 annual fee, cancel and be refunded for the remaining months and then pay 59 for another year. No?

Perhaps, perhaps not on the refund. I don't know how it works or if you get all the unused months back pro-rata.

I do know that I have not been able to take out the 59 GBP Prime as I already had a previous Prime sub and the offer did not apply to my account. However if you add another person to your Amazon household and they have not had Prime before, you can get the deal on their account and you all share the benefits....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Which one?

I had an 8 inch one a few years ago and it ran horribly

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

torrevieja wrote: »
    Hi Sheep what tablet do u use is there much memory ?

Beauty with them is unlike an ikad yiu can upgrade the memory. We got one of the kids a fire 7 last black Friday with a 32GB card and we always upgrade that.

Seriously impressive for the price.

Someone mentioned they had an issue using the seesaw app during lockdown, we had no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,789 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Be not concerned my friends for I have personally kept Amazon going for the last six months. John my postman will bear this out

You and I (and a billion other people) have personally made Mr Bezos the richest man on the planet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Which one?

I had an 8 inch one a few years ago and it ran horribly

What where you fling with it?

For watching Netflix etc it’s perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

unkel wrote: »
    You and I (and a billion other people) have personally made Mr Bezos the richest man on the planet :D

But look how happy we made him with his robot arms
    190605-laugh-630x363.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Meet your brother. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement