Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

Whatever about getting the left/right balance right, and I'm not sure they have, everything on the BBC is an anti-racism lecture. Every second news item on a bulletin will be about it. Even if it's a Friday night comedy show, it will go down the road of trying to do comedy about racism to educate people. They see themselves as having a role in changing public attitudes, not responding to demand like a commercial news channel has to. It will be interesting to see how successful GB News is and whether people switch over.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I've seen a few snatches of it since Sunday and its quite clear whats wrong with it (apart from.the obvious

It actually has no content nor any theme, aim or distinction for any of its slots.

Hi Dan.
    Hi Andrew.

So, eh, these virtue signallers?!
    Em, yep, at it again, the wee scamps!

Right, eh, whats Boris been saying today?
    Well, he has a new Trade Deal with Australia!
    Thats excellent, global Britain at its best!!
    Um, well sure Andrew why not!
    You sound unconvinced Dan...
    Well, neither the farmers who voted for Brexit, nor the academic economists are in favour of it. They reckon it concedes standards and valuable market position for basically no growth.

Oh...
    Well, its time for woke bedwetter of the day Dan! And then we'll go to a bitter ex Labour MP and some fat bloke for two hours of awkward interaction with no substance. But first,a quick ad break...

Eh, actually no Andrew, the last of our advertisers have pulled their spend, once they realised who their agencies had signed them up with.

Oh......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,384 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Rosie Wright must have got a big pay rise to give up the Euro News gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Whatever about getting the left/right balance right, and I'm not sure they have, everything on the BBC is an anti-racism lecture. Every second news item on a bulletin will be about it. Even if it's a Friday night comedy show, it will go down the road of trying to do comedy about racism to educate people. They see themselves as having a role in changing public attitudes, not responding to demand like a commercial news channel has to. It will be interesting to see how successful GB News is and whether people switch over.

Their comedy has gone down the tubes...such a shame for an institution with their history of comedy.

Match of the Day is full of tokenism as well...all about racism or homophobia, alls a guy wants is to watch the goals!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    A safe space for people who can't form a sentence without bringing woke, snowflake, cancel culture etc etc in to it, bitter about their shiite lives and need someone to blame instead looking at themselves.

Also I remember seeing Dan Wooton on TV about 5 years ago, it wasn't politics related just some stupid show and Jesus he has a punchable face.

yes-yes-i-can-feel-the-hate-flowing-from-within-you.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its a grand parody of competence.

Since they are mostly all banned from anything relevant they have to make their own channel to have an echo chamber. The same reason Bitchute and Parler exist :pac:

pjohnson wrote: »

Since they are mostly all banned from anything relevant they have to make their own channel to have an echo chamber. The same reason Bitchute and Parler exist :pac:

Jesus...did you think that through?

Jesus...did you think that through?

Ah is this where we pretend Youtube and Twitter are echo chambers and whine about "cancel culture"

Ah is this where we pretend Youtube and Twitter are echo chambers and whine about "cancel culture"

No...this is where you explain how if they were banned from one echo chamber then what difference does it make if they set up their own...everything is just one echo chamber after the next.

No...this is where you explain how if they were banned from one echo chamber then what difference does it make if they set up their own...everything is just one echo chamber after the next.

Twitter/Youtube arent echo chambers.

• Advertisement

Twitter/Youtube arent echo chambers.

Then what are they mostly banned from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭KildareP

Been watching a good bit since launch. Has the vibes of a TV version of LBC or TalkRadio.

The production so far though is dreadful. Almost like they just unpacked everything a few hours before, threw it together and are figuring it all out as they go along.

Audio levels all over the place.
    Random mics outside the studio being turned on by mistake.
    Outside links have lots of echo.
    Several times it has cut away to an ad break mid-conversation only to abruptly return back to the studio a few seconds later.
    The handover to the 6pm presenter, with cringy filler conversation, at one point the incoming presenter actually asked out loud "Is it 6pm yet?"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I dont watch television at all unless there's an election or something on but the impression I get from the BBCs website content is that the UK is situated off the coast of Africa and mostly populated by women, roughly half of whom are lesbians.:D

You'll still have people going on about the BBCs lack of support for state control of industry as proof that its neutral. On most "culture" topics its nothing of the sort

Quin_Dub wrote: »

A simple google search will show you multiple examples of Farage claiming bias against him ,UKIP (and the various other "parties" he led) and Brexit.

Now you've changed the goalposts.

Originally, it was Farage was complaining "all the time" that he "never gets coverage", to "Farage complains of bias".

And on the latter point, Farage is spot on: the BBC and others were quite obviously biased against both him and the Brexit Party.

And the good news is, that you will not see this bias with GB News - that right-wing views will be legitimised in ways that the BBC tried to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Just on the point on the advertisers pulling their products from GB News.

Koppaberg were saying on Twitter recently that their products were being advertised on GB News without their knowledge or consent. As a result; Koppaberg have now said they will suspend their adverts on GB News because they wanted to review the channel's content. I think this is a way of saying that Koppabergs don't want to be promoting their products to a TV channel that promotes hateful content to it's audience or to it's customers who buy their drink products.

Kelloggs in the UK & Ireland are actually going to do the same thing even though they were the 1st company to air their adverts during the GB News launch night after the channel was up & running since last Sunday.

That actually spells a lot of bad news for GB News in the long term as they are trying to obtain much-needed ad revenue from commercial companies who want to promote their products to a wide mass TV audience in the UK. Sky's Media Ad Sales division are the main agency for providing TV adverts for GB News. If a company who wants to advertise their products in the UK; they may make a formal request to Sky to not have their adverts shown on a particular channel if it doesn't align with it's company values. That would ultimately mean more potential ad revenue being lost for GB News own business model.

Now I'm not sure how many more companies will do this as way of not giving their thumbs up to GB News's short reputation as a news channel.

It may mean that all of their staff up on the GB News payroll right now might not get paid well or be subjected to more pay cuts in future if more companies decide to pull more potential ad revenue from the channel. They're could be other things that may make them become an ultimate commercial failure in Britain's TV landscape. Not being to pay the rent on their studio space; not being able to pay for new equipment to improve their channel's output as well as not paying a staff an adequate wage. And Koppabergs & Kelloggs are not the only company who are doing this right now when going up against GB News. There are others who are doing this strategy at this time but I don't know who they are at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Who's the Northern lass anchoring?

Was she a lads mag regular back in the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,384 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Who's the Northern lass anchoring?

Was she a lads mag regular back in the day?

Kirsty Gallacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

GBNews should take this opportunity to showcase the best in British Gammon comedy. They could get Roy Chubby Brown to do some live stuff about "wogs" and have him comment on the days events while in character.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

https://twitter.com/AndrewMusic386/status/1404894019314913285?s=20

Disgraceful Guardian readers trying to make GBNews a laughing stock. Typical leftists 'sense of humour'.

GBNews should take this opportunity to showcase the best in British Gammon comedy. They could get Roy Chubby Brown to do some live stuff about "wogs" and have him comment on the days events while in character.

Could you not do any better trying to disguise your contempt for people who don't think like you? Is that all you have?

Pathetic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Just now a guest looking the wrong way on camera lol

Also IKEA have also pulled advertising I see on their twitter feed.

Also has Farage got a regular slot on this channel? Back again tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Morgans wrote: »

Disgraceful Guardian readers trying to make GBNews a laughing stock. Typical leftists 'sense of humour'.

Mike Oxlong! That’s pretty funny.

Could you not do any better trying to disguise your contempt for people who don't think like you? Is that all you have?

Pathetic!

People who don't think like me is a rather large section of humanity. Almost all of it in fact and in general, I don't have contempt for them.

You might be getting that set of people mixed up with idiots, for whom I most certainly, and with very good reason, do have contempt. Contempt is coincidentally the same feeling that the people behind this GB (Gammon Broadcasting) News have for their audience. I just don't like to make my money that way.

What we're seeing here is predominantly Left-leaning posters glory in the tiniest possible start-up error or gremlin by GB News. All of which are to be expected. In fact, it would be more surprising had they not occurred.

Had GB News been Left-leaning in orientation, I have no doubt the same posters would be arguing that these are teething errors soon to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Morgans wrote: »

GB "news" are doing a perfectly good job of that without any help from anyone else :pac:

eskimohunt wrote: »
    What we're seeing here is predominantly Left-leaning posters glory in the tiniest possible start-up error or gremlin by GB News. All of which are to be expected. In fact, it would be more surprising had they not occurred.

Had GB News been Left-leaning in orientation, I have no doubt the same posters would be arguing that these are teething errors soon to be corrected.

Give out about the lefties all you like but we all know it's just a matter of time before this crowd is doing puff pieces about the Parashoot Regiment and complaining about the numbers of Irish in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Agree with you on the teething errors, reminds me of working for a start up bank when even experienced folk were making mistakes on opening day.

But from what I’ve seen today they need to work on their content, very little of substance being discussed when I watched today but plenty of buzz words like woke and leftists.

Hell, Andrew Neil even had a segment called Woke Watch.

To me it looks like a station in search of controversy rather than one in search of truth or fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

eskimohunt wrote: »
    What we're seeing here is predominantly Left-leaning posters glory in the tiniest possible start-up error or gremlin by GB News.

Its the same old usual truculent suspects trying to get a rise.
    Don't take the bait.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    To me it looks like a station in search of controversy rather than one in search of truth or fact.

At this stage, it's a station in teething. Even I, as a disciple of the right, can identify the obvious flaws and technical glitches.

That said, we must allow gestation to take place -- and not adjudge the channel based on the first few days, perhaps even weeks and months.

GB News is likely to be around for many years to come, perhaps decades.

Those of a right-leaning disposition will support that gestation. Those who oppose GB News will, by default, recommend a swift abortion.

But the station is here to stay, and that can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

At this stage, it's a station in teething. Even I, as a disciple of the right, can identify the obvious flaws and technical glitches.

That said, we must allow gestation to take place -- and not adjudge the channel based on the first few days, perhaps even weeks and months.

GB News is likely to be around for many years to come, perhaps decades.

Those of a right-leaning disposition will support that gestation. Those who oppose GB News will, by default, recommend a swift abortion.

But the station is here to stay, and that can only be a good thing.

They should change the name for starters, they don't report the news.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement