Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its "here to stay" as long as the reporters agree to work for free. Advertisers pulling the plug rapidly.

They should change the name for starters, they don't report the news.

They have openly stated they are not, and don't intend to be, a 24/7 news channel because nobody watches such a station 24/7.

Instead, it is more like the US system (Fox News, MSNBC, CNN) where you have news programmes and shows that discuss the news of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Who's the Northern lass anchoring?

Michelle Dewberry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

At this stage, it's a station in teething. Even I, as a disciple of the right, can identify the obvious flaws and technical glitches.

That said, we must allow gestation to take place -- and not adjudge the channel based on the first few days, perhaps even weeks and months.

GB News is likely to be around for many years to come, perhaps decades.

Those of a right-leaning disposition will support that gestation. Those who oppose GB News will, by default, recommend a swift abortion.

But the station is here to stay, and that can only be a good thing.

Nah, content and production are 2 separate and unrelated issues but both need to be addressed if it is to be a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

They have openly stated they are not, and don't intend to be, a 24/7 news channel because nobody watches such a station 24/7.

Instead, it is more like the US system (Fox News, MSNBC, CNN) where you have news programmes and shows that discuss the news of the day.

They are not a News channel at all, just flicked over there and that gobshìte wooten is talking a load of shìte and dropping buzz words again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

pjohnson wrote: »
    Its "here to stay" as long as the reporters agree to work for free. Advertisers pulling the plug rapidly.

They could pivot a bit and start selling vitamin supplements. Another option is having a a show dedicated to begging like they have in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭O'Neill

They had a piece complaining about the Union flag being removed from somewhere in England. I mean....if this channel were so concerned about the union then perhaps calling it GB News wasn't the smartest FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

O'Neill wrote: »
    They had a piece complaining about the Union flag being removed from somewhere in England. I mean....if this channel were so concerned about the union then perhaps calling it GB News wasn't the smartest FFS

Flegs are a big deal to their audience though. Maybe not in their day-to-day lives but it's definitely one of those issues that they can be conned into being mad about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

eskimohunt wrote: »
    At this stage, it's a station in teething. Even I, as a disciple of the right, can identify the obvious flaws and technical glitches.

That said, we must allow gestation to take place -- and not adjudge the channel based on the first few days, perhaps even weeks and months.

GB News is likely to be around for many years to come, perhaps decades.

Those of a right-leaning disposition will support that gestation. Those who oppose GB News will, by default, recommend a swift abortion.

But the station is here to stay, and that can only be a good thing.

The thing is though, I'm not really convinced GB News is "right leaning" at all, I think if anything it's more clued into the attitudes and opinions of the vast majority of the British people.

There's an extremely vocal minority, particularly in the "West", who are pushing an agenda of absolute bolloxolgy on places like Twitter. What mystifies me is why anyone with any sort of rational mind actually pays attention to these dingbats?

Honestly, I really do hope that GB News will be a big hit in the coming years, because the existing TV news media both in the UK and here are incredibly biased towards the left side of politics. What's wrong with having a news media outlet which may present both sides of the argument on a particular news story or issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,877 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

O'Neill wrote: »

No British nationalist is concerned about the Union. Not insofar as it extends to Northern Ireland anyway.

That's the great irony, Poots & Co are fighting for homogeneity with people who aren't actually like them at all and who are at best ambivalent about their place in the UK.

And so the moniker GB News, is the most soberly accurate thing about it.

• Advertisement

I think GB News is conservative leaning on a lot but once it gives voices to other perspectives, and treats them with respect, I hugely welcome it.

I'm only seeing an echo chamber so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

It will be closed by the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Piehead wrote: »

If Channel 5 is still going then I think there's some hope for GBN :pac:

It will? Who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

listermint wrote: »
    Not under this regime.

New world.

Another in a lineage of far right representation in the UK media. The right wing in this thread are well represented across the spectrum which is absolute at odds with whinging they go on about not being heard. Flakes...

The far left is equally if not more represented in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The far left is equally if not more represented in this thread.

There's no far left in the thread. Just as there's no far left news or channels in the UK. Just as of there was a far left opinion channel started up called UK news it wouldnt get viewers.

This is all nonsense and GB news will be gone soon as it will run out of money. It's ****e programming and production because the reality is qualified people in the technical side won't work for it. Because they're smart enough to know it's life span. And the presenters are only there to get get a pay out. Probably got signing on bonuses too .. the smart ones at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Hoop66

It has been laughably poor, both in content and production values.

Do we think Darren Grimes was wearing a microphone as he watched the opening night? Phone at hand, checking his reception and battery every 20 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lurleen wrote: »
    I think GB News is conservative leaning on a lot but once it gives voices to other perspectives, and treats them with respect, I hugely welcome it.

I'm only seeing an echo chamber so far though.
    The only reason it exists is to be an alternative facts echo chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"GB News is going to give a voice to those ignored by the mainstream media! It's going to speak to the silent majority of the the country, the true British people, and what they want to hear!"

GB News Guest: "Jeffrey Epstein technically wasn't a paedophile, and the Prince Andrew accusations aren't as bad as BILL CLINTON!!!!"
    https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1404939123106975744?s=20

They're also getting hit with reading out texts or emails from the likes of Mike Hunt and Mike Oxlong :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The technical issues and lack of production effort make me remember the series KYTV from the early nineties. With a shade of Drop The Dead Donkey too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Since they are mostly all banned from anything relevant they have to make their own channel to have an echo chamber. The same reason Bitchute and Parler exist :pac:
    Then what are they mostly banned from?
    The only reason it exists is to be an alternative facts echo chamber.

You still haven't cleared up that for us...where are they mostly banned from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭Tork

I see they're starting to lose sponsors. You'd wonder if this is the start of the brand becoming toxic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Piehead wrote: »
    If Channel 5 is still going then I think there's some hope for GBN :pac:

The economics of "News" channels are very different to the multitude of niche channels that are hanging around on Satellite etc.

News channels just don't make money , Sky News loses money every year , but it's a loss leader for the wider Sky portfolio etc.

A Channel 5 type of station can at least break even by picking up dirt cheap re-runs , game shows, reality TV shows etc. Then chucking the tape in the DVD player and selling advertising as it's the stuff that people just veg out in front of. Almost zero production costs involved.

News channels cost big money to run - Outside broadcasts , Presenters/Interviewers onsite , Maintaining a studio etc.

If Sky News can't turn a profit in the UK Market then GB News, who by their very nature are explicitly only targeting a sub-set of the total potential viewers don't have a hope.

How long it lasts is entirely dependent on how deep the pockets of the investors are and how much cash they are willing to flush each year to support this political vanity project.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Tork wrote: »
    I see they're starting to lose sponsors. You'd wonder if this is the start of the brand becoming toxic.

To be fair, if they didn't factor into the equation the entities that threaten advertiser boycotts they deserve to go under....that is the climate that exists today, the entire industry is aware of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0616/1228366-gb-news-uk/
    Ikea, cider firm Kopparberg and Octopus Energy have withdrawn their adverts on the network following its launch on Sunday.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/06/15/the-pathetic-attempt-to-cancel-gb-news/
    GB News – the first new British news network to launch in 24 years – has barely been on the air for 48 hours. And yet already people are trying to get it shut down. The group Stop Funding Hate has ramped up its campaign against the opinion-led, anti-woke GB News in the wake of its launch on Sunday night. SFH has been urging its followers to put pressure on the channel’s advertisers to withdraw and, depressingly, it has already had some success.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The people opposing this news channel they don't even watch are pretty active here and Twitter.

Well since it's already had these bizarre efforts to downplay Prince Andrew's relationship with Epstein... I'd say there's plenty of reasons why they might pull advertising if they're just gonna run loons etc. Wouldn't be out of place on Infowars.

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1404921547144433664?s=19

biko wrote: »
    The people opposing this news channel they don't even watch are pretty active here and Twitter.

Boards.ie generally has a Left-lean to it, and so it should come as no surprise that once GB News formed, they are doing their best to downplay the channel as much as possible.

As for Lady C, nobody could predict she'd say something as stupid as that. Hardly the fault of GB News. Lady C has been on BBC, ITV, Sky; all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

There are lads on YouTube who get a hundred views a video with better production and studio setups.

• Advertisement

Cazale wrote: »
    There are lads on YouTube who get a hundred views a video with better production and studio setups.

I'm more interested in the conversations rather than what the studio looks like.

And Andrew Neil is interviewing Chancellor Sunak tonight at 8pm.

Again, that interview interests me far more than the aesthetics around it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement