Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,359 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So my impression was that its a pro Brexit, pro Trump channel but it is complete amateur hour. Its been reported now that Andrew Neil was raging in the station at colleagues about all the technical errors.

the two may be connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Looking through the last few pages its amazing that this thread mostly seems to have attracted the very type of poster that this channel explicitly doesn't cater for.
    It must be doing something right to elicit this response.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Looking through the last few pages its amazing that this thread mostly seems to have attracted the very type of poster that this channel explicitly doesn't cater for.

I've no doubt that a fairly significant percentage of the people viewing the channel over the last 24/48 hrs are people just interested to see what it's all about. I know that some have touted the relatively high audience share that it received yesterday.

Some will actually have been interested in seeing if it's "for them" but I suspect a larger cohort are just having a look to see what "UK Fox News Lite" looks like.

The viewing figures in about 2 weeks time will be telling.

It is certainly serving as a source of amusement.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    All the time!

Here's one

All the time?

And you produce 1 quote where he refers to lack of Brexit Party involvement in a variety of BBC programmes.

How does his remarks about the Brexit Party give you the conclusion that "all the time" he claims to "never get any coverage from MSM".

It's pure invented fiction.

• Advertisement

eskimohunt wrote: »
    All the time?

And you produce 1 quote where he refers to lack of Brexit Party involvement in a variety of BBC programs.

How does his remarks about the Brexit Party give you the conclusion that "all the time" he claims to "never get any coverage from MSM".

Farage has constantly bitched about not getting airtime on the BBC despite getting much more than his number of voters deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Watched this for a while yesterday, the presenter/show was a blonde northern woman called Dewbsbury. It was a bit of a disaster really with technical errors all over the place (or 'gremlins' as the host kept calling them). She was talking for ages about going live to Boris' big press conference announcing the postponeent of 'Freedom Day' "any minute now" for about 10 minutes. Then when they did they had vision of Boris but no sound whatsoever. Panic stations all around and lots of waffle about 'the gremlins' followed. The panel guest they had on before it had left the studio but they scrambled to get him back in the seat to kill time and talk about something, anything to fill the silence.

He got back into the studio and then they showed a clip of Joe Biden telling reporters at the steps of Air Force 1 that he had a great meeting with the Quenn, she was very nice and that she reminded him of his mother. The panelist then went ranting about Biden but kept calling him "Sleepy Joe". Was thinking that even Boards has a higher level of discourse than this sh1t.

Then the Dewsbury one still scrambling for anything to talk about brings up Christen Eriksens heart attack of two days previous. There was no video clip of what happened and no new news, just a conversation about how awful it all was. After that she suddenly lurched to the Grenfell Tower fire, again there was no video clip or new news, they were just talking about how awful it all was. Then they went to a story from Kent about immigration saying the border force had no more space for unaccompanied minors trying to get into the UK, again no video, they were supposed to be talking to someone from Kent Council but "the gremlins" prevented it happening.

So my impression was that its a pro Brexit, pro Trump channel but it is complete amateur hour. Its been reported now that Andrew Neil was raging in the station at colleagues about all the technical errors.

The other thing as well is it seems there is no rolling news like you expect of a news channel. Its just one opinion show after another. Im not sure what the point of that is on a supposed news channel. The joke with Sky News being 24/7 is that they show 7 minutes of news on rolling repeat for 24 hours a day. But at least if you tune in for 7 minutes you get the news of the day and then switch over. With GB 'News' you're not going to get the news but just some host and panelists opinion on the news, seems pretty pointless really for a so called news channel.

Basically propaganda aimed at certain people and designed to massage their already cemented opinions, while being practically worthless to everybody else.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

All the time?

And you produce 1 quote where he refers to lack of Brexit Party involvement in a variety of BBC programmes.

Others have already posted details of other instances where Farage claims that the BBC don't cover him.

Here you have Farage accusing the BBC of Bias against him

And yet the BBC received a huge number of complaints for covering him and UKIP too much

A simple google search will show you multiple examples of Farage claiming bias against him ,UKIP (and the various other "parties" he led) and Brexit.

In fact everywhere you dig into the claims from the Political right that they are "being silenced" or that there is a "left wing bias" against them , the truth is usually the opposite.

In the UK , the Right get far more coverage than their support would suggest for balance - The Tories have about 40% support , yet they get far more air-time than that , even allowing for the fact they are the current party of Government.

In the US the claims from the right that "Big Tech are silencing them" is utter tosh as when you you look at the data for Social Media engagement almost the entire Top Ten most popular political posters on Facebook ,Twitter and Instagram are right wingers - Shapiro , Bongino etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I've no doubt that a fairly significant percentage of the people viewing the channel over the last 24/48 hrs are people just interested to see what it's all about. I know that some have touted the relatively high audience share that it received yesterday.

Some will actually have been interested in seeing if it's "for them" but I suspect a larger cohort are just having a look to see what "UK Fox News Lite" looks like.

The viewing figures in about 2 weeks time will be telling.

There already was some viewing figures from their launch, this was taken at 10pm.
    From memory-
    GB News 1.1%
    BBC News 0.9%
    Sky News 0.4%
    BUT
    BBC News at 10pm had 31% of the available audience.

So that tells us the people who watch news channels are a minuscule audience anyway, most people just watch the main news on the main channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The other thing as well is it seems there is no rolling news like you expect of a news channel. Its just one opinion show after another. Im not sure what the point of that is on a supposed news channel. The joke with Sky News being 24/7 is that they show 7 minutes of news on rolling repeat for 24 hours a day. But at least if you tune in for 7 minutes you get the news of the day and then switch over. With GB 'News' you're not going to get the news but just some host and panelists opinion on the news, seems pretty pointless really for a so called news channel.

A lot of people enjoy that though. Not everyone wants to be informed about what's going on - many prefer to watch a talking head giving out about migrants or how hard it is to be white or how something is "PC gone mad". There's an elitist assumption here that people should be informed of world events which I think is colouring perceptions of what this channel should be.

If you've ever met people, real people, like taxi drivers, labourers or pissed-off pensioners who've let the world pass them by, you'll notice that they don't care much for facts or much of reality for that matter. These are emotional people who are highly attuned to feelings such as impotent rage, inadequacy and fear. They don't want some college-educated fop to tell them what happened today, they want men of the people, like Lord Sugar to empathise with them, to share in their anger at the world, to make them feel like they're not alone.

So while it's easy to sneer at the amateur nature and lack of news and silly nicknames of this endeavour, it would be folly to think that it serves no purpose. It ignores to forgotten men (and women) of society - those with nowhere to go in the mornings, those who drive cars for other people, those no longer able to take care of themselves, those who purchase The Sun, those who never finished school; the list goes on. Those are the people being catered for here - not elites who read books and know things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There already was some viewing figures from their launch, this was taken at 10pm.
    From memory-
    GB News 1.1%
    BBC News 0.9%
    Sky News 0.4%
    BUT
    BBC News at 10pm had 31% of the available audience.

So that tells us the people who watch news channels are a minuscule audience anyway, most people just watch the main news on the main channel.

It's always been that way. For all the crying about "bias" from certain quarters, the straightforward news programme will be the place to go for actual news reporting. A report read out that delivers the basics of what's happening in the country and a few things that are going on around the globe.

"Analysis" and "opinion" be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I've watched some GB News. It will be interesting to see how it develops as its obvisouly very early days so far.
    I think that it is a positive thing to have an alternative to the left-leaning Sky News and BBC - though I think Sky are at least trying for some objectivity with their hiring of Trevor Phillips.
    The BBC is particular has been accused of a host of bias in terms of reporting:-
    From its 'mostly peaceful' BLM coverage during COVID in which 50 officers were injured.
    The pro-remain stacking of the panel on Question Time;
    Its over-representation, relative to the population of young, liberal, LQBTQIA+ people;
    A newsnight presenter receiving a host of complaints for monologuing when its not the place for it;

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Morgans

Diceicle wrote: »
    I think that it is a positive thing to have an alternative to the left-leaning Sky News

Communist propaganda pretending to be objective news. Pravda reincarnate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

A lot of people enjoy that though. Not everyone wants to be informed about what's going on - many prefer to watch a talking head giving out about migrants or how hard it is to be white or how something is "PC gone mad". There's an elitist assumption here that people should be informed of world events which I think is colouring perceptions of what this channel should be.

If you've ever met people, real people, like taxi drivers, labourers or pissed-off pensioners who've let the world pass them by, you'll notice that they don't care much for facts or much of reality for that matter. These are emotional people who are highly attuned to feelings such as impotent rage, inadequacy and fear. They don't want some college-educated fop to tell them what happened today, they want men of the people, like Lord Sugar to empathise with them, to share in their anger at the world, to make them feel like they're not alone.

So while it's easy to sneer at the amateur nature and lack of news and silly nicknames of this endeavour, it would be folly to think that it serves no purpose. It ignores to forgotten men (and women) of society - those with nowhere to go in the mornings, those who drive cars for other people, those no longer able to take care of themselves, those who purchase The Sun, those who never finished school; the list goes on. Those are the people being catered for here - not elites who read books and know things.

You are just admiring yourself in the mirror, that is all you are doing.

I love the way Paddies have convinced themselves that they know ordinary Brits better than the Brits know themselves...

We don't have the stomach for media outlets that aren't part of the herd...we do group think across our media infrastructure and nothing but group think...it's been that way for decades and will be for a long time to come...that's the way we like it!!

Will it ever dawn on us why we lose so many of our young to the likes of Britain and the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Morgans wrote: »
    Andrew Neil was on the BBC. Maybe once I'd bet. Never in a position of authority on that commie sewerpipe

Check out his masterful filleting of Jeremy Corbyn before the last election.

Glorious.

For the record, Boris got similar treatment.

Diceicle wrote: »
    I've watched some GB News. It will be interesting to see how it develops as its obvisouly very early days so far.
    I think that it is a positive thing to have an alternative to the left-leaning Sky News and BBC - though I think Sky are at least trying for some objectivity with their hiring of Trevor Phillips.
    The BBC is particular has been accused of a host of bias in terms of reporting:-
    From its 'mostly peaceful' BLM coverage during COVID in which 50 officers were injured.
    The pro-remain stacking of the panel on Question Time;
    Its over-representation, relative to the population of young, liberal, LQBTQIA+ people;
    A newsnight presenter receiving a host of complaints for monologuing when its not the place for it;

Seriously??

Sky News , Left leaning?

Left of what or who exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I genuinely thought Fox News was a parody of something before I realised they were serious. More of the same here I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Check out his masterful filleting of Jeremy Corbyn before the last election.

Glorious.

For the record, Boris got similar treatment.

For the record, labour only agreed to the Andrew Neil interview on condition Johnson had confirmed he would also sign up and the tory leader was also the beneficiary of audience laughter mysteriously edited out of the news segments on the bbc leaders debate. A mere technical glitch, apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,059 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Not really watched and don't want to write it off yet, but if its going to be nothing mere than a mere Fox lite channel then Ofcom need to intervene ASAP.

It doesn't matter your politics but if it continues in this vein then you will get a MSNBC on the other side and when you look at the damage that MSNBC and Fox has done to American discourse that's the last thing the UK needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I watched an hour of Dan Wootton last night, from the segment with Covid expert Roger Daltrey to well into Rod Liddle, and it was worse than I could possibly have imagined. Dan seemed to have a bingo card of buzzwords he had to get through, in particular "woke" which he tried to get in at every opportunity. He spent a large percentage of his time telling us how great GB News was and even criticising a banal discussion of it on another channel.
    Even worse, the two "lefties" (and he used that word) he had on were huge on hyperbole and low on intelligent discussion so that the whole session was just a battle of buzzwords. And Liddle constantling talked over anyone who responded to him, coming across as just a d*ck.
    The actual news slots, if they exist, may be better, but the Wootton slot is mindless rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The evening presenters are very disappointing.

Im not a fan of Dan Wootton or Michelle Dewberry, two hacks.
    Wootton is on for 3 hours which is ludicrous.

Neil is the only thing I would tune in for and his show is only an hour long.

It looks like a TalkRadio UK format but on TV.

I watched an hour of Dan Wootton last night, from the segment with Covid expert Roger Daltrey to well into Rod Liddle, and it was worse than I could possibly have imagined. Dan seemed to have a bingo card of buzzwords he had to get through, in particular "woke" which he tried to get in at every opportunity. He spent a large percentage of his time telling us how great GB News was and even criticising a banal discussion of it on another channel.
    Even worse, the two "lefties" (and he used that word) he had on were huge on hyperbole and low on intelligent discussion so that the whole session was just a battle of buzzwords. And Liddle constantling talked over anyone who responded to him, coming across as just a d*ck.
    The actual news slots, if they exist, may be better, but the Wootton slot is mindless rubbish.

As I understand it there will not be any standard "news bulletins" as you might expect , it's just a series of Talking Head opinion shows or panel discussions.

Content aside , it just doesn't seem like a model suited to the way people consume News outside of the US.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Not really watched and don't want to write it off yet, but if its going to be nothing mere than a mere Fox lite channel then Ofcom need to intervene ASAP.

It doesn't matter your politics but if it continues in this vein then you will get a MSNBC on the other side and when you look at the damage that MSNBC and Fox has done to American discourse that's the last thing the UK needs.

To be fair the rules around Fairness and Balance in the UK and Europe will prevent the extremes that you now see if the US.

It was the removal of the fairness doctrine in the US that began the decline of the TV News media there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Just had a listen there and they were suggesting that with 60 per cent of the UK adult population vaxxed and all of the vulnerable demograph done why should there be a delay in getting back to normal

Very different to the BBC and SKY in that regards

Audio is still annoying though, too much for the room they're in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The GB News app is now available to be downloaded from Google Play in Ireland. From what I can see of the 5* reviews of it who have downloaded the app on their phones already; there's a lot of positive glowing reviews of it. But tbh; I am not a bit surprised to learn this as these people are probably expressing right wing views & temperaments already before they even they watched the channel from the beginning from last Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

You've got to be kidding.

Whilst the BBC is not as Left-oriented as Channel 4, they are certainly biased to the Left, too. VERY anti-Brexit, to give one salient example.

They are nowhere near "perfectly centrist", even when compared to RTE!

They were VERY anti-Corbyn. The most left-leaning leader of the Labour Party in a generation and they actively campaigned against him throughout his entire tenure. The criticism they get from left and right would suggest that they're as close to the centre as a media organisation is ever going to get.

Perhaps you're blinded by your own stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

A safe space for people who can't form a sentence without bringing woke, snowflake, cancel culture etc etc in to it, bitter about their shiite lives and need someone to blame instead looking at themselves.

Also I remember seeing Dan Wooton on TV about 5 years ago, it wasn't politics related just some stupid show and Jesus he has a punchable face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Watched about 30 minutes earlier and thought it wasn’t impressed. Sound was awful, set looked cheap and the interviewer had to lean in and out with a microphone when interviewing (out of the studio but still, could they not have miced up the interviewee).

The topics were strange as well, 2 stories about ex-servicemen and a story about cladding post Grenfell Tower.

The cladding story seemed to be an nothing more than an attempt to generate some outrage.

Wasn’t impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    A safe space for people who can't form a sentence without bringing woke, snowflake, cancel culture etc etc in to it, bitter about their shiite lives and need someone to blame instead looking at themselves.

Also I remember seeing Dan Wooton on TV about 5 years ago, it wasn't politics related just some stupid show and Jesus he has a punchable face.

Agree and I don't mind it. Let the snowflakes have their own safe space I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just after having a look at it
    Looks more like a local news channel than a national broadcaster and the presenter is dire

They also must have hired the same audio technicians that RTE use

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement