Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

I see Rosie Wright on there today ex Euronews, I'd wondered where she'd gone to in the mornings. I'd usually have the RTE news now channel on in the morning and she'd have presented the hour of Euronews they show between 9-10.

Our own Seana Davis has been absent from Euronews lately too, wonder has she jumped to GB news too?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You give it six months because your views are in polar dis-alignment with your own. If they agreed with you, I have no doubt your view would be very different.

Yes, I don't agree with a lot of what they have said so far when I was watching because most of what they said was complete BS.
    Second, I have no idea whether you watch the BBC or Channel 4, but your almost reflexive condemnatory comments regarding GB News after 2-days of viewing suggests that something is going on.

I rarely watch any T.V, When I do its Netflix, Prime etc, U.K T.V really doesn't appeal.to me.all that much.
    As for Tommy Robinson, I find him a reprehensible toxic figure and hope he disappears from discourse from all media outlets, everywhere, forever.

Yet going by what I have seen of that channel.so far its TR supporters they appeal to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Morgans

Where would I have seen this Andrew Neil character before? His views are interesting me and thankfully there's finally an outlet that will let him on TV. It's a shocking state of society that this is the first time I've seen him.

And Alastair Stewart. This is why we need GBNews. How has he never been on the fake news MSM?

And Carole Malone? The voices drowned out by MSM has been unbelievable.

Yet going by what I have seen of that channel.so far its TR supporters they appeal to.

99.5% of the UK population reject Tommy Robinson.

The idea that GB News is "targeting Tommy Robinson" votes as a path to success is absolute undiluted, moonshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Morgans wrote: »
    Where would I have seen this Andrew Neil character before? His views are interesting me and thankfully there's finally an outlet that will let him on TV. It's a shocking state of society that this is the first time I've seen him.

And Alastair Stewart. This is why we need GBNews. How has he never been on the fake news MSM?

Alastair Stewart is an ex-ITN Newsreader. He used to work for ITV News. He currently has a weekday radio show on LBC Radio in London.

• Advertisement

Alastair Stewart is an ex-ITN Newsreader. He used to work for ITV News. He currently has a weekday radio show on LBC Radio in London.

Yeah. Fair enough. He has a high profile platform to say what he wants, regardless of GBNews. Bet Andrew Neil never had that privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

And Andrew Neil was famously a major BBC contributor; I believe the poster is being facetious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Took me a while to recognise this was sarcasm. It's so hard to tell at times!

And Andrew Neil was famously a major BBC contributor; I believe the poster is being facetious :)

Andrew Neil was on the BBC. Maybe once I'd bet. Never in a position of authority on that commie sewerpipe

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Eh, Andrew Neil fronted his own show in one format or another on the BBC from the mid-nineties until 2019. He's been on the TV for quite a while, no idea how you've never seen him until now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

He also edited the Sunday Times for 11 years. He's far from an unknown.

edit: it wasn't obvious from the partial quote I saw that the post was taking the piss. The original post is clear in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Untitled-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

99.5% of the UK population reject Tommy Robinson.

The idea that GB News is "targeting Tommy Robinson" votes as a path to success is absolute undiluted, moonshine.

Hence my "I give it six months" prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

eskimohunt wrote: »
    So, you give GB News "six months" because it has right-leaning views.

But you give the BBC, Channel 4, and ITV permanency because they align with your views.

This, all at a time when Conservatives are being elected in overwhelming number by Old Left voters.

I give your post 6 seconds.

I'd give it six months to a year because I'm not convinced there's a market for what they're serving up. I'd be saying the same if it was a far-left channel. Also, if they don't very quickly get on top of their litany of stupid and avoidable technical problems, they'll become a massive laughing stock.

None of which means they can't do some interesting stuff in the meantime. I'd love a long-form, open-ended late-night chat show along the lines of After Dark. But I can't see that happening because, well, they seem to be going down the Fox News route instead. I hope that changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Andrew Neil was on the BBC. Maybe once I'd bet. Never in a position of authority on that commie sewerpipe

The BBC has always been a cold house for right-wingers. Apart from Andrew Neil, John Humphrys, Jeremy Paxman, Laura Kuennsberg, Peter Sissons, Rod Liddle (the fella who left his wife for a young one) and maybe a few others who I can't think of right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'd love a long-form, open-ended late-night chat show along the lines of After Dark.

Where did that Channel 4 go?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Why are people watching something they know that they'll hate? There seems to be more interest here from critics than would be viewers. Like those lads in America, who sit around watching Fox News, just to find something to be offended by. There's something seriously wrong with modern humans, when they are almost more motivated by things that they hate than things that they love.

We focus too much on the bad, too much on the negative. We're always aware of the threats. We're built to struggle to survive in a world where we're comfortable so we invent **** to stress us out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The BBC has always been a cold house for right-wingers. Apart from Andrew Neil, John Humphrys, Jeremy Paxman, Laura Kuennsberg, Peter Sissons, Rod Liddle (the fella who left his wife for a young one) and maybe a few others who I can't think of right now.

Nigel Farage and his near record number of appearances on Question Time, liberally sprinkled with profoundly unironic admonishments for the bbc and other msm outlets for never giving him any coverage at all at all.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Nigel Farage and his near record number of appearances on Question Time, liberally sprinkled with profoundly unironic admonishments for the bbc and other msm outlets for never giving him any coverage at all at all.

This is the point I was trying to make earlier , the suggestion that the News Media in the UK has a slant against viewpoints from anywhere on the Right is just plain wrong.

BBC Topical Comedy shows ? - Sure , not much love for the right there , but their actual news & current affairs shows , the right are heavily over represented across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

The BBC seem to be getting hate from both left and right at the moment...

In my bubble the right are very much louder than the left (but I have a weird fascination with the pro Brexit crowd currently).

From what I have watched it is very much in start up mode, will revisit in 3 months once they have sorted out their teething issues... If you want to predict if it will succeed or fail, just monitor the adds (quality, brand and duration)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Relative to RTE, the BBC is perfectly centrist in my eyes

We need a new news outfit a lot more than the brits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

The British security services until at least the 1990s vetted people who were looking for jobs in the BBC. If you were not the right stuff you did not get a job. MI5 kept "subversives" from the airwaves. They always denied it I believe but it came out some years back. I suppose they are denying they are doing it now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

Has there been any discussion on the channel about the Irish language act in NI?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Relative to RTE, the BBC is perfectly centrist in my eyes

We need a new news outfit a lot more than the brits

You've got to be kidding.

Whilst the BBC is not as Left-oriented as Channel 4, they are certainly biased to the Left, too. VERY anti-Brexit, to give one salient example.

They are nowhere near "perfectly centrist", even when compared to RTE!

Where did Farage claim that MSM "never give him any coverage"?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Where did Farage claim that MSM "never give him any coverage"?

All the time!

Here's one

Indeed. BBC head, a major Conseravative Donor, ex Boss of Rishi Sunak and former Goldman Sachs banker. Of course, he is very left leaning. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/bbc-richard-sharp-chair-conservatives-b1787399.html

If GBNews can't gin up the victimhood it says it feels amongst its target audience, it will have 20 mins of programming a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Watched this for a while yesterday, the presenter/show was a blonde northern woman called Dewbsbury. It was a bit of a disaster really with technical errors all over the place (or 'gremlins' as the host kept calling them). She was talking for ages about going live to Boris' big press conference announcing the postponeent of 'Freedom Day' "any minute now" for about 10 minutes. Then when they did they had vision of Boris but no sound whatsoever. Panic stations all around and lots of waffle about 'the gremlins' followed. The panel guest they had on before it had left the studio but they scrambled to get him back in the seat to kill time and talk about something, anything to fill the silence.

He got back into the studio and then they showed a clip of Joe Biden telling reporters at the steps of Air Force 1 that he had a great meeting with the Quenn, she was very nice and that she reminded him of his mother. The panelist then went ranting about Biden but kept calling him "Sleepy Joe". Was thinking that even Boards has a higher level of discourse than this sh1t.

Then the Dewsbury one still scrambling for anything to talk about brings up Christen Eriksens heart attack of two days previous. There was no video clip of what happened and no new news, just a conversation about how awful it all was. After that she suddenly lurched to the Grenfell Tower fire, again there was no video clip or new news, they were just talking about how awful it all was. Then they went to a story from Kent about immigration saying the border force had no more space for unaccompanied minors trying to get into the UK, again no video, they were supposed to be talking to someone from Kent Council but "the gremlins" prevented it happening.

So my impression was that its a pro Brexit, pro Trump channel but it is complete amateur hour. Its been reported now that Andrew Neil was raging in the station at colleagues about all the technical errors.

The other thing as well is it seems there is no rolling news like you expect of a news channel. Its just one opinion show after another. Im not sure what the point of that is on a supposed news channel. The joke with Sky News being 24/7 is that they show 7 minutes of news on rolling repeat for 24 hours a day. But at least if you tune in for 7 minutes you get the news of the day and then switch over. With GB 'News' you're not going to get the news but just some host and panelists opinion on the news, seems pretty pointless really for a so called news channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    All the time!

Here's one

Yeah, all the time pretty much.

This from BP conference 2019, just two days before our Nige was due to make his 32nd, or was it 33rd, appearance on Question Time:

Speaking at a Brexit Party conference he said: "I must say it's jolly nice of the BBC to be here today. I've been up and down the country attending rallies with thousands of people and the BBC haven't bothered to turn up once.

"I also notice that on no single major current affairs debate or news programme has a single person from the Brexit Party appeared."

You gotta laugh. Almost as hilarious as the repeated contentions that the bbc was chock full of lefty liberal remainers at a crucial time leading up to the 2016 vote when the bbcs head of politics was none other than staunch brexiteer, Tory and subsequent government adviser, Robbie Gibb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You've got to be kidding.

Whilst the BBC is not as Left-oriented as Channel 4, they are certainly biased to the Left, too. VERY anti-Brexit, to give one salient example.

They are nowhere near "perfectly centrist", even when compared to RTE!

RTE is far more left than BBC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement