Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Far right!! . Only heavy left wing bias should be allowed!! Waa, Waa, I want my mommy!

iCeI3Vr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Cant find it on me telly....

Virgin dont have it in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

archfi wrote: »
    Pardon me?
    I doubt you'll reply.

Andrew DOYLE?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Annasopra wrote: »
    Andrew DOYLE?

https://www.gbnews.uk/bio/andrew-doyle

What's giving you trouble?

Lurleen wrote: »
    Andrew Doyle is another presenter on the station, along with Andrew Neil.
    Annasopra wrote: »
    Andrew DOYLE?
    Must have missed my clarification numerous posts ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Just checked it out, they'd want to do some about their sound mix, sounds like it's being broadcast from an empty warehouse, might have a studio covered in blankets by the end of the week

Some wag pointed out that they knew it was going to lean right, but they were'nt expecting them to have Ayatollah Sugar on issuing fatwahs.

vm2vc00b-720.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

A paywall article from Broadcast Now in the UK was reporting over 50% of the audience who watched the launch show last night were over 65 years old. Under 20% of the audience from last night were from the C2DE demographic which covers the British working class audience.

GB News have begun to cover their remit which reports on news stories from the regions when they had the paper reviews this morning with the national stories being covered afterwards. During the paper reviews; they would have editors of the local newspapers come into the studio to discuss their main stories from their own newspaper titles with other local titles from the UK.

Their weather forecasts are also being provided with a voiceover from the UK Met Office which comes along with a sponsorship advert.

On the content side of things if you want to see more general news being covered; I think this channel will be one that currently acts as a complement to BBC News & Sky News. And this would go against their current strategy of acting out as a direct replacement to those outlets.

When you watch GB News; you're not going to get any rolling news or any actual straight national news bulletins that are similar from the likes of the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 or Channel 5 either. What you will see is what you will get with the GB News experience & that's going to be a very poor one so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Watched 10 mins of De Piero and whatshisface earlier.

I'm not exaggerating for one second when I say the media project I made in TY with some mates in 1993 with a JVC camcorder had superior production values. And, quite frankly, content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Lurleen wrote: »
    Leftwing is no worse than right-wing.

Far left/right or extreme left/right is another story.

I agree with you and was just being smart earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A legacy media start up is a big gamble i would have thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Just looked at it there for the first time. The sound was down (as I'm supposed to be in a meeting!) so I can't comment on it at all really, I just noticed the studio is a lot darker than normal, instead of the usual bright lights there's actually a plant in the background. Camera slightly closer/lower too? Something slightly off?

That says nothing about quality, it's just interesting that there's an inbuilt convention about a news set should look like, and my initial reaction is negative for no other reason than it's outside that convention, which means nothing when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The set is certainly different. Not necessarily a bad thing.

At the same time, some of the sound issues are dreadful.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Broadcast businesses eat through money very quickly so money may become an issue quickly if they don't get a good income stream. Have they much advertising revenue I wonder?

No "News" channel in Europe is profitable, Sky News loses money every year and most others have State subsidies (BBC, RTE etc.)

TV News is a loss leader in Europe for most Media companies.

This isn't a Commercial activity , it is a political exercise and nothing more.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's also interesting to note that almost all of the money behind GB News and indeed almost every director/board member are from outside the UK (Australia and US mostly it would seem)

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It's also interesting to note that almost all of the money behind GB News and indeed almost every director/board member are from outside the UK (Australia and US mostly it would seem)

And why is that a problem?

Set and sound definitely need work, but it was never going to be perfect from the get go. At this stage, GB News is an idea - a good idea, and implementation will take time, as it would for any new channel.

Andrew Neil is currently on as we speak, discussing illegal migration across the English Channel, and condemning Priti Patel for not removing more failed asylum seekers from the country.

This is EXACTLY the kind of right-leaning politics we need to hear more of, and it is more representative of the broader UK opinion than you would be led to believe by the BBC or Channel 4 or ITV.

For once, a pro-Brexit channel; what a breath of fresh air for those of us who support it.

And in the words of Nigel Farage:

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1404479551770697728

I'd be a remainer but I can't stand the dismissal of conservative or even just centre views as racist, fascist, transphobic, bigoted - when the person might be a liberal when it comes to so much else. It's lazy and dishonest.
    Cant find it on me telly....
    515 if you have Sky.

eskimohunt wrote: »
    And why is that a problem?

It isn't a problem at all , it's just an interesting juxtaposition given the fairly Jingoistic language surrounding the channel - British News for British people etc. yet they don't seem to have found many British investors or executives to buy in to the concept.

It isn't a problem at all , it's just an interesting juxtaposition given the fairly Jingoistic language surrounding the channel - British News for British people etc. yet they don't seem to have found many British investors or executives to buy in to the concept.

Jingoism:
    characterized by extreme patriotism, especially in the form of aggressive or warlike foreign policy.
    What jingoism?

What is wrong with embracing national identity, and why is that, in your language, juxtaposed with "extreme patriotism"?

Jingoism:

What jingoism?

What is wrong with embracing national identity, and why is that, in your language, juxtaposed with "extreme patriotism"?

The traditional meanings of Nationalism and Patriotism have been blurred and even inverted in recent times especially in the US.

But in classic terms , Patriotism is pride in your nation for it's sake alone whereas Nationalism typically is Pride or indeed the Superiority of your own nation at the expense of others.

Being proud of who you are and your heritage is absolutely fine and something that should absolutely be lauded and promoted.

But expressing that Pride by demeaning and running down everyone else absolutely should not be.

I view the type of "Nationalism" as espoused by the typical Brexiter, which lets be fair are the GB News target audience as being a classic example of that bad kind of Nationalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

But in classic terms , Patriotism is pride in your nation for it's sake alone whereas Nationalism typically is Pride or indeed the Superiority of your own nation at the expense of others.

I now that certain quarters have been doing their best to redefine every term to suit their own worldview. but deary me, that's an impressive level of disingenuity.
    I view the type of "Nationalism" as espoused by the typical Brexiter,

Of course, based on your own jaundiced view of a "typical" brexiter, which isnt reflected in most opinion polling of leave voters. But anyway you were saying something about demeaning and running down groups as something not to be lauded, do continue...

But expressing that Pride by demeaning and running down everyone else absolutely should not be.

I view the type of "Nationalism" as espoused by the typical Brexiter, which lets be fair are the GB News target audience as being a classic example of that bad kind of Nationalism.

From what I've seen so far, GB News does not run everyone down with whom they disagree.

Instead, they want to challenge ideas that go unchallenged across other media channels - especially as it relates to free speech and wokeism.

But GB News is more than about those two topics, so I'm unsure why you assume that this is somehow an extremist nationalist channel.

From what I've seen so far, GB News does not run everyone down with whom they disagree.

Instead, they want to challenge ideas that go unchallenged across other media channels - especially as it relates to free speech and wokeism.

But GB News is more than about those two topics, so I'm unsure why you assume that this is somehow an extremist nationalist channel.

To be fair , they've been on air for a day or so, hard to know exactly where the tone will settle just yet

I don't believe it's "extremist" but I do see it as pandering to a certain mindset that has potential to think in those terms.

Ofcom and the various other rules around Broadcast media in terms of balance and facts in the UK mean that no news outlet could ever go the way of a Fox News or worst still a Newsmax or OANN.

Perhaps those guardrails will hold GB News to a line that allows them to be what they claim to want to be which a counterbalance to the perception of a Left wing Bias in British media - Which really doesn't exist in the news media in the UK.

No question that other parts of the media have a left-wing bias - Scripted Drama , Comedy etc. but I really don't see that bias in Broadcast news at all in the UK.

Bambi wrote: »
    I now that certain quarters have been doing their best to redefine every term to suit their own worldview. but deary me, that's an impressive level of disingenuity.

Well the Dictionary definition of Nationalism is
    Identification with one's own nation and support for its interests, especially to the exclusion or detriment of the interests of other nations.

For for Patriotism it's
    The quality of being patriotic; devotion to and vigorous support for one's country.

So pretty much exactly what I just said , so not seeing how that's disengenuous at all.
    Bambi wrote: »
    Of course, based on your own jaundiced view of a "typical" brexiter, which isnt reflected in most opinion polling of leave voters. But anyway you were saying something about demeaning and running down groups as something not to be lauded, do continue...

Fair enough - That was an unnecessarily generic brush to use , apologies.

I guess by "Typical Brexiter" my thoughts were more about the visible, vocal versions that are interviewed and quoted in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Wooton talking to Megyn Kelly right now....Nuff said

Wooton talking to Megyn Kelly right now....Nuff said

That is exactly the contemptible, condescending attitude that has led to the rise of GB News.

"I know best, don't listen to them - we're all right".

Why not listen to ideas, even if you disagree with them?

I do it all the time.

But this self-righteous arrogance that "I know best...", "don't listen to them purely because of who they are, and not because of the validity of their ideas", is absolutely ridiculous.

That is exactly the contemptible, condescending attitude that has led to the rise of GB News.

"I know best, don't listen to them - we're all right".

Why not listen to ideas, even if you disagree with them?

I do it all the time.

But this self-righteous arrogance that "I know best...", "don't listen to them purely because of who they are, and not because of the validity of their ideas", is absolutely ridiculous.

I did listen, I might as well have been listening to Fox. Talking shìte, perpetually outraged about everything and nothing and using the words "The Left" every second sentence. I give it six months.

I did listen, I might as well have been listening to Fox. Talking shìte, perpetually outraged about everything and nothing and using the words "The Left" every second sentence. I give it six months.

So, you give GB News "six months" because it has right-leaning views.

But you give the BBC, Channel 4, and ITV permanency because they align with your views.

This, all at a time when Conservatives are being elected in overwhelming number by Old Left voters.

I give your post 6 seconds.

So, you give GB News "six months" because it has right-leaning views.

No, I give it six months because I dont think they will have decent sized viewing numbers by then.
    you give the BBC, Channel 4, and ITV permanency because they align with your views.

What makes you think i watch those channels?
    This, all at a time when Conservatives are being elected in overwhelming number by Old Left voters.

I give your post 6 seconds.

How did Tommy Robinson do in his election bid?

• Advertisement

No, I give it six months because I dont think they will have decent sized viewing numbers by then.

What makes you think i watch those channels?

How did Tommy Robinson do in his election bid?

You give it six months because your views are in polar dis-alignment with your own. If they agreed with you, I have no doubt your view would be very different.

Second, I have no idea whether you watch the BBC or Channel 4, but your almost reflexive condemnatory comments regarding GB News after 2-days of viewing suggests that something is going on.

As for Tommy Robinson, I find him a reprehensible toxic figure and hope he disappears from discourse from all media outlets, everywhere, forever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement