Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terror incident in Paris

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

there have been 230 radical
    violent attacks in France in the past 3
    years alone.

Damn right I havn’t heard any talk of this in mainstream Iriah media. But Fungi
    is missing amd the Kinehans gf is under
    police protection.

W.T.F

I'd imagine there's not much Irish news in French media either

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Maybe Fungie went to France...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

Maybe Fungie went to France...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Yes, all religions area bad. However some are worse then others and some are more dangerous then others.
    ffs... The good thing is:: posts like this will never ever turn the billions of believers away from religion. Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

ffs... The good thing is:: posts like this will never ever turn the billions of believers away from religion. Amen.

No I am sure increases in the level of education throughout the population and more thinking for themselves will do it.

I don't think anyone thinks a post on boards will do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

seenitall wrote: »
    I did the quick Google search in French on the above, the victim hasn’t been named yet. And Raphael Liogier seems to be a big name in the sociology of religion and what-not, so highly unlikely he would be teaching history in a secondary school.

Sounds like fake news.

These conveniently shareable memes created in the aftermath of these things usually are fake. Shìt stirring "news".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

To be honest i welcome this display of Islamic tolerance and peace, might finally get some to cop on to the reality of importing third world folk with third world views/problems.

*Naturally myself or others who point this out are Nazis.

Weren't those guys first world Christians!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Now it's nine people detained over beheading of French teacher in Paris suburb.
    https://www.france24.com/en/france/20201017-nine-people-detained-over-beheading-of-french-teacher-in-paris-suburb

Decrying an "Islamist terrorist attack", the French president said the whole country stood united behind its teachers.

The teacher reportedly "asked his Muslim students to leave the room because he was going to show some cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed that could have caused offence," Kim said, adding that this had angered some parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

So your saying nothing of value was lost?

Cathy Newman, is that you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

It's hard for me to take a completely literal interpretation of any religion seriously, but one of the benefits of a strong Christian faith in the west would have been a natural disinclination towards allowing Islam to get a foothold. I think those kinds of "side effects" of religion are actually the real purpose, they set up a structure which benefits its own group almost like an implicit game theory type model.

I'd like something better than religion to take its place, preferably without any fairy stories, but I'm scratching my head to think what that might be. Tolerance is what I hear preached, even as barbaric shit like this goes on regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Horrifyimg beyond imagining.

An 18 year old did this - not parent of a child - because he was ‘offended’ at hearing the class discussion in the school. He was
    on a high risk watch list
    for violene and extreme radacalised behaviour

-ALONG WITH 20,000 OTHERS

Mother of God.
    and there have been 230 radical
    years alone.

police protection.

W.T.F

And Johnny Sexton is injured.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Graham wrote: »
    I'd imagine there's not much Irish news in French media either

Because the beheading on an innocent teacher is Global news, or at least should be. A missing dolphin in Dingle will hardly concern somebody in Toulon'
    Or likewise a serious road accident in Lyons would concern somebody in Clifden.
    RTE and the MMS in this country are a total disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Horrifyimg beyond imagining.

An 18 year old did this - not parent of a child - because he was ‘offended’ at hearing the class discussion in the school. He was
    on a high risk watch list
    for violene and extreme radacalised behaviour

-ALONG WITH 20,000 OTHERS

Mother of God.
    and there have been 230 radical
    years alone.

police protection.

W.T.F

And this is the same outlet that has the gall to run adverts about they are the one purveyor of truth and others are fake news.
    Some may be fake news but RTE are no news unless it suits their agenda.
    Bunch of self entitled c**ts.

Exactly, I remember thinking it at the time, that every newspaper should have had those cartoons headlined around the world.

They can't go after everyone, the fact that Sky News and others grovelled and apologized to any "offence" caused when someone tried to show the cartoons whilst being interviewed just emboldens these fanatics.

Also the reaction from some of the RTE "journalists" was a disgrace ...

You do remember the darling of the Irish media on all things islam at the time one Dr Ali Selim had said he would sue if anyone in the media printed, published or retweeted the cartoons.
    And the gutless didn't tell him F Off.
    Oh and he had already refused to condemn 911 attacks.

It was only when he pi**ed off feminists and women in general with his stance on FGM that he was finally jettisoned.
    He must have been surprised after all the other things he had gotten away with.
    We were raping and killing kids in Ireland while wearing priest garb until very recently. All religion is bad and takes advantage of people.

Ahh FFS why is this always trotted out as an excuse.

It is infantile like a kid caught doing something bold replying with "johnny also did last week".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

biko wrote: »
    Now it's nine people detained over beheading of French teacher in Paris suburb.
    https://www.france24.com/en/france/20201017-nine-people-detained-over-beheading-of-french-teacher-in-paris-suburb

Decrying an "Islamist terrorist attack", the French president said the whole country stood united behind its teachers.

The teacher reportedly "asked his Muslim students to leave the room because he was going to show some cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed that could have caused offence," Kim said, adding that this had angered some parents.

Well if he hadn't asked them leave the room there might be more people detained now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

jmayo wrote: »
    Ahh FFS why is this always trotted out as an excuse.

It is infantile like a kid caught doing something bold replying with "johnny also did last week".

No excuses, it was in response to a poster saying Islam is 300 years behind Christianity. Doesn't seem that way if you look at the horrors committed on the Irish population in the 20th century.
    I know you rural folk have your heads in the sand when it comes to these things and are good God fearing Catholics, but I think all religion should be discouraged in Ireland not just Islam. They're all bad news built on ridiculous stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ElitesTeam

No excuses, it was in response to a poster saying Islam is 300 years behind Christianity. Doesn't seem that way if you look at the horrors committed on the Irish population in the 20th century.
    I know you rural folk have your heads in the sand when it comes to these things and are good God fearing Catholics, but I think all religion should be discouraged in Ireland not just Islam. They're all bad news built on ridiculous stories.

Muslims have a disproportionate amount of extremists compared to any other religion. At least 40-50% of Muslims agree to sharia law and are not tolerant to criticism of any kind. The Quran breeds extremism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

You're a fantasist. If there was as many of these types as you think, abortion would not be legalized, nor would same sex marriage. You literally have to create fiction so that you can appear to have a point.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

TomTomTim wrote: »
    You're a fantasist. If there was as many of these types as you think, abortion would not be legalized, nor would same sex marriage. You literally have to create fiction so that you can appear to have a point.

It’s a joke, jmayo and I go way back. Wasn’t there one or two counties that voted against these things though?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This teacher is a martyr for secularism, liberalism and freedom of expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

https://twitter.com/DanaNawzar/status/1317424128119496705

While the Islamist's themselves are a problem, these types are nearly just as bad. Absolutely disgusting deflection.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ehh I haven't believed in God since I was in national school sonny.
    And as a kid I couldn't even be bothered going to see that git from Poland when he was in the same county and more than half the country, Dublin included, were falling all over themselves to go see him.

Also not excusing the fookers and all the harm they did to kids and women in particular, but it has been a fair while since they encouraged people to kill non believers because they insulted Jesus or encouraged people to go slaughter in the name of their god.

Then on the other hand we have muslim clerics at it at this very time.

But of course you damn well know that.

And if Ireland was still so priest ridden how come we have abortion, divorce, contraception, same sex marriage ?

It’s a joke, jmayo and I go way back. Wasn’t there one or two counties that voted against these things though?

Roscommon the county time forgot. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

modernity cannot be shut out, the internet gets through despite censorship, illegal satellite TV in Iran, etc. so it should "only" take about 100 years for most of them to realise it's all a load of bollox, especially the perverse sexual morality which is there to control people.

Possibly not appropriate thread for comment...but I think that's a bit naive.
    People have endless capacity to believe in all kinds of nonsense if it pushes the right buttons somewhere in their brain.
    I think the current wave of extremists & spread of damaging "lets go back to the books" ideas in Islam is quite modern anyway (maybe dating to the 70s).
    Something like "ISIS" was an extremely modern phenomenon. Islamic extremism is promoted around the world by the same internet & satellite TV pumping out the Western ideas. On the "age of Islam"/"Islam is a young religion" (vs Christianity) argument I believe there's more to it than that also unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

As sad as it is and as Atheist as I am, when in Rome act like Rome. When in Paris, Bruxels, London and any other similar city, keep in mind you are not that free to do what you want.

Das Reich wrote: »
    As sad as it is and as Atheist as I am, when in Rome act like Rome. When in Paris, Bruxels, London and any other similar city, keep in mind you are not that free to do what you want.

Yup, and as a French person living in France act like you're in Kabul in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

While the Islamist's themselves are a problem, these types are nearly just as bad. Absolutely disgusting deflection.

That has to be satire, surely?

There is more than a feint whiff of a lot of BLM supporters from that tweet.

It is indeed disgusting.

Yup, and as a French person living in France act like you're in Kabul in the 80s.
    Unless we think the achievements of the Enlightenment deserve defending.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Lap Steel wrote: »
    Choping a man's head off over a drawing of fcuking mohammad....what kind of stone age retards are we importing into Europe?

Liberalism takes no sides. We should all get along, if that teacher didn't hurt the poor Chechens feelings RE Mohammed he'd still be alive. Bla bla bla.

/|\
    /\

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

And what do the Muslims think? Let's see

20201017-174840.jpg

20201017-174836.jpg

Soon in a mosque near you, thanks to your progressive friends

Advertisement