Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great British Bake Off 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I thought the patches were from the wet towels around their necks rather than sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

miamee wrote: »
    I've just finished watching last night's episode there. I was nearly getting sick with the sweat on them, awful to look at and then they wear the same clothes next day. I'm 100% sure they were laundered and were fresh but it still looks gank. I do have an odd thing about rolling sweat though :(

Not sure it was all sweat though. I initially thought the same, then realised they had wet towels around their neck that was wetting their aprons etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I think this one is between Peter & Hermione.

Laura & Dave are very inconsistent which willprobably catch up with them.

Surprised Marc still in it, he had some very poor weeks at the start but seems to be continually climbing.

I'm probably on the anyone but Dave bus, but like the level of thought & detail Peter puts into his stuff & some of Heromine's flavours are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

I've just finished watching last night's episode there. I was nearly getting sick with the sweat on them, awful to look at and then they wear the same clothes next day. I'm 100% sure they were laundered and were fresh but it still looks gank. I do have an odd thing about rolling sweat though :(

I always thought they filmed each episode in the same day? Like strictly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,141 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Happy4all wrote: »

I always thought they filmed each episode in the same day? Like strictly

Nope its always been done over two days
    If you add up the time for all the bakes etc that would be one long ass day of baking!!

Happy for hermine.
    Calling it as peter, hermine and possibly mark for the semi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

sammyjo90 wrote: »

Nope its always been done over two days
    If you add up the time for all the bakes etc that would be one long ass day of baking!!

Happy for hermine.
    Calling it as peter, hermine and possibly mark for the semi!

Remember reading an interview with Paul Hollywood and he said when it first started he was told he needed 2 identical shirts for the 2 days and he had to go out and buy all new shirts as the ones he had he couldn't find any more :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Addle wrote: »
    I thought the patches were from the wet towels around their necks rather than sweat.

I think so too because there have been other years with weather that hot and I've never seen sweating like that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The towels on their necks being wet makes a lot more sense...and a lot less ick, lol. Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I didn’t notice those towels at all and thought it was sweat too!

Sorry to see Lottie go, she was my favourite but not ever going to win it, I think. It was obvious to me she was going to go even before they started judging the showstopper. It just looked a complete disaster.

Still think it’s between Hermine and Peter for the final; she is more consistent - Prue called her a very good French baker last week - but he has more flair so if he pulls it off on the day he may pip her.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Gawd, Harry Hill as well as Tom Allen..... An Extra Slice is a bit of a trial this week.

Meant to say at the time, very magnanimous of Prue not to demand a special version of quiche because she didn't like beans, unlike Paul last week!

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Gawd, Harry Hill as well as Tom Allen..... An Extra Slice is a bit of a trial this week.

I switched it off. Apart from tom Allen I thought the dynamic between the guests was odd. They were a bit 'off' with each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,248 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Meant to say at the time, very magnanimous of Prue not to demand a special version of quiche because she didn't like beans, unlike Paul last week!
    I love both of them tbh...to each their own.
    Harry Hill is excellent presenting junior bake off.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

I like matt more than I thought i would, but I really miss sandi

Mmmmmm.... baked cheesecake.... mmmmmm!!!

Euwwww..... steamed puddings.... suet..... yuck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Those steamed whatevers looked revolting

They look awful and all undercooked. Dont think the time given was enough. A couple undercooked yes but all of them! And I never noticed before on top of their instructions in red 'Do not confer with the other contestants'!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Pru is 80!

Thargor wrote: »
    Pru is 80!

Exactly my thought!!

Thargor wrote: »
    Pru is 80!

Look well for 80 and Mary Berry 85.

Eating lots of cake must be the secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Peter in last place is interesting.
    Looks like Laura is safe.

• Advertisement

These showstopper cakes just sound weird!!

And not terribly appetising....

Never saw anything like those jelly cakes ! They look like a fun centrepiece .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Look well for 80 and Mary Berry 85.

Eating lots of cake must be the secret.

Look at nigella and your Gillian "you are what you eat " one.....they are the same age as far as I can remember....yeah I'll have nigella's diet:D

The standard is very low this year really

Some of them were very good visually

Oooh, from rock solid favourite (ok, maybe joint favourite), Peter is in serious danger here......

Some of them were very good visually

There's not one that screamed, or even whispered, "eat me" though.

Very odd bake choices overall this series.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Those jelly cakes were absolutely beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Why didn't Paul shake Hermine's hand if it was Parisian bakery standard? I think she'll win it out

That pond pudding looked horrendous. Also they got 2.5 hrs for the technical but needed 2 hours to steam it? That challenge was a bit ridiculous really

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    Why didn't Paul shake Hermine's hand if it was Parisian bakery standard? I think she'll win it out

That pond pudding looked horrendous. Also they got 2.5 hrs for the technical but needed 2 hours to steam it? That challenge was a bit ridiculous really

Agreed, thought all of that while watching!

Advertisement