Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great British Bake Off 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The emergence of Carol Vorderman! Lol

Quiche lorraine would be a fantastic drag queen name..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Beans in a quiche,scrambled eggs in custard.

They've lost the plot...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Dont like quiche but I do like a cream donut :)

Dont like quiche but I do like a cream donut :)
    Is a cream donut retro? I am with ya! Yum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Peter sounds exactly like Gareth from the UK office. I'm just waiting for him to say hes in the territorial army.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

+33°C in the tent. Everybody's pouring sweat. Where's their health & safety team??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Ice cream puddle week

• Registered Users Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm watching on a seriously flaky Internet connection, so I'm missing bits all over the place (where did Carol V come into it???), but this surely has to be Hermine's week?

I'd listen to her reading the phone book tbh!

j@utis wrote: »
    +33°C in the tent. Everybody's pouring sweat. Where's their health & safety team??
    They have fans and little wet rags for their neck you would think they would fire in an old remote ac

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm watching on a seriously flaky Internet connection, so I'm missing bits all over the place (where did Carol V come into it???), but this surely has to be Hermine's week?

I'd listen to her reading the phone book tbh!
    They were just mentioning things from the 80s.
    I know they loved hermines quiche flavours but one of bases was a bit underdone.
    I am a bit behind

gmisk wrote: »
    They were just mentioning things from the 80s.
    I know they loved hermines quiche flavours but one of bases was a bit underdone

I missed the whole judging bits for the quiches and the doughnuts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

gmisk wrote: »
    They have fans and little wet rags for their neck you would think they would fire in an old remote ac

It really annoys me at this stage, its the same every year. I think the producers must think it adds to the drama or something but its ridiculous and just not fair to the contestants.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Poor Laura, what a disaster! :(

You'd think the producers would spring for a wee AC set for the tent, that's a ridiculous task in that heat..!

Peter's looks amazing (on my tiny screen in between the freeze frames)..... think Hermine seems to have done well too....

Jaysus, what a nightmare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

these challenges seem more 70s than 80s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Poor Laura, what a disaster! :(

You'd think the producers would spring for a wee AC set for the tent, that's a ridiculous task in that heat..!

It is in fairness, it's a problem every year, some high end pastry chef's work in refrigerated kitchens. Not sure why they go for the marquee, they would have more control over the heat in a proper studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Sorry to see Lottie go . I thought Laura would go this week
    Thrilled for Hermine though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Laura a little fortunate to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Laura very lucky.
    Does Prue's voice always sound like that? Sounded like she needed to clear her throat today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I'm not surprised to see Lottie going, she acted too much like she didn't care way too often.
    Prue sounds weak, maybe age is catching up with her, leaves me worried that we might see another judge next season, I like her a lot.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Mr E wrote: »
    Just saw on Facebook that Luis Troyano from Season 5 has passed away. RIP. :(

Very sad, he's possibly the nicest contestant that's ever been on Bake Off. RIP

Sorry to see Lottie go this week, she was my favourite on the show because of her sarcasm. I do think it might have been a bit dodgy Noel saying how Laura scraped by each week, as he clearly gets on very well with Lottie. Was he trying to influence the judges a bit, I wonder? I was really disappointed when they said that Dave had saved himself with his showstopper, especially as his first two rounds were far worse than anyone else's. I wouldn't have missed him at all if he'd gone. Star Baker was the right decision, Hermine did really well throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Laura had flavour. Lottie’s must’ve been awful.
    Yeah for Hermine! And so sweet at the end with, I’m guessing, her son.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Zaph wrote: »

Sorry to see Lottie go this week, she was my favourite on the show because of her sarcasm. I do think it might have been a bit dodgy Noel saying how Laura scraped by each week, as he clearly gets on very well with Lottie. Was he trying to influence the judges a bit, I wonder? I was really disappointed when they said that Dave had saved himself with his showstopper, especially as his first two rounds were far worse than anyone else's. I wouldn't have missed him at all if he'd gone. Star Baker was the right decision, Hermine did really well throughout.

Was a bit surprised too by Noel, felt like he was angling for Lottie to stay but that doesn't really seem in his nature. As they judge solely based on the current week its surely irrelevant how Laura struggled in earlier weeks?

Laura will probably be gone next week anyway, going on the preview she looks to be in trouble again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Mr E wrote: »
    Just saw on Facebook that Luis Troyano from Season 5 has passed away. RIP. :(

NO. :( Such a great contestant.

RIP, Luis.

SO happy for Hermine as I thought she was robbed a few weeks back.

I’m glad Laura got to stay, because she just made a mistake. It would be a shame to go for that reason. With Lottie, the cake didn’t look good or taste good so not much you can do with that. Laura’s at least tasted good. HOW do you make blackberry mousse flavourless? Dave was lucky too but again, his Showstopper at least tasted good and didn’t look TOO bad.

I’m VERY impressed with both Peter and Marc’s decorating skills in that heat.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    It really annoys me at this stage, its the same every year. I think the producers must think it adds to the drama or something but its ridiculous and just not fair to the contestants.

Well, the ice cream makers are a new addition, I think, so that helped. And Peter, Marc and Hermine showed that it can be done.

I think AC would make too much noise on set.
    siblers wrote: »
    Was a bit surprised too by Noel, felt like he was angling for Lottie to stay but that doesn't really seem in his nature. As they judge solely based on the current week its surely irrelevant how Laura struggled in earlier weeks?

Laura will probably be gone next week anyway, going on the preview she looks to be in trouble again.

Past performance comes into play when contestants are neck and neck which maybe Noel thought Lottie and Laura were.

It’s been clear for a while now though that the Showstopper is the biggest influence on who stays or goes and Lottie was bottom of the pile, failing on both appearance and taste.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've just finished watching last night's episode there. I was nearly getting sick with the sweat on them, awful to look at and then they wear the same clothes next day. I'm 100% sure they were laundered and were fresh but it still looks gank. I do have an odd thing about rolling sweat though :(

Sorry to see Lottie ago although I think it was the right choice. Earlier in the show I thought it might be Dave but I think he was just saved by the two ladies having a disastrous showstopper. Hermine is doing really well, I like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think they made the right call but Lottie was the only fun contestant left, the rest are all fairly dull tbh. I'm rooting for either Hermine or Marc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭siblers

miamee wrote: »
    I've just finished watching last night's episode there. I was nearly getting sick with the sweat on them, awful to look at and then they wear the same clothes next day. I'm 100% sure they were laundered and were fresh but it still looks gank. I do have an odd thing about rolling sweat though :(

Sorry to see Lottie ago although I think it was the right choice. Earlier in the show I thought it might be Dave but I think he was just saved by the two ladies having a disastrous showstopper. Hermine is doing really well, I like her.

They'd have multiple copies of every outfit for continuity reasons so the clothes for the showstopper would have been a fresh pair

Advertisement