Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great British Bake Off 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

siblers wrote: »
    Why didn't Paul shake Hermine's hand if it was Parisian bakery standard? I think she'll win it out

That pond pudding looked horrendous. Also they got 2.5 hrs for the technical but needed 2 hours to steam it? That challenge was a bit ridiculous really

Gives them 2 and a half hours to do it yet Prue says that one of pond puddings could have done with another hour of steaming

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I hate when they set the bakers up for a failure like they did with the puddings tonight.
    Hermine is excellent.
    I'll miss Mark from the show, he was a fun contestant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It annoyed me that Paul made out that everyone did pretty much even in the Signature round when they were deliberating. That wasn’t the case at all, based on their comments. Peter got very lucky there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Why didn't Paul shake Hermine's hand if it was Parisian bakery standard? I think she'll win it out

That pond pudding looked horrendous. Also they got 2.5 hrs for the technical but needed 2 hours to steam it? That challenge was a bit ridiculous really

I thought maybe it's a covid thing. I'm going to have to try the jelly designs. They are amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Can't help thinking Peter got very lucky there & might have been out if it was an earlier round. That said, it is on balance a better baker than Mark.

Hope he just had a once off bad day. At the moment, it's hard to see anyone by Hermione winning it.

That pond pudding looked absolutely vile, even the ones that they were supposed to look like. How anyone could enjoy eating it baffles me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I thought maybe it's a covid thing. I'm going to have to try the jelly designs. They are amazing

That's true too. There was a handshake or two earlier in the season but maybe he was advised not to do then anymore . Does seem like he won't be giving out any for the rest of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It annoyed me that Paul made out that everyone did pretty much even in the Signature round when they were deliberating. That wasn’t the case at all, based on their comments. Peter got very lucky there.

Yeah. They seem to change how they judge each week. The technical was a write off but the signature had noteable differences in quality. Didn't seem fair to be judged solely on the show stopper. Although Marc's did seem the worst by a good bit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Look at nigella and your Gillian "you are what you eat " one.....they are the same age as far as I can remember....yeah I'll have nigella's diet:D
    Gillian who?

To assemble one isn't that much difficult, esp if you're done it before but who would be bothered making it unless forced to [in the technical challenge] :D

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I'm not over enthusiastic about this year's series. Hermine and Peter are quite good and understand a lot of baking terms that the others don't. When they had to slice strawberries 'wafer thin', one of the bakers, can't remember who, wasn't quite sure about 'wafer' and even pronounced it oddly. And as for the steamed pud, some of them had never covered a steamed pud before, and pleating the greaseproof paper/kitchen foil had some of them flummoxed. But as young as Peter is, he definitely understand the baking terms. For me, its either Peter or Hermine. It really depends what the wizard and witch have thought up for them in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

j@utis wrote: »
    Gillian who?

Gillian McKeith. If you have never heard of her. Try Mr. Google! :)

Gillian McKeith. If you have never heard of her. Try Mr. Google! :)

Thanks! I did Google but there's a lot Gillians out there.

I'm not over enthusiastic about this year's series. Hermine and Peter are quite good and understand a lot of baking terms that the others don't. When they had to slice strawberries 'wafer thin', one of the bakers, can't remember who, wasn't quite sure about 'wafer' and even pronounced it oddly. And as for the steamed pud, some of them had never covered a steamed pud before, and pleating the greaseproof paper/kitchen foil had some of them flummoxed. But as young as Peter is, he definitely understand the baking terms. For me, its either Peter or Hermine. It really depends what the wizard and witch have thought up for them in the next few weeks.

That was Marc - he pronounced it as ‘wah-fer’ but I totally took that as him joking as he had a smile on his face when he was saying it. I don’t believe anyone wouldn’t know what a wafer was.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A few of them were flummoxed with the word 'crescent' as well as part of the direction for decorating one of the bakes recently.

I was sad to see Marc go, I really liked him as a person but I knew it was either himself or Peter going this week. It was tricky oul week for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

That was Mark and his pronunciation was a reference to Monty Python's Mr Creosote sketch. I often make the same reference :D

FunLover18 wrote: »
    That was Mark and his pronunciation was a reference to Monty Python's Mr Creosote sketch. I often make the same reference :D

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of it. I take back what I said, I liked Marc but I didn't think he'd be a contender to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

And as for the steamed pud, some of them had never covered a steamed pud before, and pleating the greaseproof paper/kitchen foil had some of them flummoxed.

I was amazed at that, and even some not knowing what suet pastry was, its not that common but I would expect any baking enthusiast to know what it is. Especially if you were going on the show surely you would do your homework and go over a lot of things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Gillian who?

She was the presenter of the programme "you are what you eat" it was very popular at the time, even if you didn't watch it , it was hard to escape from hearing about it.

miamee wrote: »
    A few of them were flummoxed with the word 'crescent' as well as part of the direction for decorating one of the bakes recently.

I was sad to see Marc go, I really liked him as a person but I knew it was either himself or Peter going this week. It was tricky oul week for them.

Yeah but I’d consider wafer a way more commonplace word. If you’ve eaten a Kit Kat or an ice cream sandwich, you know what a wafer is.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I was amazed at that, and even some not knowing what suet pastry was, its not that common but I would expect any baking enthusiast to know what it is. Especially if you were going on the show surely you would do your homework and go over a lot of things like that.

Aye, I’m a very basic baker and even I’ve made suet dumplings to top stew a few times in my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Gillian who?

The fainting drama queen from I'm a celeb

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How could anything with a whole lemon taking up most of the internal space be anything but disgusting? It would be like cooking with window cleaner. That must have been the worst round ever presented on BakeOff.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,072 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Thargor wrote: »
    How could anything with a whole lemon taking up most of the internal space be anything but disgusting? It would be like cooking with window cleaner. That must have been the worst round ever presented on BakeOff.

I have to say I agree!

There were absolutely no redeeming features to that dessert, even the one (presumably properly) cooked by Prue.

The only steamed pudding I'd even look at would be Christmas pudding (yum, and the source of my knowledge of suet, pleating foil tops and tying a handle!)

Thargor wrote: »

Was the lemon at least peeled? I hope so! Regardless, the juice of one lemon is too much for a small pudding and I say that as somebody who loves lemony baked goods.

They clearly miscalculated the amount of time they gave the contestants for that round too. Nobody did an even halfway decent job and it was mostly because of the puddings being undercooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,072 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Was the lemon at least peeled? I hope so! Regardless, the juice of one lemon is too much for a small pudding and I say that as somebody who loves lemony baked goods.
    Nope, peel and all.

I have no idea what the end product was meant to look or taste like (apart from a soggy beige mess with a brown puddle) - was the lemon meant to disintegrate in the middle, or just impart its flavour during the steaming - do you eat around it, or eat it rind and all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Nope a full lemon...peel and all!! Yuck! They had to prick it to let the juice come out.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Nope, peel and all.

I have no idea what the end product was meant to look or taste like (apart from a soggy beige mess with a brown puddle) - was the lemon meant to disintegrate in the middle, or just impart its flavour during the steaming - do you eat around it, or eat it rind and all?

I know, I was very confused about it and they didn’t really explain it very well.

The steamed pud disaster reminds me of that awful stuff Aquafaba which they had to deal with a couple of years ago, although I think the bakers actually managed that (I tried it but I didn't succeed!). Awful stuff. Why whisk up chickpea juice when you've got EGGS?!! Poor old bakers are merely puppets dancing to Paul and Pru's tune! :( A lot of the stuff last night I wouldn't particularly describe as baking.

I was inspired to bake, regardless! Easy mille-feuile, cheated with store bought pastry :D

aOhH2Bo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Extra slice is on tonight not tomorrow night according to my magazine. Rugby on tomorrow!

Advertisement