Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great British Bake Off 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Ridiculous decision

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What a total swizz!

Hermine was robbed.

Twitter is on fire!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Weird choice for elimination, she should have been able to sit this one out and still coast into the final based on past performances, especially compared to blonde woman whos name I cant remember...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Twitter is on fire!!!

When is it not? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Last few years there's been controversial cases of people with awful weeks being saved on past performance rather than actual performance. This seems like they're trying to stop that but its really, really, really arguable if Hermine even had a worse week than Laura anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Hermine's show stopper must have been very bad. Laura seems to finish second last in every episode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

L1011 wrote: »
    Last few years there's been controversial cases of people with awful weeks being saved on past performance rather than actual performance. This seems like they're trying to stop that but its really, really, really arguable if Hermine even had a worse week than Laura anyway.

This is the thing, it reeeally seemed like even if this was the first week, Laura would be certainly going home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gardesana Pecher

Laura must be a relative of a producer or something.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

2020 has gone too far this time messing with GBBO :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's Peter's to lose now. I know in the trailer they said that it was the closest final ever, but I think Hermine is the only contestant who could seriously give him a run for his money. Dave is inconsistent and Laura makes what appear to be great tasting train wrecks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

Laura manages to produce stuff that tastes good and looks bad and I think they must value taste more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭appledrop

Ffs that's ridiculous.

Laura has been in bottom 2 for about last 4 weeks + she scraps through yet again.

Yes Hermine had a bad week but as they said earlier also only one star baker twice!

Laura will be crap again in final but Hermine could have put bad week behind her + it would have been a very good final.

Really pissed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

appledrop wrote: »
    Ffs that's ridiculous.

Laura has been in bottom 2 for about last 4 weeks + she scraps through yet again.

Yes Hermine had a bad week but as they said earlier also only one star baker twice!

Laura will be crap again in final but Hermine could have put bad week behind her + it would have been a very good final.

Really pissed off.

Hermine deserved to be in final ahead of Laura who just about scraped through on several occasions. Barring one of the lads having a disaster I think she will come last of the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Well that was frustrating!
    I’m so disappointed for Hermine, she was robbed of a handshake last week and this week I knew when they commented on the taste being poor that she was gone, as Laura's was once again a big fat mess but tasted good. They say it’s based on the week’s performance but when it suits them they take past performance in to account. Really feels like meddling at this stage, reduced time to bake stuff and ice cream and chocolate on hottest days in the tent.
    And while she does seem nice and obvious her bakes must taste nice, Laura's messiness makes me gag, one minute she’s wiping tears away and then mauling her bakes, mess everywhere, I really wouldn’t fancy tasting her bakes.

Hopefully Peter keeps up his return to form, although I can see Dave has loosened up a bit and delighted he seems to be coming in to his own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What a joke... It should have been between Peter and hermine in the final. Ridiculous! So annoyed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

This guess has aged poorly! Her showstopper was like a dirty protest!

She’s in the final!

Generally all the finalists are very good every year but Laura is not good enough to be a finalist and that’s the first time I’ve ever thought that of a finalist on this show. Unlucky for Hermine that by the rules of the show, she had to go.

Peter’s cockiness annoyed me tonight.

I've never been as mad at the Bake Off :eek:
    PsychoPete wrote: »
    Ridiculous decision
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What a total swizz!

Hermine was robbed.

Twitter is on fire!!!

The thing is, it’s always been a “worst on the week” way of judging on GBBO. If it’s neck and neck, they look back at previous weeks. But this week, it wasn’t neck and neck. Hermine was the worst overall.

Hermine did the worst in the first round, Laura in the second and Hermine in the Showstopper. It’s not good if your cake is like a rubber ball. Her showstopper looked as bad as Laura’s and was worse, texture- and taste-wise.

The way of judging is not without its flaws but for as long as I’ve watched this show, they’ve been open about how they decide. If it was cumulative judging, the winner would probably be apparent well before the end of the show.
    L1011 wrote: »

I don’t think so. It was pretty clear to me that Hermine did worse this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Mixed feelings on this one. Think it was the right decision if it's a knockout out. Hermine was the worst this week but probably the best baker over the entire series if you exclude this eposide.

From the very beginning, she didn't seem usual self and it really was a bad day. The rubber brown cubes looked vile. Still think it would be a better final with her in it and some of her bakes in previous weeks were amazing.

I like Laura but find it frustrating that she has been continually told week after week that her presentation keeps letting her down but never showed any sign of trying to improve it or take greater care in terms of detail.

I think I've misjudged Dave. Now his confidence has grown, he appears human and likeable. Think maybe he just holds himself to a very high standard and come off as aloof or arrogant as a result. His cubes looked very appetizing.

Glad Peter has bounced back. His cubes were fabulous and are some of my favourite flavours, really would love a taste. I think it will be a complete injustice if he doesn't win but after this week who knows what way it will turn out.

Well, here’s to Hermine who said my favourite thing from this year’s series:

F0-E2708-C-CECE-4-DF4-B6-C7-4-F00-A274962-C.jpg?dl=1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Laura handed up raw dough in the technical :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

The judges keep having to tell us how good the contestants are, because it’s really not obvious from their offerings!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I'm gutted here too, I can't remember any decent looking Laura's bakes, it's more than often just a sloppy mess on the plate, it might taste amazing but you can't tell that just from looking at it. And her station is a disgrace after every bake, like yesterday she poured chocolate glaze over everything on her table, yikes.
    I think Peter approach of cutting cake into the squares instead of moulding it was much smarter because they weren't given enough time to freeze them solid before glazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

I think someone else has said it but i kind of went off Peter this week. i thought he was very cocky and maybe i imagined it but i thought i saw a smirk when Hermine crashed and burned? Laura's sniveling is getting to me now. Its every week and she gets away with it. Snot and tears must be what makes her bakes taste so good!!
    Probably an unpopular choice but i want Dave to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

I know feck all about baking (though I enjoy the show) and even I wouldn't touch those silicone molds, whenever you see someone using them in the tent you know it's going to end in disaster! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

j@utis wrote: »
    I'm gutted here too, I can't remember any decent looking Laura's bakes, it's more than often just a sloppy mess on the plate, it might taste amazing but you can't tell that just from looking at it. And her station is a disgrace after every bake, like yesterday she poured chocolate glaze over everything on her table, yikes.
    I think Peter approach of cutting cake into the squares instead of moulding it was much smarter because they weren't given enough time to freeze them solid before glazing.

This.
    The mess, everywhere, every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Laura to win next week to complete the redemption story

guarantee it will be 3 rounds that she knocks out perfectly

bit predictable at this point, she had 2 dreadful rounds this week in terms of looks (when hollywood spent all his time saying it was about the look)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I suppose if they are judging each contestant solely on each week then Hermine probably deserved to go. It looks like the show stopper is weighed very heavily in terms of judging and Hermine's show stopper was dreadful.

I guess it's a harsh way of judging but I guess people are only as good as their last bake.

ChannelNo5 wrote: »
    I think someone else has said it but i kind of went off Peter this week. i thought he was very cocky and maybe i imagined it but i thought i saw a smirk when Hermine crashed and burned? Laura's sniveling is getting to me now. Its every week and she gets away with it. Snot and tears must be what makes her bakes taste so good!!
    Probably an unpopular choice but i want Dave to win.

I want Dave to win too. But I liked him from the start actually.

Peter’s cockiness annoyed me: “It’s not perfection but it’s damn near close” and “I think I have a great shot at Star Baker”.
    Laura handed up raw dough in the technical :cool:

Yeah, she did the worst in the technical, but Hermine did the worst in the other two rounds and for some reason, the technical seems to count for less than the other rounds. Probably because they practise the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭boccy23

I want Dave to win too. But I liked him from the start actually.

Peter’s cockiness annoyed me: “It’s not perfection but it’s damn near close” and “I think I have a great shot at Star Baker”.

Yeah, she did the worst in the technical, but Hermine did the worst in the other two rounds and for some reason, the technical seems to count for less than the other rounds. Probably because they practise the other two.

I called Hermine to be the one to leave when she said that she had changed her mind the day before and was not working from a real recipe. For a showstopper to not have it at least practiced and perfected at home could only lead to a disaster. As someone said earlier, it was like her heart wasn't in it. Maybe too much of living in a bubble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

siblers wrote: »
    I suppose if they are judging each contestant solely on each week then Hermine probably deserved to go. It looks like the show stopper is weighed very heavily in terms of judging and Hermine's show stopper was dreadful.

I guess it's a harsh way of judging but I guess people are only as good as their last bake.

Agree, but by the same rationale, Peter should have gone the week before.

Looks set up for Peter to win now.

Advertisement