Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I’ve been fairly absent here lately.

Work had been killing me with so many extra demands lately and it’s really knocked the festive feeling out of me.

I found it hard to even post in here for fear of bringing the mood down or putting on a fake smile and getting on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    I’ve been fairly absent here lately.

Work had been killing me with so many extra demands lately and it’s really knocked the festive feeling out of me.

I found it hard to even post in here for fear of bringing the mood down or putting on a fake smile and getting on with it.

Ah here, thats nonsense talk. All the times people have posted here feeling down or miserable or feeling a myriad of things that leave you feeling anything but festive and posters such as your good self have been front and centre in telling them that that's okay to not feel great and not to feel under pressure to be feeling positive all the time. So as far as I'm concerned there's no way you should feel any different to any one of us who've been struggling now or previously and to post away without worry. We're all here to help so if you need to upload or vent, fire away. The flip side is that if you need some time away that's cool too, we'll all be here to welcome you back when you get your Christmas mojo back!!

Either way, take care!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

+1 Loughc, practice what you preach. :p

Work has been pretty brutal for me too- we are only back up to nearly full staffing levels in the last week or so since a whopper outbreak of covid that forced us to shut up shop last month.

Was wrecked today at work, and even though it was an uncharacteristically quiet day, I felt like I didn't really get anything done or caught up on because I was busy trying not to lapse into a coma!
    To add insult to injury, it also turns out that I emailed a department incorrect information a few months ago that had (some, not too terrible) consequences today, but succeeded in making me feel tired and incompetent. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm just jealous of all your work posts, even the stressful ones. Have a couple of interviews this week so fingers crossed.

Sending love and hugs to you both, a previous job led to me ending up in critical cardiac care in the hospital so I know so about how work stresses can get to you. Mind yourselves xxx

Everything crossed for you, Caranica!!

To be fair, I've been in work every day, seeing my colleagues, having the chats, eating together in the canteen etc... so although it's been hard (the early days where I went from being crammed onto jam-packed public transport to being the only passenger on the bus on an empty road was tough going) it's also been very normal, in that my social circle didn't diminish a crazy amount.
    My work buddies went out for (mandatory!) food and drinks a couple of times once it was allowed last summer, cocktails the day before Dublin went back to level 5 and we got to have a (distanced) secret santa celebratory breakfast together at Christmas.

It's hard to forget sometimes to appreciate being able to talk about books you're reading or what Netflix shows you are binging with actual real people face-to-face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Everything crossed for you Caranica also.

It put's a lot of perspective on it. I am in the same boat as Loughc, haven't been posting due to work stress. Your post has put a spin on it and reminded me of how lucky I am. This place rocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭nightie

Jude13 wrote: »
    Everything crossed for you Caranica also.

It put's a lot of perspective on it. I am in the same boat as Loughc, haven't been posting due to work stress. Your post has put a spin on it and reminded me of how lucky I am. This place rocks.

Fully agree. I think that I need to stick to the Christmas forum. I’m a softie and take things to heart. Cut down on my Boards visits last week going out of my way to avoid the horse photo and just when I thought I had managed that, someone posted it. No doubt this week Meghan and Harry will be centre stage in social media land. This place is always gentle and kind. Hope everyone has a good day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Sorry to hear other are finding work stressful (good luck Caranica with the interviews).

I find here is one of the best places to come if things are getting on top of you. Life can be really tough at times and we all need ways to hit that release valve and come away feeling a bit better. I would hope that no one ever feels they can't/shouldn't post for fear of dragging the mood down or any other reason.

My PM's are always open and I'm a good listener (get lots of practice with the OH:D)

Gordon Elliott and Meghan Markle will be added to the list of banned topics. :D

Posy wrote: »
    Gordon Elliott and Meghan Markle will be added to the list of banned topics. :D

Definitely!!

• Advertisement

Feel the pain on the work stress, was sat at my PC here from 7.30am - 10.30pm yesterday & facing into the same for the rest of the week unfortunately, though I did manage to make the out of hours go faster by getting back to my christmas podcasts that I had been neglecting since November & they really cheered me up, the late hours didnt feel so bad having that on in the background & not having to worry about pasuing for phone or zoom calls!!

Its terrible Tuesday, but I'm not gonna overthink it & just gonna get through the day whatever way I can, more podcasts later on though!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Podcast republic is messing up on my phone, Qing podcasts for downloads but not downloading. What do you elves use?

I've a deliverable for this Thursday, then some breathing room. I have a lot of politics going on, resignations, HR investigations (not in to me), in addition to the standard work day.

DvB wrote: »
    Feel the pain on the work stress, was sat at my PC here from 7.30am - 10.30pm yesterday & facing into the same for the rest of the week unfortunately, though I did manage to make the out of hours go faster by getting back to my christmas podcasts that I had been neglecting since November & they really cheered me up, the late hours didnt feel so bad having that on in the background & not having to worry about pasuing for phone or zoom calls!!

Its terrible Tuesday, but I'm not gonna overthink it & just gonna get through the day whatever way I can, more podcasts later on though!!

Keep the faith buddy, will be the weekend again before you know it!

Podcast republic is messing up on my phone, Qing podcasts for downloads but not downloading. What do you elves use?

I've a deliverable for this Thursday, then some breathing room. I have a lot of politics going on, resignations, HR investigations (not in to me), in addition to the standard work day.

Using spotify mostly myself.

& podbean for tinsel tunes & Merry Britsmas (but am up to date on that one, & the last couple haven't been great anyway)

TRS30 wrote: »
    Keep the faith buddy, will be the weekend again before you know it!

Weeks are going at a fair oul lick alright.... just want to get to Paddys day as I'm taking the Thursday & Friday off as well for a 5 day break. Not that its been that long (10 weeks i think) but haven't missed a day since going back to work after christmas & with all the deadlines & 60 & 70 hour weeks really need the downtime. Just hope the weather behaves so I can get out a tad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Christmas seems so long ago now but it was a wonderful time being able to catch up with my family, relatives and lots of my friends who I had not seen in ages. The memories of those occasions back in December keep me going.

Hopefully we won't have long now before we can have the good times again...there seems to be light at the end of the covid tunnel...

DvB wrote: »
    Weeks are going at a fair oul lick alright.... just want to get to Paddys day as I'm taking the Thursday & Friday off as well for a 5 day break. Not that its been that long (10 weeks i think) but haven't missed a day since going back to work after christmas & with all the deadlines & 60 & 70 hour weeks really need the downtime. Just hope the weather behaves so I can get out a tad.

Have those two days off as well. Are carried over leave from last year as well so feel like 'free' days off!

The period from New Years to Paddys is always a struggle as no bank holidays etc. I did have a couple of days off however was to home school so not really time off!!

Really looking forward to the mini break. Obviously can't go anywhere however sticking the laptop in the drawer for a few days will be nice.

We have been looking at taking an extended break in Ireland this summer (hoping the vaccines will all be rolled out etc) but air bnb seems to be booked out. Everyone is either staying at home or they are showing them as booked out due to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

We have been looking at taking an extended break in Ireland this summer (hoping the vaccines will all be rolled out etc) but air bnb seems to be booked out. Everyone is either staying at home or they are showing them as booked out due to covid.

The government said in January that people traveling for holidays this year was very unlikely so some people went crazy trying to book places here. I know my sister recently tried to get something for the kids' summer holidays and everywhere was booked out. They eventually got somewhere for the June bank holiday weekend and will just do days out from home in the holidays.

It's a mince pie in the sky planning anyway with the two weeks quarantine. It just nice to look at a holiday! (even though it will be in Ireland not somewhere sunny)

• Advertisement

We accepted that foreign travel wasnt going to happen in 2021 so looked at booking a few days down the west for July or August, similar to what we had done last summer as we had enjoyed that break to be fair (we got fantastic weather for it which helped massively) but were shocked at a) how little was available & b) the cost of what was... ended up getting the same hotel as last year as we rang them & got a good deal rather than booking online. From talking to friends they were in the same boat & really struggled to source anything reasonable. So it seems anyone looking to holiday in Ireland this summer is going to pay well for it, if they can get anything at all. I wouldn't mind so much if we knew we'd get decent weather but we're as likely (if not more) to get lashing rain & temperatures in the 12-16 range as we are sun & a bit of warm weather.

At this stage if I can get to eat out & have a pint it'll be enough though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh guys I'm sorry to hear people are having a tough time and that work is manic for some.
    My husband is the exact same. Work is hectic. Our little man isn't sleeping well at all so it's been a tough couple of weeks here too.
    Hopefully there's a positive turning point for everyone soon.
    I think the longer this all goes on the more weary we are becoming. It's completely understandable and all we can do is support our little Christmas family here :) Hope everyone has a lovely Tuesday :)

We booked an AirBnB for a week in July. Decided to go a bit different then normal (we usually go somewhere near the sea- even though we live right beside it!!) and are going to Tipp. House looks nice and great garden for the kids. We booked it a few weeks ago as reckon it would be tough to get something decent for July/August.

As DvB said a bit of nice weather so can get out and about would be nice however will make the best of it whatever it's like.

Weary is such a good description of how I'm feeling today. The weather is gloomy out my way for the last few days, and I've not had time to get out for walks. My energy levels have dropped a lot, and I can see it at work too that while we're all trying to keep positive, everyone is worn out.

I'm sure I'm not alone in dreaming about being on some exotic beach, relaxing in the sunshine :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Almost into the 280s making a good dent into the 200’s already.

A plus side to being busy, time flies.

I would take 12-16 degrees compared to a summer of 45+ degrees. The normal plan is that the family go home for the summer, she's a teacher, as its oppressively hot here and not much can be done outside. I used this time to fly to places I hate going for work and spend four nights away each week. Then at the end of the summer I meet them either in Ireland or Europe somewhere. Now there is no traveling on the cards for me so I may as well go home and work remotely.

Can't believe we're in to the 200's.

I would take 12-16 degrees compared to a summer of 45+ degrees. The normal plan is that the family go home for the summer, she's a teacher, as its oppressively hot here and not much can be done outside. I used this time to fly to places I hate going for work and spend four nights away each week. Then at the end of the summer I meet them either in Ireland or Europe somewhere. Now there is no traveling on the cards for me so I may as well go home and work remotely.

Can understand wanting to avoid a 45 degree summer. I worked on a cleanroom facility in Israel years back during July & August, and apart from the IDF causing us grief everyday the heat was unbearable. Have been to Seville before on holiday when it reached 46 degrees for a few days and that was hard to take and only lasted a few days, weeks of heat like that would be so oppressive I can almost forgive the want of a wet and miserable irish summer :D

I'd be similar would take the cold over the hot any day.

I remember being in Washington DC during the summer many moons ago and the temperature hitting low/mid 40's a few days in a row. However it was the humidity that really got to me. You'd be sweating just standing outside even in the shade.

I actually got a cold as was going from air con in the house, car, shops etc!!

TRS30 wrote: »
    I'd be similar would take the cold over the hot any day.

I remember being in Washington DC during the summer many moons ago and the temperature hitting low/mid 40's a few days in a row. However it was the humidity that really got to me. You'd be sweating just standing outside even in the shade.

I actually got a cold as was going from air con in the house, car, shops etc!!

Had that in Asia, the humidity was a real killer, the heat was only high 30's (only eh!!:pac:) but the humidity was fierce, especially at night. Whatever clothes you were wearing leaving the (air conditioned) hotel would be saturated with sweat in a couple of minutes after leaving. I left the pale blue shirts & t-shirts in the suitcase for the remainder of the trip & bought new black ones instead to hide the delightful sweat patches. The funny thing was when we left the city & travelled around the humidity was nowhere near as bad, that or we just got used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,218 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We're into the 280's!

Advertisement