Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I was 11 when I was officially told by my mam, I remember feeling so sad, but I was lucky that I had younger siblings and my mam asked me to help Santa set up on Christmas eve. I loved it.

My parents still talk about when one of my siblings started having doubts, they were quite young at the time. They had been found searching around the house a couple of times, and asking not so subtle questions.
    My parents arranged for some elves to help out and they pulled off a bit of magic on Christmas eve. It was brilliant what they did, and my sibling was left without any doubt that it was all real. There was a huge risk that my sibling would catch one of the elves but what they thought they saw only added more to the magic.
    Fairly sure the elves were all having palpitations and still remember the trauma of almost being chased by my sibling :D

My favorite Christmas belief story (and I'm being biased) was when one of my nephews was having doubts so he did his letter to Santa as normal gave it to his parents to post to the North pole for him.

Then weeks later his Mam found another letter hidden in his wardrobe going Santa if you are real you'll know that I really want this for Christmas... and it was a completely different list than what he gave his parents. Thankfully they hadn't started his present shopping yest so they were quickly able to switch it all.

Apparently on Christmas morning he was left speechless when he realized that Santa MUST be real as he found his real list.

Loughc wrote: »
    My favorite Christmas belief story (and I'm being biased) was when one of my nephews was having doubts so he did his letter to Santa as normal gave it to his parents to post to the North pole for him.

Then weeks later his Mam found another letter hidden in his wardrobe going Santa if you are real you'll know that I really want this for Christmas... and it was a completely different list than what he gave his parents. Thankfully they hadn't started his present shopping yest so they were quickly able to switch it all.

Apparently on Christmas morning he was left speechless when he realized that Santa MUST be real as he found his real list.

I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

What a save by the parents. I remember not getting what I wanted from santa and being told it was to ensure that santa had enough to give all kids something. We had my and my brothers shared bedroom and the living room carpeted and lino in the kitchen, all other rooms were without finishes for years. Our folks would tell us that santa had a budget of X. Seemed completely normal to me but would have been tough for the folks when we moaned.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jude13 wrote: »
    What a save by the parents.

That was the Irish mammy coming out in my Sister-In-law, some say an Irish mammy can sniff out an unopened letter from 10 miles away....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

and ironically an unexplained phobia of stamps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

SarahLil wrote: »
    Anyone do Christmas afternoon tea in the run up to Christmas ?
    I have... I love heading in with my bestie soaking up the atmosphere in town last minute gift shopping then heading for a lovely afternoon tea, last year we went the Westin it was decorated beautifully and a choir appeared later in the day for Carols
    Thanks for your post, it brought back memories of a lovely Christmas afternoon tea I had at the Gresham in the either the late 90s or early 00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

I just went to smyths to get a few stocking fillers just in case shops will be closed. Turns out everyone had the same idea. Got to the car park saw the queue and turned around.. was crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,166 ✭✭✭✭DvB

DvB wrote: »
    I have to say that (even as someone involved with the organisation, albeit at the v. bottom) that the GAA's handling of this has been appalling. The amount of county finals that have shown people in the stands not wearing masks, not socially distancing is totally unacceptable. By all accounts let 200 people in, but spread them out, dont let them sit in one big cluster in front of a tv camera, its basically asking for criticism.

Someone in the GAA hierarchy must be a secret elf... they just annunced that all club games have been suspended for pretty much exactly what I had written in my earlier post above. That & the crazy celebrations afterwards by winning teams.
    All about saving the championship as even behind closed doors thats a huge moneyspinner that the GAA wont want to lose.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Lads the panic buying on toys in Smyths at the moment is actually shameful, the government won't agree to a level 5 lockdown no way. Retail will need to remain open this is as bad as the time the toilet roll got pillaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,290 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Lads the panic buying on toys in Smyths at the moment is actually shameful, the government won't agree to a level 5 lockdown no way. Retail will need to remain open this is as bad as the time the toilet roll got pillaged.

I think people are afraid to be honest. Especially with Dr Tony being back. I think people get the supermarkets are fine but they are worried about the non essential shops.

I'd also wonder will shops stock a lot of Christmas stock if they are worried they might be closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,166 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Agree. This is scaremongering at its worst. That 'leak' last night has a lot to answer for.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Was just over in the Pavillions in Swords and was very quiet. My OH did comment though that Children's Allowance is tomorrow so will probably be a lot busier.
    DvB wrote: »
    Agree. This is scaremongering at its worst. That 'leak' last night has a lot to answer for.

Was saying just that on a work call earlier. This kite flying to prepare people is starting to ware thin at this stage!

The Smyth's Catalogue from the year 2001!
    120756738_3739558556083881_8742952616769261115_n.png?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=AmJc1vLNZ0kAX9vHW_2&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=19b09a44c382340609bbb498bbc78edc&oe=5FA0966D

Level 5 lockdown rejected as expected by the government. Now the panic buying can stop :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The kids around here generally find out later than their counterparts in more urban areas. Elf here is 8 and still fully starry eyed, and will hopefully get another couple of years out of it.

Last year a kid in school went around telling kids and a text went out by midday to warn all the parents. One of the mammies had a great save for her lot so I just repeated the same to my lad and all was well.

Level 5 lockdown rejected as expected by the government. Now the panic buying can stop :)

I feel sorry for the people living in counties with very little shops!

I feel sorry for the people living in counties with very little shops!

Why's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I fear it just kicking the can down the road. We have to go to level 5 in November or December if the government have gotten this wrong.....

Why's that?

I live in Cork county if I go the city I can got to almost any shop.
    However if I lived in Roscommon, Leitrim, etc you’d have far less places to choose from.
    If that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

However if I lived in Roscommon, Leitrim, etc you’d have far less places to choose from.
    If that makes sense.

I understand your thinking but those counties have plenty of shops too :)

In fact, sometimes the less choice you have, the easier the shopping is. I also find you tend to support smaller local businesses in these places, which I think everyone is keen to do this Christmas.

• Advertisement

If that makes sense.

I can verify this :)

wes wrote: »
    I fear it just kicking the can down the road. We have to go to level 5 in November or December if the government have gotten this wrong.....

Lockdowns don't work and only cripple the economy the minute everything opens back up cases go back up. We need to keep businesses open and going.
    If that makes sense.

But can people not make a day of it and go somewhere else to shop if there isn't enough in the town they live? That's what I did growing up.

But can people not make a day of it and go somewhere else to shop if there isn't enough in the town they live? That's what I did growing up.

If your locked into your county you can’t really.

If your locked into your county you can’t really.

Lockdown has been rejected though?

The big grocery shop we go to is in a different county so if we were to go from level 2 into level 3, we'd have to travel further than normal to stay within our county. It would just make it awkward :)
    Generally we don't actually mind, but it can be a pain if one shop doesn't have something, and you've to travel to the next village or town to see if they have it. For example, I still haven't been able to get the orange buttons :(

I must be mistaken then. I was under the impression level three meant you couldn’t leave your own county.
    I’d know if I was stuck in some counties I couldn’t access the shops I’d like to visit for Christmas!

The big grocery shop we go to is in a different county so if we were to go from level 2 into level 3, we'd have to travel further than normal to stay within our county. It would just make it awkward :)
    Generally we don't actually mind, but it can be a pain if one shop doesn't have something, and you've to travel to the next village or town to see if they have it. For example, I still haven't been able to get the orange buttons :(

Grocery shopping is an essential so travel to a different county even in level 3 is allowed for that.

I must be mistaken then. I was under the impression level three meant you couldn’t leave your own county.
    I’d know if I was stuck in some counties I couldn’t access the shops I’d like to visit for Christmas!

No you're spot on about Level 3 but essential journeys allowed for work, school,etc some shops would be considered essential journeys as well but I know what you mean.

No you're spot on about Level 3 but essential journeys allowed for work, school,etc some shops would be considered essential journeys as well but I know what you mean.

I think an essential journey should include shopping for Christmas Decorations!

• Advertisement

I think an essential journey should include shopping for Christmas Decorations!

As do I! :D

Advertisement