Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,981 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Got my first kinder santa yesterday

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

In Woodies, they have all the trees on display while they build out the actual Xmas section .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I bought a lot of Christmas gift boxes in Flying Tiger today. Last years stock so only 50 cent each. Good sizes too. Starting to see quite a bit of stuff in the shops now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Sweets, biscuits, mince pies and cakes in M&S ..... some Advent Calanders too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

So glad I discovered the Christmas forum! It's really cheering me up these past few days. It's such a positive space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Took me a long time time to get through the posts, the forum is alive!

Welcome back H!

We have an big wooden advent calendar, last year we put a christmas film in each door, as select few saved for Christmas week and the rest rando, with great intentions as we watched about 4 of them. Looking forward to breaking it out this year.

Took me a long time time to get through the posts, the forum is alive!

Welcome back H!

We have an big wooden advent calendar, last year we put a Christmas film in each door, as select few saved for Christmas week and the rest rando, with great intentions as we watched about 4 of them. Looking forward to breaking it out this year.

Having trouble with the board today.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Maybe this is already posted but for the Coffee Lovers out there,

https://www.delish.com/uk/food-news/a29484480/costa-christmas-menu/

Costa announce their Festive Drinks Menu

Having trouble with the board today.

Me too. Boards is broken today:confused:

Thanks Loughc. I can never see to get those quotes right when I try to reduce the size of the message I am quoting. The Thank You button seems to be disappearing randomly now too. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Thanks Loughc. I can never see to get those quotes right when I try to reduce the size of the message I am quoting. The Thank You button seems to be disappearing randomly now too. Cheers

I don’t think boards is having a good Sunday :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

No, the whole site has gone a bit mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Posy wrote: »
    No, the whole site has gone a bit mad!

Seems to be happening almost every weekend now :'(

Have started picking up Christmas bits, decorations, chocolates and presents. It's scary that it's so close as I've been out of work for 7 months now and I really need to get a job.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Christmas tins in Lidl tomorrow...some other kitchen stuff too

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/get-baking-this-winter/christmas-tin-set/p50918

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In three weeks time it will be the first day of Winter/Old time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Got a few more presents in this weekend, noticeable increase in people in town yesterday.

NPHET just recommended level 5 and Utd was slaughtered by Spurs so not a great Sunday so far!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

kitten_k wrote: »
    Got a few more presents in this weekend, noticeable increase in people in town yesterday.

NPHET just recommended level 5 and Utd was slaughtered by Spurs so not a great Sunday so far!!

Liverpool fan myself. So not much better Sunday.

Level 5 lockdown will be a disaster but with the number of cases and lack of hospital beds and flu season coming who can blame them.

Loughc wrote: »
    Liverpool fan myself. So not much better Sunday.

Level 5 lockdown will be a disaster but with the number of cases and lack of hospital beds and flu season coming who can blame them.

Aye. I'd prefer something now than have Christmas ruined.

Went for a 5am walk with the madra and it was very Christmasy, dark, so quiet, and some back gardens with twinkly lights which I am taking as a sign.

We had over 1,200 cases in one day here (Population approx 9m), lockdown is imminent.

My chritsmas sweets order is staring down on me from the top of the open shelving unit in the kitchen. I must put it under the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,192 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Think its a jump too far too soon myself & will bode poorly for NPHET, there's absolutely no justification for a full country wide lock down as the hospital figures just aren't there to support it. I have a feeling until now government were afraid to go against NPHET's recommendations but with this will push back as socially & economically its a bullet to the head, the thing is I suspect such a dramatic suggestion will make it easier now for the government to say 'no' to them in the future too.
    Anyway, lockdowns don't work, as soon as they're lifted the cases increase and we cant stay in one forever. The real mistake here was not using the lull in June/July to reinforce the hospital capacity, that is an inaction that will come back to bite us all I suspect.

Anyway, enough covid 19, I came in here for some cheering up and christmas chat.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    Think its a jump too far too soon myself & will bode poorly for NPHET, there's absolutely no justification for a full country wide lock down as the hospital figures just aren't there to support it. I have a feeling until now government were afraid to go against NPHET's recommendations but with this will push back as socially & economically its a bullet to the head, the thing is I suspect such a dramatic suggestion will make it easier now for the government to say 'no' to them in the future too.
    Anyway, lockdowns don't work, as soon as they're lifted the cases increase and we cant stay in one forever. The real mistake here was not using the lull in June/July to reinforce the hospital capacity, that is an inaction that will come back to bite us all I suspect.

Anyway, enough covid 19, I came in here for some cheering up and christmas chat.

Just to add to this quickly. NPHET have played a blinder here. The government are of course going to reject their proposal but will compromise on maybe going to level 3 across the board and level 4 for Dublin and other high risk counties.

What it also does by leaking the info to the public it might make people wake up in the sense people are being too lax at the moment and nobody wants a level 5 lockdown and if it all goes tits up NPHET can turn around and go we warned ye.

I 100% agree with the mistake was made not increasing hospital capacity. The scary thing here is last year during flu season at peak 600 people were on trollies this was WITHOUT Covid. I can see NPHET’s concern as in we need to get ahead of it now and not November/December.

Also when will they all wake up and realise pubs/restaurants are not the problem and the cases have increased since sports training and schools reopened.

Also when will they all wake up and realise pubs/restaurants are not the problem and the cases have increased since sports training and schools reopened.

I have to say that (even as someone involved with the organisation, albeit at the v. bottom) that the GAA's handling of this has been appalling. The amount of county finals that have shown people in the stands not wearing masks, not socially distancing is totally unacceptable. By all accounts let 200 people in, but spread them out, dont let them sit in one big cluster in front of a tv camera, its basically asking for criticism.

Both the LOI & Rugby have done this by the book and to my knowledge have had no cases associated with either code, but theres been plenty of cases generated from GAA games & post game celebrations & the fact the GAA have turned a blind eye to this is a disgrace.

I agree re: the level 5 being sought knowing full well they'd get 4 at best was a strategy, but I disagree that this was NPHET playing a blinder, I suspect this will simply see them lose the respect of more people at a time when it was crucial that optics & communication were on point. This definitely could have been handled better IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Had a mixed Christmas day yesterday.

With the day that was in it, we decided to take down all the Christmas jumpers, PJ's, oneies etc to see what still fit who etc. Kids had a blast trying on the stuff and really got into it so put some kids Christmas songs on and we had a good sing along :)

Was going so well till talking to my brother later on and something came up about Christmas and he said my nephew was asking questions about Santa and he is only 8, he is pretty sure he doesn't believe anymore :(

Elf1 is 6 so potentially only 2 more years with her. Made me sad :(

TRS30 wrote: »

With the day that was in it, we decided to take down all the Christmas jumpers, PJ's, oneies etc to see what still fit who etc. Kids had a blast trying on the stuff and really got into it so put some kids Christmas songs on and we had a good sing along :)

Was going so well till talking to my brother later on and something came up about Christmas and he said my nephew was asking questions about Santa and he is only 8, he is pretty sure he doesn't believe anymore :(

Our 2 are 9 (both turn 10 in January) and had already told us after going to causey farm last year, that despite enjoying it thought they were too old for those things & didnt want to bother his year, covid stepped in & made sure that wouldnt happen anyway, but we've had numerous questions throughout the year, most based on what their classmates had been saying to them so whilst we still think they have a belief of sorts, its definitely dissipating & suspect by next year will be done... always dreaded that day as the last 8/9 years have been so much fun, but hey, we'll just have to find other ways to keep the magic alive at Christmas, nothing lasts forever as they say & its not like I'm gonna stop being a Christmas nut :D

TRS30 wrote: »

I was 9/10 when I stopped believing.

I think I was 9 when the doubt crept in but I half refused to believe it and then 10 I completely stopped :(

It is sad you don't get too long with the belief years from when they can comprehend it to stop believing.

I was 9/10 when I stopped believing.

I think I was 9 when the doubt crept in but I half refused to believe it and then 10 I completely stopped :(

It is sad you don't get too long with the belief years from when they can comprehend it to stop believing.

Vaguely remember being about the same age when I stopped too. Might have had one year with doubts but by the following year had lost all belief completely.

I suspect nowadays many kids, especially those with older siblings lose it even earlier. We were amazed at them coming from from school from 6 & 7 & making bold statements that such & such said Santa wasnt real & they'd had to argue with them about it. So sad. Theres only so many 'innocent' years & i hate seeing other kids dying to spoil it for others.

The eldest elf was told at 8, I think, by a classmate. It was not a good time. She is 13 next year and we still play the game our our youngest is copping on at 21 months so we want to keep the magic alive. She doesn't get it yet but I am very excited to have Santa in the house again.

On a more positive note, boards is running smooth this morning.

I was 11 when I was officially told by my mam, I remember feeling so sad, but I was lucky that I had younger siblings and my mam asked me to help Santa set up on Christmas eve. I loved it.

My parents still talk about when one of my siblings started having doubts, they were quite young at the time. They had been found searching around the house a couple of times, and asking not so subtle questions.
    My parents arranged for some elves to help out and they pulled off a bit of magic on Christmas eve. It was brilliant what they did, and my sibling was left without any doubt that it was all real. There was a huge risk that my sibling would catch one of the elves but what they thought they saw only added more to the magic.
    Fairly sure the elves were all having palpitations and still remember the trauma of almost being chased by my sibling :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Christmas can be a very tough time of year for many people, it's all well and good people saying oh lockdown now its looking very bad? Have we weighed up how bad a lockdown will actually be on peoples mental health and non covid illnesses and of those that will lose jobs and business going bust etc. Lets face it a lockdown will just stall things it doesn't stop anything, we need to live with it and choose as individual's what we would like to risk, for example If I decide to a restaurant its at my own risk, and if my parents want me to visit knowing I going about as normal then its their choice if they want me to call or not.

Christmas is a massive opportunity for local business to get some recovery from what's has been a nightmare year, If we lose local business and the tax take that goes with it then our economy goes in the gutter making it even harder to spend money in our health system, education etc.

Advertisement