Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I had assumed that a lot of the Santa trips/experiences would be cancelled this year but decided to look at Palmerston House last week. We've gone there the last two years. Well whaddya know, it's going ahead depending on restrictions. I assume Level 3 or greater will mean it'll be cancelled.
    Anyway, managed to book a slot for the family so something to look forward to, assuming it goes ahead.
    They've made some changes to it but all in all, it's a really well run event

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Heroditas wrote: »
    I had assumed that a lot of the Santa trips/experiences would be cancelled this year but decided to look at Palmerston House last week. We've gone there the last two years. Well whaddya know, it's going ahead depending on restrictions. I assume Level 3 or greater will mean it'll be cancelled.
    Anyway, managed to book a slot for the family so something to look forward to, assuming it goes ahead.

Went once and it was ok, we go somewhere different every year, but this year we’ve decided it’s too risky, so I’ll be getting the portable North Pole videos instead. It won’t be the same but it’ll be something for the smallies.

As for panic buying, yep that was me at the local toys shop this morning, but the way I look at it is, it’s gonna be bought one way or another so may as well get it early and be sure that Santa will deliver. Besides, local toy shop girl told me they only have 3 deliveries coming in between now and Christmas, so it’s a case of get it while it’s there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Nit sure if this is the right thread or not... I'm looking for white Xmas tree I seen this one in the range but was thinking it's a bit narrow.
    Anyone seen any fuller ones yet?

https://www.therange.co.uk/christmas/christmas-trees/artificial-trees/7-foot-shimmering-winter-fir/#356256

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Nit sure if this is the right thread or not... I'm looking for white Xmas tree I seen this one in the range but was thinking it's a bit narrow.
    Anyone seen any fuller ones yet?

https://www.therange.co.uk/christmas/christmas-trees/artificial-trees/7-foot-shimmering-winter-fir/#356256

Woodies have some in and Argos have some online too, would expect Homestore and More to have white ones too once they get their stock in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

25% off selected toys on Littlewoods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Went into Smyths today to pick up a birthday present and it was like the last days of Rome, obviously panic buying starting to kick in with the level 5 scare. I’ve never shopped this early but it might not be a bad idea to get started!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,899 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Gutted no Christmas pints unless we beat this bastard

Very unlikely we will

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

For example, I still haven't been able to get the orange buttons :(

According to Twitter they're Tesco only. Haven't been able to add them to my online collection orders but I have seen them in-store even visiting a friend's holiday home back when we could. I have, however, been able to get Cadbury orange chocolate fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Went into Smyths today to pick up a birthday present and it was like the last days of Rome, obviously panic buying starting to kick in with the level 5 scare. I’ve never shopped this early but it might not be a bad idea to get started!

Total madness.The lack of common sense in this country is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

wes wrote: »
    I fear it just kicking the can down the road. We have to go to level 5 in November or December if the government have gotten this wrong.....

It's the stupid,arrogant, selfish people who think COVID is fake who have got it wrong, not the Government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

It's the stupid,arrogant, selfish people who think COVID is fake who have got it wrong, not the Government.

Yes those people are very much at fault, but the government let those white supremacist anti-mask crazies march down Grafton street the other day, so my family who lives near by had to avoid the area on our daily walk for fear of either being victims of racist violence (we are not white, and they have attacked LGBT activists with the Gardai did nothing to stop) or them infecting us.

The government have been pretty useless imo and the latest decision is very questionable. I hope they have gotten it right, I really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,277 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's out in the UK.
    EjVgJR5XcAU6xko?format=jpg&name=large

I love the Boots gift guide, love browsing all them books at home with a cuppa and goodies, its a morning for it, if I had one of the gift guides :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Heroditas wrote: »

We have gone to the Christmas Island Santa experience the last few years as an extended family and made a weekend of it as my sister has a summer house near by. Got an email from them to say this year only immediate families can go together, no Santa train, you get a golf buggy instead.

Think we are going to pass and just do a local one as get the whole family together was a bit part of why we did it previously.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We are into the 70's tomorrow in the countdown.... again it only feels like yesterday it was 99 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,166 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    We are into the 70's tomorrow in the countdown.... again it only feels like yesterday it was 99 days.

Was only thinking that last night, its amazing how the pace changes when we get into double digits.

I had the weekly countdown images lined up from months ago & had favourites I was looking forward to using, mad to think they've been & gone & we're almost 'into season' as opposed to being 'out of season' already.

Its been an odd year, but seems to have gone surprisingly quickly.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

On my early morning dog walk this morning and it got me thinking this stage of the year is easily the most frustrating... we're so close to Christmas but it's still frowned upon talking about it and there's no mention of it anywhere until Nov 1st.

I do kinda enjoy Halloween but I really wish it just moved out of the way....

Can we not move Halloween to August :P

Loughc wrote: »
    On my early morning dog walk this morning and it got me thinking this stage of the year is easily the most frustrating... we're so close to Christmas but it's still frowned upon talking about it and there's no mention of it anywhere until Nov 1st.

I do kinda enjoy Halloween but I really wish it just moved out of the way....

Can we not move Halloween to August :P

Actually that's a really good call, christmas is so close but yet not close enough to go all out.
    To be fair, I suspect that if we started into full on music, films, decorations etc at 11 weeks out we'd probably suffer from christmas fatigue by the time it actually came around. As much as I love it, the fact its only a few short weeks makes it so special & I dont want that diluted if I can help it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Slightly conflicted on this, as can see both sides.

Halloween does, at times, feel like it gets in the way of kicking off Christmas related things and you get the old 'Sure it's not even Halloween yet......' comments. On the flip side, if Halloween wasn't there then as DvB said it could all kick off too early and we'd peak before the big day.

October is like a pressure cooker, you can feel it building as the month goes on and then Nov 1st is like a release valve :D

I'm ready every year for Halloween to be over

Can NPHET have a word please...I want some Christmas buzz now please it has its health benefits :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Keep your hands off Halloween, its a solid pagan festival (almost) two months away from Christmas which moved its date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 keenanem

I know Christmas will be alot different this year but i'm looking forward to it all the same.

keenanem wrote: »
    I know Christmas will be alot different this year but i'm looking forward to it all the same.

You have to have something to look forward to.

Covid can and will effect many things however it can't affect the spirit of Christmas, it will only make it stronger.

I agree, I am looking forwards to the positives of having a different Christmas, such as:
    1. Less visitors to eat the QS toffee penny's
    2. Less visitors to eat the QS toffee stick things covered in chocolate
    3. Less visitors to leave wrapper in the tin
    and so on and so on

You've come to the right place :D

Feeling really tired today trying not to reach for the 2nd coffee just yet

SarahLil wrote: »

2 down & contemplating a third myself. Life's too short for that kind of decision making :D

SarahLil wrote: »

I felt so tired this morning I almost slept it out, thankfully I woke up 15 minutes after I stopped my alarm. I'm putting it down to a dull morning.

Dead right, Christmas will mean so much more this year.
    Jude13 wrote: »
    I agree, I am looking forwards to the positives of having a different Christmas, such as:
    1. Less visitors to eat the QS toffee penny's
    2. Less visitors to eat the QS toffee stick things covered in chocolate
    3. Less visitors to leave wrapper in the tin
    and so on and so on

This is the positivity I need in my life haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

https://secretldn.com/34-mayfair-christmas-installation/

It would seem the owner of this restaurant is “one of us”.

Shame L3 means we can’t get this level of commitment in Ireland. By the time places reopen for indoor, it will be time for Christmas decorations :D

• Advertisement

I am basically running on coffee. One at 5am to get the juices flowing to get out the door to the gym, then one on arrival at work. Starbucks today, not a fan, then another at 10am as there was no alternative. That one kept me going till lunch.

When can we bump the white christmas thread on the weather forum?

Advertisement