Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are the far left so pro lockdown ?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

MadYaker wrote: »
    You'll find support for lockdown from the left and the right. It's not really a political issue. Some think it's necessary, others don't, I don't think it has much to do left wing or right wing views. Why do people constantly feel the need to make everything left or right?

If you are anti-mask/anti lockdown or even question it, you are viewed as right wing , cause I assume Gemma and Trump jumped aboard early - Wish it wasnt political as I know many left wing people afraid to air ther views questioning the whole approach, as they may get termed Right wing, when on most other issues they would be socially considerate left wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

This must be the first issue ever that Paul Murphy, Dick Boyd Barrett & co have supported the government on, indeed a lot of the so called far right who protest lockdown would have been past voters for the AAA-PBP.

I think we'd knock a bit of crack outta them if we elected them into government

Cringe

What's cringe about it, At the moment I couldn't afford a starting salary of just over 32,400 for a team lead level position that tops out at around 60k after 16 years service.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Stalin
    Mao
    Pol Pot

This ...

Nothing like a bit of "empathetic and intelligent" totalitarianism. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Zookey123 wrote: »
    What do you mean by far left? Their is no far left in Ireland except for in the minds of the paranoid right.

Those very politicians mentioned in the op are literally right now pushing a bill to hold a referendum to convert Ireland into a communist state.

"The State, accordingly, shall delimit the right to private property where it is necessary to ensure the common good and to vindicate the said right to housing for all residents of Ireland."

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2020-07-28/18/

That this is expensive showboating electioneering with zero chance of making it through the Dáil, let alone a referendum, doesn't matter. They are the extreme left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

This must be the first issue ever that Paul Murphy, Dick Boyd Barrett & co have supported the government on, indeed a lot of the so called far right who protest lockdown would have been past voters for the AAA-PBP.

This isn't America ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Zookey123 wrote: »
    What do you mean by far left? Their is no far left in Ireland except for in the minds of the paranoid right.

Pbp Sol call themselves the radical left. When they have an MEP they sit in with a far left group in the European parliament. So do SF.

Also I've seen a communist given a platform on Vincent Brownes show and Claire Byrne.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eoin_%C3%93_Murch%C3%BA#:~:text=Eoin%20%C3%93%20Murch%C3%BA%20is%20a,the%20Communist%20Party%20of%20Ireland.

There is no real far left in Ireland, nobody wants a communist state .
    There is a small but quite powerful far right cohort in Ireland, they have members in FF/FG and quite prevalent in the Irish Green party,

:D

They arent doing a very good job. Gay marriage,EU membership,free trade supporters eg Irish government via Phil Hogan pushed for free trade with Japan, record number of non-EU migrants,record number of non- nationals handed citizenship etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

They arent doing a very good job. Gay marriage,EU membership,free trade supporters eg Irish government via Phil Hogan pushed for free trade with Japan, record number of non-EU migrants,record number of non- nationals handed citizenship etc.

I know its slightly off topic but never understood the rights objection to gay marriage. It literally has no effect on anyone else's life.

• Advertisement

These are all right wing policies...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

sabat wrote: »

Gay marriage and increased immigration are right wing policies? I'm very confused.

The far right hate all those policies.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Gay marriage and increased immigration are right wing policies? I'm very confused.

You're supposed to be-that's the swindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

You're supposed to be-that's the swindle.

So you are on the wind up then? Understood.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

The far Left PBP and Paul Murphy want job losses and mass unemployment so people are reliant on the the state and social welfare. The lockdown bankrupts and destroys businesses especially small businesses.

The only reason far Left PBP and Paul Murphy etc ever got into the Dail was the last financial collapse. This is a great opportunity again for them. Murphy was attacking IBEC the other day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Because the left is pro-science.

Really ?

Transwomen are women. Transmen are men ? Pro science you say :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The far Left PBP and Paul Murphy want job losses and mass unemployment so people are reliant on the the state and social welfare. The lockdown bankrupts and destroys businesses especially small businesses.

The only reason far Left PBP and Paul Murphy etc ever got into the Dail was the last financial collapse. This is a great opportunity again for them. Murphy was attacking IBEC the other day.

IBEC don't represent small businesses either, their quite happy for the small family run operations to go under, corporations can weather the storm small businesses cant

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Country will be ungovernable if business interests are put ahead of people's lives, we are going to have to see prosecutions over the nursing home deaths and the meat factory fiasco.

Isn't that exactly why HIQA was set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭atticu

Strumms wrote: »
    There is generally a more empathetic and intelligent outlook from the left.

The right just often think about themselves and their own families, interests etc. and judge success and happiness by making money.

Left thinking people want wellness, health of and for people. That’s the priority.

They also seek to succeed too in business as any other aspect of life but they are not willing to do so to the detriment of health and lives of others.

Would you say that you are left leaning?
    Would you think that you share these values and aspirations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Is there science behind the mask requirement...there wasn't 6 months ago?

The science behind masks is simple, if you have the virus a mask will reduce the distance droplets can travel from your airways to the atmosphere. It won't stop them and it won't stop the virus entering either.

It's not the silver bullet to stopping the virus spread but, in the absence of a vaccine/effective drug, it's something we can do to try to have an impact on it. Some other things being:

Washing hands
    Keeping a distance from others
    Practicing respiratory etiquette
    Working from home
    Limiting social interactions

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

atticu wrote: »
    Would you say that you are left leaning?
    Would you think that you share these values and aspirations?

No.

More left than right but I don’t define my beliefs on an issue by what flag I run up a pole or what simple side of an ideology I stand for. I try to instead be loyal to doing what’s right over what’s wrong, what’s good over what’s bad, what’s fair over unfair, what’s thought out over just what’s emotive....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

So health workers always wear masks to protect themselves during the annual flu season...thanks, I never knew that!!!

If ever you have to have surgery, be sure to tell the theatre staff that masks aren't required and of no use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Notmything wrote: »
    It means that for the first time ever their supporters are doing something for the community by staying at home and not going out to work.

Not true, just look at where the rate is highest in Dublin.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

The Left were very vocal about Golfgate.

However most of them are staying quiet about the rave in Oliver Bond flats.

They are pro lockdown because their support base are dole heads who have nothing better to do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Daragh1980 wrote: »

Were there prominent politicians from the governing political parties and senior members of the judiciary in the flats to party?

Coz Id like to see that! :pac::pac:

It wasn't the left that was vocal about golf gate, it was the majority of the public. Politicians are held to a a higher bar, that's the reality. But there was still a pub that got caught in a scandal the week prior. The Oliver Bond flats is getting plenty of negative coverage and imagine there will be more during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

It wasn't the left that was vocal about golf gate, it was the majority of the public. Politicians are held to a a higher bar, that's the reality. But there was still a pub that got caught in a scandal the week prior. The Oliver Bond flats is getting plenty of negative coverage and imagine there will be more during the week.

For golfgate, there were plenty negative comments from prominent lefties along with a selection of jibes towards golfers in general. Most on the Left depise golf and many have no time for middle class professionals.

For the rave, those exact same lefties (I have looked at their Twitter) are mostly staying silent. A couple have stated that criticism of the ravers is “snobby” and “classist”. I also noted one deflecting back to Cliffen - “What about....”

There is a double standard here.

• Advertisement

For golfgate, there were plenty negative comments from prominent lefties along with a selection of jibes towards golfers in general. Most on the Left depise golf and many have no time for middle class professionals.

For the rave, those exact same lefties (I have looked at their Twitter) are mostly staying silent. A couple have stated that criticism of the ravers is “snobby” and “classist”. I also noted one deflecting back to Cliffen - “What about....”

There is a double standard here.

Aengus Ó Snodaigh is currently on Morning Ireland saying it was disgraceful and violated public health guidelines.... He's actively complaining Gardai didn't stop it. So still not seeing a double standard.

Advertisement