Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are the far left so pro lockdown ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

road_high wrote: »
    Yes I’ll always speak my mind- another concept the Lazy left struggle with of course.
    As we’ve seen with anything they disagree with their first port of call id always censorship

What censorship, you are still posting. So you must be free

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is there science behind the mask requirement...there wasn't 6 months ago?

It's almost like science doesn't just decide something on a whim and decide thats it forever......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's almost like science doesn't just decide something on a whim and decide thats it forever......

Then we are in agreement...there is no science whatsoever behind mask wearing but that shouldn't stop us wearing masks.

Then we are in agreement...there is no science whatsoever behind mask wearing but that shouldn't stop us wearing masks.

There's science backing up use of masks, it's on masks thread. Might wanna read it. If you can :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭macpaccrack

In other countries perhaps, not the case in Ireland. The Irish lower classes are not right wing like say the English or American ones as there is no ideological basis beyond what they can cream off others and the system

I think you need to go to one of the Far right marches and see for yourself. The right wing are definitely lower class in general. A lot of them are uneducated and unemployed. I'm not being dismissive its just an observation.

• Advertisement

It's all around us, we have been programmed since we were born, through the education system, cartoons, films, programmes, music industry. Everything the bible said would happen has and is coming true in front of us.

Education system: We have compulsory religious education when I was in school.

Music industry: Plenty of mentions of God, also Christian groups for the lunatic fringe in the states and other countries.

Cartoons, films etc plenty of positive references to God.

Try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

I'm left wing, do not support lockdown especially not localised ones. With a 1 in 12000 chance of catching coronavirus in Dublin last week there was no need for stage 3 restrictions

sabat wrote: »
    This man is the chief executive of that organisation:

"Dr. David Halpern is co-author of the 96-page report MINDSPACE: Influencing behaviour through public policy, published by the Cabinet Office and the Institute for Government. ‘Nudging’ is described in that key document as ‘cues [that] act on people without their conscious knowledge: indeed, people actively resist the suggestion that their actions are being influenced."

https://www.ukcolumn.org/article/behavioural-insights-second-team-leading-uk-governments-covid-19-response

So you first point me to a U.K. government web site as evidence for your theory that it's all about mass indoctrination demanding that I say that you are correct, and when asked to provide an article from the site backing up your theory, you point me to a conspiracy theory site as proof.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

lockdown is good as is wearing masks it prevents people dieing in large numbers like any virus you have to stop it at the start and stop it spreading out of control
    even if you don't die many people will have life time illness from it
    if you stop the virus at the start the quicker it will end you also want to keep the death rate below.one percent some places will go to 10% lf you don't stop it
    some right wing people don't follow science and don't think they will die and don't care if they gve it to someone else also some left wing might be the same .you don't want to make the virus political or they will not follow medical science whole family have died by not taking medical advice

• Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    The extremes of both wings tend to be poorly educated.

Any extremism, be it the left, or right are dangerous, poorly educated. History has shown us this. It’s a bad combination.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

DubInMeath wrote: »
    So you first point me to a U.K. government web site as evidence for your theory that it's all about mass indoctrination and when asked to provide an article from the site backing up your theory, you point me to a conspiracy theory site as proof.

Do you work for the HSE?

Do you work for the HSE?

No, I'm working as a hacker at the moment. Couldn't afford the drop in salary working for the civil service/public service.

Who do you work for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I know lots of 'leftists' and they're all arrogant self righteous pricks who will shout you down in a discussion because they know whats 'correct'.
    It doesn't surprise one bit that they are the most pro lockdown/pro censorship!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Strumms wrote: »
    Any extremism, be it the left, or right are dangerous, poorly educated. History has shown us this. It’s a bad combination.

Avoid radicals...but often radicals can be well educated too!!! No one could accuse a Bishop of being poorly educated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

Because those scroungers will not have to pay for it. To be paid to sit at home to do nothing is their idea of utopia

Funny that. I'm a massive leftie. I grew up in the Bogside with both parents working full time to support 4 boys. We lived in a 2 up 2 down house and it was always tight.

Now I'm in the highest tax bracket, busting my balls to get here and have absolutely no problem paying my taxes and would prefer they went towards helping those who are struggling.

But, aye, I'm a scrounger living in an unemployed utopia.

I know lots of 'leftists' and they're all arrogant self righteous pricks who will shout you down in a discussion because they know whats 'correct'.

Haha says you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I'm left wing, do not support lockdown especially not localised ones. With a 1 in 12000 chance of catching coronavirus in Dublin last week there was no need for stage 3 restrictions

‘experts’ maintain otherwise.

circadian wrote: »
    Funny that. I'm a massive leftie. I grew up in the Bogside with both parents working full time to support 4 boys. We lived in a 2 up 2 down house and it was always tight.

Now I'm in the highest tax bracket, busting my balls to get here and have absolutely no problem paying my taxes and would prefer they went towards helping those who are struggling.

But, aye, I'm a scrounger living in an unemployed utopia.

Amazing that if you don't want to treat people like **** because they have less than you your automatically a leftist scrounger. Also funny that how many posters who were apparently so pro life on here are against life saving actions.

What discussion you are providing?

No, I'm working as a hacker at the moment. Couldn't afford the drop in salary working for the civil service/public service.

Who do you work for?

I'm self employed and trying to understand why you have an issue with acknowledging factual evidence when it's right in front of you. That ukcolumn link lists clearly who works for that public behaviour modification unit and what their backgrounds are. It's not a conspiracy theory-it's a real government/semi-state unit and they're pretty transparent about what they do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Maybe you find yourself getting shouted down a lot because there's no other way of stopping you from talking shite.

I know lots of right-wing people and they all seem to be pretty much in favour of taking all necessary precautions to prevent the spread of Covid19, because they're not f**king idiots. Making Covid19 a left/right issue is beyond stupid because the vast majority of people, left and right, are broadly in agreement on this one.

I'm self employed and trying to understand why you have an issue with acknowledging factual evidence when it's right in front of you. That ukcolumn link lists clearly who works for that public behaviour modification unit and what their backgrounds are. It's not a conspiracy theory-it's a real government/semi-state unit and they're pretty transparent about what they do.

You still haven't backed up your claim that it's all about mass indoctrination and control other than pointing to a conspiracy theory site.

Also even going by the examples that the conspiracy theory site used regarding healthy eating drinking etc, the government department in question are obviously not very good at their job are they, and people don't listen to the facts that eating healthy and drinking less are better for your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'm far left and I'm 100% not pro-lockdown, I agree that containment measures are necessary but I'm furious that (a) the government bungled their one chance to do this right back in June when they expedited the roadmap, (b) the new government threw away the public's goodwill with Golfgate, and (c) that the messaging and the measures themselves have been made up as they go along and utterly incompetent since the new government took over.

I honestly don't see where this idea that the far left are pro-lockdown comes from. Many of my close friends are far left and we're both utterly fed up of the social isolation and also unbelievably pissed off that, from our point of view, moronic decision making is probably a gigantic contributing factor as to why everything went to sh!t after it seemed we actually had the situation under control earlier in the summer.

You still haven't backed up your claim that it's all about mass indoctrination and control other than pointing to a conspiracy theory site.

Also even going by the examples that the conspiracy theory site used regarding healthy eating drinking etc, the government department in question are obviously not very good at their job are they?

At this point I'm replying more in the hope that other people read this because I just don't think you're very bright. Again. In black and white. From an official government site. Good day to you.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/MINDSPACE-Practical-guide-final-Web_1.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwik2K6KjvjrAhUDURUIHfFoACAQFjAAegQIDBAC&usg=AOvVaw13ZZmdbOUWKES_x1eO_-59

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

If the far-left are pro lockdown, then those attending the anti-mask anti-lockdown protests would be far-right, however would these people not be the same rent a mob we’ve seen protesting at the Corrib spouting Freeman nonsense, or showing up at evictions of people who have made no attempt to for years to pay back any of their loan (Strokestown). I would’ve said it was the far-left who would’ve attended those protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I think you need to go to one of the Far right marches and see for yourself. The right wing are definitely lower class in general. A lot of them are uneducated and unemployed. I'm not being dismissive its just an observation.

Would be a lot of right wingers in privileged old money as well, Niall Mc Connell is from well off FG background.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

There is no real far left in Ireland, nobody wants a communist state .
    There is a small but quite powerful far right cohort in Ireland, they have members in FF/FG and quite prevalent in the Irish Green party,

At this point I'm replying more in the hope that other people read this because I just don't think you're very bright. Again. In black and white. From an official government site. Good day to you.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/MINDSPACE-Practical-guide-final-Web_1.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwik2K6KjvjrAhUDURUIHfFoACAQFjAAegQIDBAC&usg=AOvVaw13ZZmdbOUWKES_x1eO_-59

Ah you might want to try again this isn't an official U.K. government site.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_for_Government

They are a private company. Again if they were any good at their job at mass indoctrination as you claimed, why are there obesity and alcohol abuse issues so prevalent in the U.K given their advice to the British government.?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

I'm far left and I'm 100% not pro-lockdown, I agree that containment measures are necessary but I'm furious that (a) the government bungled their one chance to do this right back in June when they expedited the roadmap, (b) the new government threw away the public's goodwill with Golfgate, and (c) that the messaging and the measures themselves have been made up as they go along and utterly incompetent since the new government took over.

I honestly don't see where this idea that the far left are pro-lockdown comes from. Many of my close friends are far left and we're both utterly fed up of the social isolation and also unbelievably pissed off that, from our point of view, moronic decision making is probably a gigantic contributing factor as to why everything went to sh!t after it seemed we actually had the situation under control earlier in the summer.

What do you mean by far left? Their is no far left in Ireland except for in the minds of the paranoid right.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭macpaccrack

Who do you work for?

Cringe

Advertisement