Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parkrun, lap two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Achill off again this weekend and I gather the local St Patricks parade in the area is postponed until Easter. Something odd going on out there.

In brighter news, Tubbercurry Trail gets going this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Mullinabreena

180 at the first Tubbercurry parkrun today.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Duzzie

A lovely course, mix of forest trails and open bog land. All on decent paths so trail runners not really needed. 180 probably too many for the course, particularly at the start, but numbers will settle over the next few weeks. Locals, walkers and first timers were well represented.The team coped very well though and were very welcoming. Good to see lots of marshals around the course . A great addition to the parkrun community.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Glad you enjoyed it Duzzie. I wasn't there myself but I use that trail regularly, it's a great facility to have in Tubbercurry. For a short trail its quite diverse. The numbers will ease off in the next few weeks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Has anyone ran in Mountjoy prison? A friend was telling me about it, he's done it twice now. I applied last week, booked in for Feb 2025.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

I've done it twice, it's a very interesting experience. No smart watches allowed though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Ah for my times, I don't need a watch. I'm just happy to finish it.

Heard a funny story before about one of the guys was talking to one of the runners. Where yee from, kildare. Me too. What part, Naas. Me too. What estate, no way me too.

Did a search of the guy on the way home, sure enough, he was there. Rented gaff, so he won't be returning when released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Car pool if at all possible, parking is limited. No watch, phone and car keys will be taken off you. Plan to be there for a couple of hours, as you'll have a coffee afterwards and a tour of one of the cells. Really interesting experience, for anyone else thinking of doing it, you need to have a good few parkruns under your belt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Real Eye opener. You get to chat with some of the inmates and run against them. 7 lap course but they have a clock going so easy enough to keep track. I must put my name down for it again

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Another trip to a gorgeous parkrun location this morning. Visited Narin Beach parkrun in Co. Donegal. They usually have low numbers but seem to get a boost from bank holiday visitors. Well worth a visit if you are up in that part of the country and their event team is very friendly. One word of caution, it is a tough, slow course due to the soft sand, especially when the tide is in, so don't be expecting fast times. There is also lots of fantastic scenery in the area for a bit of sight seeing afterwards. I'd recommend Narin Beach parkrun to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The 500 barrier was broken by a Malahide regular today. Congrats to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I was having issues last year and I wrote to the app people (think there was a link on the app) and reported it. They were very responsive and came back and fixed the issue with a patch. No problems since

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Done my first ever parkrun this morning, am over the moon.

After taking up running in 2021, things were going great for about 12 months when I started getting pains in my heels. Like a fool I kept running until it go so bad even on days off - trip to the physio and diagnosed with plantar fasciitis in both my feet. It took over 18 months to sort out and I left it another 6 months before going back running (jogging really). Have been back running for about 6 weeks now and after registering for Parkrun back in 2021 - I eventually got to take part.
    Must say, was nervous, but super friendly organisers and a tough test. Can’t wait for my next one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

The fact that person also is in the 250 Volunteer club makes 500 more impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

It's the 100th event for Tramore Valley parkrun in Cork next Sat, that's taken a while especially for an event that started in Sept 2015 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Will the weather warning mean many getting cancelled I wonder, there seems to be a few gone already

The orange counties more so than the yellows although both south Tipperary runs are off. You'd want to be a hardy soul to want to go out in that anyway.

Interestingly Inch Beach say they'll go ahead unless Met Eireann declare a red alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

They're falling like skittles at the moment.

For any parkrun in an orange warning zone it's probably best to check their website before travelling in the morning.

Almost all the parkruns in Cork have cancelled at this stage, I'd expect the last two to do the same.

• Advertisement

31 called off so far. Including 3 that had called off for other reasons, Achill, St Annes and Castletown. Ironically, the race that St Annes was cancelled for might well get called off themselves.

Everything in Galway got called off so I ended up in Athlone this morning where I heard that they are planning to move out of TUS/AIT and onto an out and back course on the Old Rail Trail Greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The BHAA race predates St. Anne’s parkrun as far as I know so, being pedantic, I wouldn’t call it a cancellation.

Well in any case, the race did go ahead as did all other Dublin Parkruns from what I gather.

Going to try this again next Sat assuming no more storms appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kenn0

Kilkenny countryside park junior parkrun will start Sunday 21st of April at 9:30 am sharp. Junior parkrun is a free weekly 2km run for children aged 4 to 14 years. Parents can run / walk with children if they choose. Register on line at

https://www.parkrun.ie/register/

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭simonw

What are people's top few favorite parkruns in Ireland? Thinking of doing a bit of tourism somewhere in the next few weeks and trying to come up with a shortlist

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kenn0

Kilkenny castle park

A Tough one in a beautiful setting

Tramore

go for dip in the sea after

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Glengarriff, Vandeleur, Tramore, Sport Ireland Campus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Any particular areas you'll be visiting? Where is your home parkrun?

Advertisement