Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parkrun, lap two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭opus

I've had to deal with parkrun HQ a few times, it's a bit like a politburo, their decisions cannot be questioned. As parkrun Ireland is now bundled under the EMEA umbrella, maybe things will change, hopefully anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

Surely getting rid of time and position is next on the agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭gar

I think it'll do the exact opposite and numbers will fall off a cliff

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Was concerning that PSH and Russ brought up that as a possibility. Could have been them just getting carried away with the train of thought about "it's my ball, so my rules" and trying to scare the stats people to back off.

But if it was a potential threat or not, it shows an astounding lack of ability to manage the PR of the situation. That they agreed to a meeting means something from sponsors likely spooked them, but their handling of any controversial issues is repeatedly very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I agree that these changes and more in that direction will cause a fall off in numbers. I said it in my local parkrun group, it feels like the beginning of the end.

Who are all these people who are so frightened of stats that it's causing them not to sign up? It's not like the website is so intuitive to use that results and stats are ready to find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

HQ claimed previously that a survey of people who had registered and never taken part or had only taken once indicated that they were put off by the statistics, which lead to their removal. Someone posted an HQ generated report based on the survey which suggested that the main impediments were child care issues, the 9.30 start time and not being able to run 5k. The report made no reference to stats. I'll see if I can find the report

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Sandwell

There's been no fall in numbers at the two Parkruns I frequent and I've encountered no discussion about these changes outside of a few posters on running forums. My instinct is that Parkrun will be absolutely grand and most people don't care about this issue.

this is the report that I was referring to. It is dated 2022, so is recent enough. One of ithe co authors is Matt Shields, the parkrun country manager for for Ireland.

https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-022-12546-w?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0CZqgRFKuaHzAaGnSIfm6lW5HfEc6v-NQz_OCAvUq9DZDpN39FhnyuEZE_aem_AeZ9JHClfO5rD_8xFjWa7KUbPiz16vEfLMEDUefVBCnJje0kSFOll-lVtDe6tawN8poGL3_sv4h_kL-qzXmwQYOb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Agreed, The vast majority (Including myself to be honest) don't care, a lot probably don't even realise there's a change. Once I get my own time I'm fine

The point is that if you don't care about the stats, their presence doesn't affect you, you just ignore them. They don't impact on your enjoyment of parkrun, which is fair enough. For those who do get benefit from the stats, their removal does impact on their enjoyment of parkrun. The HQ rational that the stats discourage participation does not ring true and is not reflected in their own reporting, as posted above. What has annoyed a lot of regular parkrunners is HQs dismissive responses to the back lash over the removal of the stats. This whole issue appears to be due to issues with transgender runners and HQs attempt to deal with the issue without actually dealing with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I wouldn't say I don't care as I like scrolling stats. Would it stop me doing parkrun though? Absolutely not. If they removed milestones and pbs then I might be more indifferent to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭brick tamland

All fair points, I just don't think it will have any impact on attendances at all like what was claimed above

Agreed, I don't think think the current removal of stats will result in a significant decrease in participation. I suspect that the current change is more likely to put off regular volunteers who have put in a lot of time into parkrun and are more likely to have an interest in the stats. I have already seen people saying that they are likely to volunteer less. However, if as suggested, event results are changed so that you only get your own time, or even times aren't given at all, those changes would result in a big drop off which I think is the drop off alluded to in previous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I'd agree with that alright. Can't really see it happening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

People on a predominately UK parkrun facebook group were getting quite riled up about the confirmation that stats were not returning. I actually left the group because it was so negative.

Yes I'd rather they hadn't taken away the stats - I manage the social media for my local parkrun and quite often do up the run report and sometimes the stats were interesting or handy to dissect. I think it's that parkrun HQ seem to have said that they won't take the feedback from parkrun regulars and that decisions are made at HQ level (and not taking into account the community views) has annoyed people.

There was rumblings online that the results would be removed, that timing would be stopped. It had kinda grown legs a bit!!

The idea of removing the results or making them open to the individual or "friends" only was something the Russ Jeffreys suggested in the meeting with the Bring Back The Stats group that could happen next so I'd suggest it is more than just online rumblings unfortunately.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Parkrun HQ have managed to turn an annoying issue for many regarding the removal of the stats, but something people would eventually have got over, and instead they have confirmed their attitude towards volunteers and parkrunners and created a much bigger issue for themselves.

They haven't solved the "gender issue". They haven't made parkrun more welcoming to those scared of stats who wouldn't have known about them anyway.

They have confirmed the fears of potential future changes and their continuing inability to handle PR. The stats are now becoming a minor side issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

The promotion of walking is pushing people away from volunteering, a few years back it was unusual to be there for over 50 minutes in a volunteer capacity, now its well over an hour waiting for people to finish

The problem with their promotion of walking is that the only people who know about it is existing parkrunners. Volunteers wouldn't have a problem standing around for an hour if there wasn't 5 minute gaps between people after 40 minutes but HQ seem to think that renaming some volunteers bibs would make people turn up. That just gives people who like accumulating volunteer credits an extra way to do so.

I don't think there is much which can be done on a national/ global level to encourage walkers (other than the insurance benefits which people got in South Africa). It needs the existing core communities in each location to reach out to their own local areas and get people involved that way.

Some events do this already and when touristing you'll occasionally come across very different make up results, but it's entirely down to the core team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So, what would you say needs to be a minimum pace to attend Parkrun? 8 minutes a kilometre?

personally, I have no issue with walkers. Most walkers finish in 50 to 55 minutes unless particularly slow. We all have to start somewhere. I certainly wouldn't would advocate time limits or excluding walkers. Most volunteers Ive come across are happy to be there for walkers, except when they aren't trying to be as quick as they can, like when they stop for a chat part way round or are obviously dawdling around.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Butterbeans

I don't have an issue with the removal of some of the stats, I would rarely have looked at them in the last few years. But when I started doing parkrun 8 years ago, I always checked them, spent a good bit of time diving around in them so I can definitely see why some people are put out. It won't stop me going. I've heard no chat about it at our local event. I'm a run director and I've not heard it mentioned by any of the other run directors, volunteers or participants.

I was disappointed with some of the comments from HQ in the article, basically if you don't like it, f#*k off, others will take your place. It was unnecessary. And for me anyway, parkrun is all about community.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭Trampas

Should publish everything and if you don’t want your name appearing let their be an option on your account to hide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

If they stop timing at parkrun I am afraid they will be the only children in the playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I agree with your second paragraph. Parkrun seems to have been doing a big push to get new people signed up by targeting walkers. But what about the people who are already taking part in parkrun? Don't forget about them. Parkrun was started out for runners to come together for a weekly run and chat after. Many of those who volunteer are injured runners, runners who have an upcoming race or family members. Yeah I'm confused about the "community" element also. Isn't that what the parkrun ambassadors are for - the link between the events on the ground and parkrun HQ?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Parkrun, the hint is in the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭CR 7

I noticed my local parkrun hasn't asked for pacing volunteers this weekend, there's usually pacers the first weekend of each month. Maybe this is part of the move to reduce competitiveness? Must keep an eye the next few months.

• Advertisement

Advertisement