Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parkrun, lap two

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

"Tubbercurry Trail" Parkrun is nearly ready and is looking to get going on the 23rd of March.

https://www.facebook.com/share/KTrRkNBKh6Vy2zkk/

I'm kind of replying to my own post, but I don't suppose it's too late to suggest they call themselves "Yeats Country Parkrun", cos you know, they are in Sligo and Sligo is Yeats Country. No other reason. 😇

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

If you mean the event team, afraid they have zero say in what it's called! parkrun hq decide on the name & you basically have to accept it.

I feel as if I've hit on the Youghal Pobal Scoil bone of contention and I didn't mean to. It was just a bit of light hearted pun play.

Something to watch out for if you plan on visiting on a different day is the tides. They have an instagram page now and will warn ahead of time if it's called off for the tide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Is that not a bit of a pain in the backside not being able to go ahead on certain weekends because of the tides? And to set up a parkrun event knowing that? I've never done a beach parkrun - is this something other beach parkruns encounter?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There is one near me where part of the course is on a path around a tidaly filled swimming "lake", and have been there half an hour before the start with the waves crashing over the sea wall above that lake. They do have an alternate course if the tide isn't compliant, but think they have only needed to use that a handful of times. There is a massive tidal range round here though, so the high tides don't last very long at all so quite easy to get lucky and not have a tide between 9 and 10:30 too often.

Every venue has availability problems now and then. Naas and Wexford have horse racing for example. Between this and no Parkruns at all, it's a better outcome.

Narin and Inch do have enough beach at high tide to go ahead but that's the beauty of the Atlantic. However they would be more prone to weather cancellation then inland runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

It does seem strange to pick a venue that you know won't be available on a significant number of days every year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There is probably some very complicated formula to work it out, but I think it must happen way less than we'd assume the tide would cause a cancellation or such courses wouldn't be viable. If they have two cancelled next month then they possibly don't get another clash of tides again for 10 months or something like that.

• Advertisement

I guess it also depends on how much the course is impacted. Is it just at the peak of high tides or a couple of hours either side, only at spring tides when the high tides are higher .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Some history at SETU Arena.

Did University of Galway this morning, nice enough run although I think the use of the park to stretch out the 5k could be improved, especially as it's potentially a tourist hotspot for challenge chasers.

As it stands you do two laps around a field on a pretty narrow path, out and back on the riverside path and one more lap of the field before finishing.

I reckon they should start with the out and back and then do 3 laps of the field, that way we get the different paces spread out before we tackle the narrow path portion rather than the awkward jostling while everyone is still bunched up.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

Good idea, I did it two weeks ago and the start is a bit chaotic alright

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I believe Yeats was more of a North Sligo / Leitrim man. Those Tobercurriers are friends he hasn't yet met. 😉

Went for a bucket list parkrun at the stunning Eden Project this morning . Absolutely loved it. Entrance to Eden Project is usually 35 pounds per adult but parkrunners and their supporters get in for free. Spent 4 hours wondering around. If ever over in that neck of the woods, it is well worth a visit, despite the hills.

It is a great course and by far the best way to visit Eden Project. Great cheap way to visit, although you may then end up spending that money anyway in the gift shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭simonw

What's the best way to get over to it from Ireland? Have always been curious about it

We flew into Newquay with Ryanair, then by train to Par. Ryanair only go to Newquay every other day so flew out Friday and back on Sunday. Flying to Bristol is the other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Heading to Manchester this weekend.

will be doing a parkrun on Saturday morning.

anyone ever done one they can recommend please

• Advertisement

Rain warning on the east coast until 3am Saturday morning, could be flooding on Parkrun routes, check their socials.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I've done South Manchester and Peel before, both quite nice 2 lappers if I remember correctly. If choosing between them, I'd just go to the one nearest your accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It's been a few years but we did Stretford parkrun when we were in Manchester for a weekend. It was handy enough to get to by train. Don't forget they start at 9am there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

With the weather hitting a frosty spell in some places, it's worthwhile keeping an eye on the usual page for cancellations.

https://www.parkrun.ie/cancellations/

Laytown might end up getting a lot more then they bargained for. A saltwater beach would be reasonably safe from ice.

Brickfields, Poppintree are go, Marley, Griffeen and Dodder called off.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Butterbeans

Waterstown is off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

Tymon is on 🙌

Chucking it down with rain at ours this morning and the nearest parkrun had already been called off due to anticipated mud bath conditions. Look out the window first thing and a car drives past with an inch of snow on the roof, we all look at each other confused. Turns out various parkruns within 5 miles of us were called off last minute due to snow. Meanwhile we've just got drenched and not seen any snow except what has driven past us on car roofs.

Wife managed to get around a coastal soggy event which was on, and I had a dirty fry up breakfast in the nearby cafe with soggy dog and reluctant kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Did Laytown this morning with nearly 400 others, bit of wind chill and the planned out and back course, turned into an out and back and an out and back. The start itself was a bit congested, but considering it was event no.1 that had to be expected. Sand was quite damp, so trail runners were needed, beach itself was wide enough, so people running towards each other wasn't really a problem. Personally I enjoyed it, first parkrun on sand. Parking wasn't an issue for us, we car pooled and arrived early. Train from city gets there for 8-45 and back at 10-45, not too far off the M1, exit before tolls. Finish was well managed, plenty of volunteers. As with all parkruns, get there early to have the chats and hang around to have a coffee and show support for the team and other runners.

Advertisement