Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2020 in the Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Maelenn

Same.. I'm 41 and I have received the message from Pas. Are they going to tell us who is the employer? I don't really want to talk with my current employer until I know more... Do we need to give them references at this stage?

You will only know your department once clearance is completed. You will need to give them references when they reach your OOM and start clearance with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 KD1934

Maelenn wrote: »
    When they reach your OOM, they will ask for references from the 3 previous years. They won't contact your current employer unless you authorise them to do so. However, they will still need a reference for the years that you are with your current employer.

Thanks for the reply, so I do have to give a reference from my current employer, little awkward!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mw163

I applied for the AO ICT role back in early December and interviewed in the last week of February.
    Everyone on here seems to know so much about the process!!!
    I haven't a clue....

Anyone know how long it takes usually to find out how you did in the interview?
    Something about getting on a panel and then waiting again before being offered a job if ever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DerastiS

mw163 wrote: »
    I applied for the AO ICT role back in early December and interviewed in the last week of February.
    I haven't a clue....

Something about getting on a panel and then waiting again before being offered a job if ever :)

Is it the DSP role? I applied to this as well and interviewed in the same timeframe, I don't know what's happening either.

If they were a private sector company I'd have dismissed them as not being serious about hiring anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hydration

I haven't a clue....

Yes, that is pretty much it. Results of interview in the coming weeks and then placed on a panel with an Order of Merit as jobs become available. Positions are in Sligo and Dublin. Dont know exactly when the results will be released but was told in February that it would be a few weeks.

• Advertisement

DerastiS wrote: »
    Is it the DSP role? I applied to this as well and interviewed in the same timeframe, I don't know what's happening either.

If they were a private sector company I'd have dismissed them as not being serious about hiring anybody.

Yeah same - I'm new to all this but from the application they did seem to want to fill these/this positioin quickly and its already been 3 months since the application closed.
    Suppose Im naive

Hydration wrote: »
    Yes, that is pretty much it. Results of interview in the coming weeks and then placed on a panel with an Order of Merit as jobs become available. Positions are in Sligo and Dublin. Dont know exactly when the results will be released but was told in February that it would be a few weeks.

Thanks! So I do understand the convuluted process!!
    I reckon best to forget about it until I hear something either way so

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hydration

Yes, your understanding is correct. They probably had a lot of candidates to interview for the AO ICT role also. Best to be patient and positive about this. Its important they select the right people. They will be in touch in the coming weeks.

Thanks you are right, honestly I do feel positive about it and I would love the job! I think Im finding the waiting hard...

I also see a Revenue AO ICT role has been advertised which opens up the options for everyone - which is good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Blochtower

I am OOM 26 in batch 1.2 and I was called for clearance yesterday. Does anyone know if we choose to not take our place, are we unable to join the AO competition in the future? I've already committed to a grad scheme and I would prefer to not enter an AO position for 3 months and want to make sure that I'm not hurting myself for future competitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 meepp

Where is the General Stream at now?

I'm towards the end or the first couple pf hundred asked to submit further info in early Nov.

Heard nothing since?

Does that mean it's just a little slow..... Or they didn't like my experience / qualifications and decided not to process my application any further?

Blochtower wrote: »
    I am OOM 26 in batch 1.2 and I was called for clearance yesterday. Does anyone know if we choose to not take our place, are we unable to join the AO competition in the future? I've already committed to a grad scheme and I would prefer to not enter an AO position for 3 months and want to make sure that I'm not hurting myself for future competitions.

Is this for the DSP AO role?
    Sorry I cant help with your question though..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DerastiS

Forgetting about it is the best way to go. To be honest I struggle to understand what sort of person they're looking for - it's a graduate position that's advertised at the opposite time of year to when people graduate. My understanding is they actually want experienced people but anyone actively looking for a new job can't be sitting around waiting for 4 or 5 months before they even know if they have a chance at a job.

There'll always be next year and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Rose Violet

Hi there,

does anyone know where they are at on the Health Stream and if they are going for clearance is it via notification and the PAS portal or is it a letter.

Thanks in advance.

meepp wrote: »

I'm towards the end or the first couple pf hundred asked to submit further info in early Nov.

Heard nothing since?

Does that mean it's just a little slow..... Or they didn't like my experience / qualifications and decided not to process my application any further?

I was original OOM 40 on the general stream, and ended up at 26 OOM after interview and was just called for clearance. I would recommend e-mailing PAS because they've been fairly responsive about providing more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 2020Survivor

You will have to agree a start date with whatever Department you are considered for. It’s not unheard of for people to have to work a 3 month notice period in their current job before being able to finish that job and start their new one, if you get what I mean?!

Also, just because you’ve been called to clearance it doesn’t mean you’ll be told what Department you’re being assigned to for a couple or even a few weeks.

If this grad scheme is only 3 months, then I wouldn’t withdraw from this competition, these competitions are notoriously difficult to be successful in, they are often a lottery because of the aptitude tests. I know people that have really well one time, but failed the interview and then don’t pass the aptitude tests the next time or get a much worse Order of Merit and don’t get called for interview. So do your grad scheme and when the Department contact you explain the situation and negotiate your start date. Not taking the job won’t hurt you next time or in future competitions, it’s just that they are notoriously difficult to do well in the tests time after time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

meepp wrote: »

Heard nothing since?

PAS will tell you if you are ruled out via any particular means of assessment, be it a test, shortlisting, work sample or interview. Otherwise, operate on the basis that you have not been ruled out. As a new competition approaches, the question of whether they will reach your number may arise, but, as it is still early days, they will probably get to you eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aero123

There seems to be a lot of movement on the General stream which is great to see! Does anyone know where they are at with the Business & Finance stream?

You will have to agree a start date with whatever Department you are considered for. It’s not unheard of for people to have to work a 3 month notice period in their current job before being able to finish that job and start their new one, if you get what I mean?!

Also, just because you’ve been called to clearance it doesn’t mean you’ll be told what Department you’re being assigned to for a couple or even a few weeks.

If this grad scheme is only 3 months, then I wouldn’t withdraw from this competition, these competitions are notoriously difficult to be successful in, they are often a lottery because of the aptitude tests. I know people that have really well one time, but failed the interview and then don’t pass the aptitude tests the next time or get a much worse Order of Merit and don’t get called for interview. So do your grad scheme and when the Department contact you explain the situation and negotiate your start date. Not taking the job won’t hurt you next time or in future competitions, it’s just that they are notoriously difficult to do well in the tests time after time.

Ah thank you so much!! Unfortunately, it's a multi-year contract so I don't think i'll be able to negotiate a start date, but thank you so much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Zoulikha

Aero123 wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of movement on the General stream which is great to see! Does anyone know where they are at with the Business & Finance stream?

Or HR? Even though I was placed really high, I have not heard anything and PAS are not replying to emails either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Ah thank you so much!! Unfortunately, it's a multi-year contract so I don't think i'll be able to negotiate a start date, but thank you so much :D

So you're rather asking is it ok to bow out now rather than take an AO role for 3 months only? It sounds like you have no choice and I doubt this could affect future applications, so just do it asap if you're certain the grad scheme wont be affected by Covid. But, given the economic situation, personally I'd also rather take an AO position for the long term over a grad scheme in industry, especially if you're just out of college.

I picked that up wrong, I thought the grad scheme was for 3 months, not that you would only be taking the AO job for 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cornel08biz

Hi Guys!

I have sent my acceptance email yesterday, but didn't receive any confirmation from Pas ( like an auto response or something) .. I'm just trying to find out a few things, but I'm not getting any answer... Did anyone try to call them recently?

Hi Guys!

I have sent my acceptance email yesterday, but didn't receive any confirmation from Pas ( like an auto response or something) .. I'm just trying to find out a few things, but I'm not getting any answer... Did anyone try to call them recently?

I also sent my acceptance email yesterday but have also not heard anything from them.

I haven’t tried ringing them though. I wasn’t sure if they would be in the office, I know some of them were working from home, but I don’t know if that includes the Clearance team. I would like to hear before close of business today so I could get working on whatever I need to do for clearance over the weekend. The message I received made me think I would just be getting a stock email with instructions as to what to do for clearance, but maybe that’s not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nogoodusername

I also sent my acceptance email yesterday but have also not heard anything from them.

I haven’t tried ringing them though. I wasn’t sure if they would be in the office, I know some of them were working from home, but I don’t know if that includes the Clearance team. I would like to hear before close of business today so I could get working on whatever I need to do for clearance over the weekend. The message I received made me think I would just be getting a stock email with instructions as to what to do for clearance, but maybe that’s not the case.

Hi, just wondering is this for the business and finance panel or for general stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

It won't impact your standing in any future competition. You can email them to leave the panel now and join the next one in September.

You can obviously continue with the panel, but it wouldn't be unheard of for your AO start date to be more than three months from now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭FenFlynn

There is no confirmation email after your email confirming you accept the position. You'll be contacted with a list of documents to supply and to fill out in due course, more than likely next week.
    I made the mistake of sending a zip file which was bigger than 10 MB and it never reached PAS, so my clearance was delayed by at least a week. Very unfortunate, would advise everyone else to make sure not to do that same.

Hi, just wondering is this for the business and finance panel or for general stream?

This was for the General stream, Batch 1.2. From a previous post here yesterday they are up to at least 45 according to nmcg67 who posted about that at 18.10.

I have received an email from PAS about what I must do now for clearance, so that’s great, I can work away at that over the weekend :D as I really want to get this moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Cossie44

This was for the General stream, Batch 1.2. From a previous post here yesterday they are up to at least 45 according to nmcg67 who posted about that at 18.10.

I have received an email from PAS about what I must do now for clearance, so that’s great, I can work away at that over the weekend :D as I really want to get this moving.

What do u have to do?

Recieved the same email yesterday but had no reply yet.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 CringePirate

It won't impact your standing in any future competition. You can email them to leave the panel now and join the next one in September.

You can obviously continue with the panel, but it wouldn't be unheard of for your AO start date to be more than three months from now anyway

Probably a stupid question but is there anyway to turn down a role and be moved back long the queue?
    Or is it just accept or leave the panel?

Advertisement