Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2020 in the Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Govannan

150s-ish

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nogoodusername

Hi all, just wondering have any of you on the Business and Finance panel heard anything recently from PAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭derailed

Just got called up to presentation and competency based interview in just over 2 weeks. Got all familiarisation material from PAS having updated my application form a few weeks back. Early 300's in OOM originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭haleyoshea

derailed wrote: »
    Just got called up to presentation and competency based interview in just over 2 weeks. Got all familiarisation material from PAS having updated my application form a few weeks back. Early 300's in OOM originally.

Me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Nclan

Has anybody heard any updates from the Health panel??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Puguchung

Hi everyone, just wondering if AO is a grade that is allowed to work flexitime and to request things like Shorter Working Year - once probation is over and if the department that you’re in allows those things?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Puguchung wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just wondering if AO is a grade that is allowed to work flexitime and to request things like Shorter Working Year - once probation is over and if the department that you’re in allows those things?

It depends entirely on the Division/Section that you're working in- however, in general, yes, you would be entitled to apply for both flexi and a shorter working year (subject to business needs).

In practice- it is a bit of a double edged sword- as you are as likely to end up working outside of normal working hours anyway- even as an EO, depending on where you find yourself, you could end up with an element of weekend work at very short/no notice.

So- its possible, however, I wouldn't be relying on it. You don't have a 'right' to it- its wholly subject to business requirements.

It depends entirely on the Division/Section that you're working in- however, in general, yes, you would be entitled to apply for both flexi and a shorter working year (subject to business needs).

In practice- it is a bit of a double edged sword- as you are as likely to end up working outside of normal working hours anyway- even as an EO, depending on where you find yourself, you could end up with an element of weekend work at very short/no notice.

So- its possible, however, I wouldn't be relying on it. You don't have a 'right' to it- its wholly subject to business requirements.

Thanks for that. A related question - I’m in both AO and EO competitions at the moment, and in terms of having a small child at home, would both roles be more or less the similar in terms of working hours and conditions, as The Conductor said above? In terms of the work and the pay etc. those two roles are different, but when it comes to anything that could affect working hours those two are the same, is that right? Sorry if that’s long-winded and makes no sense!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thanks for that. A related question - I’m in both AO and EO competitions at the moment, and in terms of having a small child at home, would both roles be more or less the similar in terms of working hours and conditions, as The Conductor said above? In terms of the work and the pay etc. those two roles are different, but when it comes to anything that could affect working hours those two are the same, is that right? Sorry if that’s long-winded and makes no sense!

Both EO and AO are lower/middle management grades- however, an AO is a position with additional responsibilities and expectations associated with it, an EO is a grade immediately junior to an AO (or a HEO).

As an AO- you would have additional expectations (and demands) placed on you, than you would as an EO.

In general, and this is only a generalisation, it would tend to be easier to get more flexible working conditions in the more junior grade (but saying this I am aware of multiple APs who work 4 day weeks etc- nothing is set in stone).

There is also nothing to say you would have less interesting or less fulfilling work in the lower grade- as an EO I regularly attended Commission working groups in Brussels, I did financial and scientific audits on Department funded projects around the country- and I was involved in putting together legal cases and labour queries for state bodies etc.

It really depends on where you end up- you could be incredibly lucky or incredibly unlucky.

Picture being an AO in Finance in the months and weeks coming up to budget time- the likelihood of flexible working conditions in such a high pressure environment/time delineated task orientated section- could be non-existent- whereas it could be quite broad at other times of the year.

It really depends on where you end up- and what you end up doing- but as a rule of thumb, the more senior the role, the less likely you are to have flexible work opportunities afforded to you.

Both EO and AO are lower/middle management grades- however, an AO is a position with additional responsibilities and expectations associated with it, an EO is a grade immediately junior to an AO (or a HEO).

As an AO- you would have additional expectations (and demands) placed on you, than you would as an EO.

In general, and this is only a generalisation, it would tend to be easier to get more flexible working conditions in the more junior grade (but saying this I am aware of multiple APs who work 4 day weeks etc- nothing is set in stone).

There is also nothing to say you would have less interesting or less fulfilling work in the lower grade- as an EO I regularly attended Commission working groups in Brussels, I did financial and scientific audits on Department funded projects around the country- and I was involved in putting together legal cases and labour queries for state bodies etc.

It really depends on where you end up- you could be incredibly lucky or incredibly unlucky.

Picture being an AO in Finance in the months and weeks coming up to budget time- the likelihood of flexible working conditions in such a high pressure environment/time delineated task orientated section- could be non-existent- whereas it could be quite broad at other times of the year.

It really depends on where you end up- and what you end up doing- but as a rule of thumb, the more senior the role, the less likely you are to have flexible work opportunities afforded to you.

Thanks again! That’s it, if it comes to a choice between the two, wondering whether hanging out at a lower grade for a couple of years might be worthwhile, or just take the higher grade and fit family and job commitments in like many many people probably manage to do quite well. The luck, good or bad, of the placement you get seems to be the crucial point, whatever the grade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

Thanks again! That’s it, if it comes to a choice between the two, wondering whether hanging out at a lower grade for a couple of years might be worthwhile, or just take the higher grade and fit family and job commitments in like many many people probably manage to do quite well. The luck, good or bad, of the placement you get seems to be the crucial point, whatever the grade.

What I have seen in my Department is similar to what The Conductor said. In my division alone I know two AOs and their work schedules could not be more different. One works late most nights and is regularly travelling while the other works a standard 9 to 5 for the most part.

Depends entirely on where you land and also how much your AP/PO feels you can take on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Another consideration to throw in on top of this is the promotion path.

For AO, you can only be promoted to AP.
    If you go for EO, you can be promoted to HEO, AO or with a real stretch get to AP in one go.

In the first few years there isn't a huge difference between the AO and EO scale:
    AO: 33,053 – 35,546 – 36,257 – 39,378 – 43,372 - 46,412
    EO: 30,884 – 32,677 – 33,689 – 35,664 – 37,436 - 39,148

After two years as an EO, you're eligible for internal and interdepartmental competitions. If you can get HEO fairly quickly (and that would be a gamble) you'll get to point one at that scale which is 49,845.

You might be better to take EO, hang out there for a few years and take a gamble on getting to HEO in say three years if family stuff has eased up by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Pooling928

Nclan wrote: »
    Has anybody heard any updates from the Health panel??

Would be interested in hearing the latest news on this as well!

If you go for EO, you can be promoted to HEO, AO or with a real stretch get to AP in one go.

In the first few years there isn't a huge difference between the AO and EO scale:

After two years as an EO, you're eligible for internal and interdepartmental competitions. If you can get HEO fairly quickly (and that would be a gamble) you'll get to point one at that scale which is 49,845.

You might be better to take EO, hang out there for a few years and take a gamble on getting to HEO in say three years if family stuff has eased up by then.

Great points, definitely worth considering, thanks for that!

Take AO, could be another moratorium. As an AO you will get far better experience and opportunities than as an EO, and probably most HEOs too. CS staff here might comment on how many AOs they came across over the years who have been an AO for ten years or more... not many is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Longfordgal

Folks,
    Does anyone have an idea if there is scope to Work from Home in the AO role? Or perhaps each office has it's own policy on WFH? Any current AO's or new AO's throw any light on this for me? I live in the country and if I got a wfh role in Dublin I would accept (even if I was required for 1 day per week in the office)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Maelenn

Folks,
    Does anyone have an idea if there is scope to Work from Home in the AO role? Or perhaps each office has it's own policy on WFH? Any current AO's or new AO's throw any light on this for me? I live in the country and if I got a wfh role in Dublin I would accept (even if I was required for 1 day per week in the office)

From what my new department said, we will be working from home for now, but as soon as it’s safe to go back to the office, we’re expected to work full time in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DerastiS

Results are coming out for the AO ICT position in the Department of Social Protection. No joy for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mw163

DerastiS wrote: »
    Results are coming out for the AO ICT position in the Department of Social Protection. No joy for me!

Sorry to hear that - hard luck but there is the Revenue AO ICT coming up though

I did get on the panel for the AO ICT DSP one but im in the low 20's for my OOM.
    The first 10 people have been offered positions.

Anyone have any odea if I will ever be offered a rolewith that OOM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 don456

mw163 wrote: »
    I did get on the panel for the AO ICT DSP one but im in the low 20's for my OOM.
    The first 10 people have been offered positions.

Anyone have any odea if I will ever be offered a rolewith that OOM?

Congrats, did you have much IT experience for the role or a recent grad?It interesting to see what type of person gets roles. Unfortunately for me I didn't make the cut..

don456 wrote: »
    Congrats, did you have much IT experience for the role or a recent grad?It interesting to see what type of person gets roles. Unfortunately for me I didn't make the cut..
    Thanks mate - is it congrats though?!? I have no idea if I will ever be offered a job, or if it would take a year.....

I have some tech support experience and went back to college and graduated in 2020 in CS. Started an IT position in February, so not much IT experience tbh. I did have a lot of Team Leader experience, maybe that helped.

I wish you well in your career.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 V1llachamp89

Thanks mate - is it congrats though?!? I have no idea if I will ever be offered a job, or if it would take a year.....

I have some tech support experience and went back to college and graduated in 2020 in CS. Started an IT position in February, so not much IT experience tbh. I did have a lot of Team Leader experience, maybe that helped.

I wish you well in your career.

I joined the DSP last year in ict as HEO, was OOM 16 I believe. Was a civil service competition but keep the faith it's a good result

I joined the DSP last year in ict as HEO, was OOM 16 I believe. Was a civil service competition but keep the faith it's a good result
    Cheers I appreciate that!

How long before you were offered a role at OOM 16?

Cheers I appreciate that!

How long before you were offered a role at OOM 16?

I kind of new there was a good chance as PAS told me that the clearance would be in contact with me. So clearance came after the interview. What is your situation have PAS or the department say they will be in touch?

I kind of new there was a good chance as PAS told me that the clearance would be in contact with me. So clearance came after the interview. What is your situation have PAS or the department say they will be in touch?
    They said in the email that OOM 1-10 will be offered an immediate position and that I am on the panel. Nothing more.
    I suppose it depends on if they plan to create more roles anytime soon.
    Seems a long way off though, another 10 positions before they reach me!

They said in the email that OOM 1-10 will be offered an immediate position and that I am on the panel. Nothing more.
    I suppose it depends on if they plan to create more roles anytime soon.
    Seems a long way off though, another 10 positions before they reach me!

Such a shame, honestly I have no clue then when you could be called. Could be a couple of months I guess. There is always retirements / promotions so you may be in luck. The best thing you got out of this was experience if that's any consolidation

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭belgowho

Anyone have an idea or experience of how long it takes from reference check being complete to being assigned?

belgowho wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea or experience of how long it takes from reference check being complete to being assigned?

Reference check depends how quick and the quality of your reference. PAS were very picky for me by wanting character references. So I think it took around a week or so but I was on top of my referees to ensure there was minimal delays. After reference checks were complete it took a week until my department made contact to arrange a start date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭doc22

On public jobs the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission are looking for a fully qualified solicitor at Administrative Officer (Solicitor) level

Advertisement