Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

FE1Nov20 wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything more from DAC Beachcroft ?

Never heard anything either

• Registered Users Posts: 4 toby_mc

Hey guys, thought I would pop this in here. Legal check are doing an event with matheson, pinsent masons and arthur cox. During it they'll be talking about trying to build an international career as well as key commercial stories. After it there's a chance to talk to the grad recruitment team with any questions you have.

For some reasons I cant post the link but if you search 'Legal Check How to build an international legal career in Ireland — with Arthur Cox, Matheson, Pinsent Masons and BARBRI' it should pop up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

I get where you’re coming from, but I don’t think the 9-6 point is realistic. Other trainees don’t work longer because they want to. If you need to close a deal or have a court deadline to meet, you just need to get the work done end off. So, you can’t really say oh no I don’t want to do the same hours as everybody else. But tbh why should you get paid the same as everyone else and not pull your weight, like that’s your job at the end of the day. It’s not going to be crazy hours the whole time, but when it is, you just need to pull in with the rest of your team.

I don’t know enough about the WFH policy to really comment on it. But I think a big concern is that WFH may stunt the development of trainees and junior associates as they don’t have the same exposure to more senior lawyers to receive feedback and ask questions. However, maybe it was a bit controlling and not properly communicated idk.

The first paragraph sums it up basically. That's the attitude within these firms, that essentially you just have to suck up the long hours as a trainee. I was in a top 20 firm for my training, years ago at this stage, but it was known for not doing these crazy hours. There was an opportunity to not join the partnership rat race which essentially begins at trainee level. This would not have been possible in a big firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

The first paragraph sums it up basically. That's the attitude within these firms, that essentially you just have to suck up the long hours as a trainee. I was in a top 20 firm for my training, years ago at this stage, but it was known for not doing these crazy hours. There was an opportunity to not join the partnership rat race which essentially begins at trainee level. This would not have been possible in a big firm.

That hasn't been my experience at all tbh. I haven't once been asked to work late and I've been a trainee in a top 5 firm for almost 6 months now. Yes, you may be given X amount of tasks to complete by Y, but there would always be someone there to offer a hand if ever you felt overwhelmed.

Where do these horror stories come from? Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Are they working remotely at the moment?

Not sure, they were wfh a few months back to my knowledge as that office in Stoneybatter was not open (well, from what I could tell walking by and I emailed someone there about months ago about something). They are interviewing remotely but clerical officer work often involves stuff like handling post / invoices etc, so unless they have said it's 100% remote I would suspect some people could be going in even partially.

I'm sure if you get in touch they could illuminate matters, I don't know anyone who works there personally to ask otherwise I would! :)

Also the Legal Cheek link as I have a 11 year old account so I am now trusted to post links

https://www.legalcheek.com/event/how-to-build-an-international-legal-career-in-ireland-with-arthur-cox-barbri-matheson-and-pinsent-masons/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭OMGWACA

Hey, has anyone heard anything back from any summer internship applications or still a bit early?

Did anyone interview with Kennedys?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

Just got Staines PFO.

Nothing from DAC Beachcroft yet.

Anyone hear anything from Matheson?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Has anyone here or know of anyone who has got an interview with staines or shields sadlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

channing90 wrote: »
    Has anyone here or know of anyone who has got an interview with staines or shields sadlier?

No. Haven’t heard at all from shields sadlier. Not even that they’ve received my application

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

What would the average trainee salary be for a medium sized firm?

Also didn’t hear anything back from DAC either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Nothing at all from Staines yet

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Nothing from Matheson yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lawgirl23

Nothing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

holliek wrote: »
    What would the average trainee salary be for a medium sized firm?

Also didn’t hear anything back from DAC either

Think around the 30,000 mark low 30s or so

• Registered Users Posts: 10 roisneesh

Nope nothing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 31 arubamuuu

OMGWACA wrote: »
    Hey, has anyone heard anything back from any summer internship applications or still a bit early?

WF said they are planning to reply by the end of this week and that it’s most likely going to be a virtual internship 2-3 weeks long

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭law987

I wonder will most revert to virtual internships now..

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Hopefully not, I can't imagine you'd learn a thing on a virtual internship tbh. Plus it wouldn't valued on a CV as highly I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Philip Lee interns atm are all working from home - not sure about summer interns tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

Is there any reason why Irish firms aren't like in the UK where they're open and transparent about trainee salary? It's utterly bizarre how you can apply for a TC with a firm in Dublin and have literally no idea what remuneration you could expect or if they'll cover Blackhall fees at all. It's not good for any candidate applying.

• Advertisement

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Hopefully not, I can't imagine you'd learn a thing on a virtual internship tbh. Plus it wouldn't valued on a CV as highly I'd imagine.

The alternative being they'd cancel the internships outright, which is not good for anyone. It's the best out of a bad situation really.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭agoodusername

The London firms have to legally put thier finances out in the open, while only one of the bigger Irish firms tells us anything. I imagine that by publishing revenue and profits, publishing salaries isn't that big a deal.

It would end up costing the Irish firms more in the long run if they did make it public anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LLBatman

OMGWACA wrote: »

McCann Interview offers for summer internship out today

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LegalEagle21

Anyone hear anything from DAC Beachcroft?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

PFOs out for McCann Fitz internships :(

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

No word.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Fe1forthefun

No! Weird that only one person in this thread has been contacted by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭AA247

Interviews out for Matheson!

Interview offers out for Matheson :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 biglawhead420

Matheson TC or internship?

Advertisement