Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭AA247

Anyone else having issues with DLA Piper internship link?

Anyone else a bit older and put off by ALG requirement that one reference is academic? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Kennedys TC PFO issued this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

lawgrad15 wrote: »
    Kennedys TC PFO issued this morning

Same. I’m feeling somewhat hopeless with getting a TC

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AaronSamms

Got a call for interview for DAC Beachcroft this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 LegalEagle21

AaronSamms wrote: »

Congratulations. Do you mind me asking when the interview is scheduled for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

Anyone else a bit older and put off by ALG requirement that one reference is academic? :/

Pretty sure most people applying are still in college, that must be why.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Yeah put me off applying - out of college two years and my lecturers would not know me at all

Yeah put me off applying - out of college two years and my lecturers would not know me at all

I would reach out to your college tutor/dissertation supervisor as they get lots of requests.

I would reach out to your college tutor/dissertation supervisor as they get lots of requests.

I didn’t have a college tutor per say - had a few over the years but only had four classes with them and they’re long gone from the college and we didn’t have to do a dissertation so don’t have a supervisor hahah

Also I was a tutor last year in the college and if one of those asked me for a reference I’d say no because I honestly don’t know them haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 FE.ONE

Congrats! Is there no online assessment then?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Exact same situation as you. I was also fairly quiet in a class of 150+ so it's not even worth my while asking an old lecturer who doesn't know me from Adam.

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Exact same situation as you. I was also fairly quiet in a class of 150+ so it's not even worth my while asking an old lecturer who doesn't know me from Adam.

Yeah exactly haha I did have one lecturer as a reference before but like he wouldn’t know me at all even after I asked him haha

I was more a go to class and leave person I didn’t stick around to talk to them 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tippertruck

Congrats! Can I ask did you apply for the 2021 or the 2022 traineeship?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 arubamuuu

Yeah exactly haha I did have one lecturer as a reference before but like he wouldn’t know me at all even after I asked him haha

I was more a go to class and leave person I didn’t stick around to talk to them 😂

One of my lecturers a few years ago said all they really do for those references is confirm your grades. Whether that’s true or not idk but that’s what he told our class of 60ish people. Probably if you helped them with events and stuff they’d say more about you.

I haven’t been in college for a few years but I asked the head of my course even though I only had them for two classes about 4 years ago. They said they’d do it and just for me to send them a cv so they know who they’re talking about lol

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

arubamuuu wrote: »
    One of my lecturers a few years ago said all they really do for those references is confirm your grades. Whether that’s true or not idk but that’s what he told our class of 60ish people. Probably if you helped them with events and stuff they’d say more about you.

I haven’t been in college for a few years but I asked the head of my course even though I only had them for two classes about 4 years ago. They said they’d do it and just for me to send them a cv so they know who they’re talking about lol

Exactly, if you have one lecturer who you remember as sound they'll do it for you. There's a lecturer I have who said he'll write a reference for anyone, sign any document you want signed, he will even just sign his name on one you've drafted yourself - just give him one week's notice!

Also for those looking at legal admin work, maybe just to get something more office-y on their CV (rather than work for free!) the LSRA are hiring Clerical Officers right now. A job like that was basically how I got my foot in the door for legal work and just parlaying myself into a more legal role.

The LSRA is obviously very new, it's growing in size and certainly working there would be a great chance to build those sectoral awareness skills! If knew anyone who was starting out I would recommend them to apply so I figured I would drop it in here -

https://www.lsra.ie/about-us/careers/

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Exactly, if you have one lecturer who you remember as sound they'll do it for you. There's a lecturer I have who said he'll write a reference for anyone, sign any document you want signed, he will even just sign his name on one you've drafted yourself - just give him one week's notice!

Also for those looking at legal admin work, maybe just to get something more office-y on their CV (rather than work for free!) the LSRA are hiring Clerical Officers right now. A job like that was basically how I got my foot in the door for legal work and just parlaying myself into a more legal role.

The LSRA is obviously very new, it's growing in size and certainly working there would be a great chance to build those sectoral awareness skills! If knew anyone who was starting out I would recommend them to apply so I figured I would drop it in here -

Are they working remotely at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LeGal97

This is so helpful, thanks a million for posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Fe1forthefun

I was going to use two work referees as I am out of university a good few years. Has anyone ever done this where it specified academic referee?

I wouldn't worry about the academic reference. I did an internship with one of the big five before and the references were just to confirm that you attended there. It was more of a formality than actual personal or competency reference.

Sorry I asked already but didn't see a response, did anyone else get an error when they click on the link to the application for DLA Piper? Are they no longer accepting intern applications?

I haven't been able to find a contact in graduate recruitment, or anyone in recruitment for that matter to enquire.

• Advertisement

Also can anyone confirm that ALG's deadline is midnight tomorrow?

I could finish by midnight tonight but my brain is dead so wouldn't mind calling it a night :pac:

I must say it is slightly relieving to see that some of you are out of university a few years! I am in the same boat and have really been down in the dumps over all the rejections the past few months as I thought I had a good shot this year.

Genuinely thought I was one of the only ones graduated a few years......

Anyway enough of the post puke :)

AA247 wrote: »
    I must say it is slightly relieving to see that some of you are out of university a few years! I am in the same boat and have really been down in the dumps over all the rejections the past few months as I thought I had a good shot this year.

Genuinely thought I was one of the only ones graduated a few years......

Anyway enough of the post puke :)

Users here definitely skews a bit older.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Also can anyone confirm that ALG's deadline is midnight tomorrow?

I could finish by midnight tonight but my brain is dead so wouldn't mind calling it a night :pac:

10 Feb 2021 23:55 GMT

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭OMGWACA

Is anyone interviewing with Kennedys?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭T.Chunter164

I sat 2 FE1's in November, EU and Equity and passed both, but when I want to put the details in for the A&L application - it will only allow me to input 3 results otherwise it comes up as 'incomplete section' - anyone know why that is? do you need 3 fe1's complete at minimum?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭T.Chunter164

I wouldn't worry about the academic reference. I did an internship with one of the big five before and the references were just to confirm that you attended there. It was more of a formality than actual personal or competency reference.

Sorry I asked already but didn't see a response, did anyone else get an error when they click on the link to the application for DLA Piper? Are they no longer accepting intern applications?

I haven't been able to find a contact in graduate recruitment, or anyone in recruitment for that matter to enquire.

Hi same thing happened to me - from what I know, its an expired link, the link for 2021 works perfectly for me. Go through their website or pop in '2021 DLA summer internship' and it should come up.

I sat 2 FE1's in November, EU and Equity and passed both, but when I want to put the details in for the A&L application - it will only allow me to input 3 results otherwise it comes up as 'incomplete section' - anyone know why that is? do you need 3 fe1's complete at minimum?

You don't need any Fe1s completed. It's just a technical hitch on their part. I was in the same position and I just typed 'N/A' for the last one.

This DLA Piper application's education section is so not tailored to Irish education. It says to include education back as far as A-Levels but you can't put in your Leaving Certificate results as only options are Year 1 - percentage, Year 2 - percentage, and so forth.

What are people doing for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Fe1forthefun

Have any of you tried resetting your password for DLA Piper and are now unable to access your account?

Advertisement