Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lawgirl23

AaronSamms wrote: »
    Got a call for interview for DAC Beachcroft this morning!

Did anybody else hear anything from DAC Beachcroft? I haven’t heard yet so guessing maybe that’s not good news...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Fe1forthefun

lawgirl23 wrote: »
    Did anybody else hear anything from DAC Beachcroft? I haven’t heard yet so guessing maybe that’s not good news...

No heard nothing. I only did my video interview over the weekend though.

How do you translate leaving cert points into UCAS points? I'm seeing conflicting information online. A lot of it refers you to look at the policy of the university and then the policies specify how many subjects you should include - usually 4 or 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 roisneesh

I haven't heard anything yet either

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Legalapples

I haven't heard either, did mine last Friday ... maybe there's still hope ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fe1123

I haven’t heard anything either, I also did it on Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 FE1Nov20

Haven’t heard anything yet either

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    Would anyone have any tips on applications in general/what to include in a cover letter to some smaller firms?

I have 7 FE1's passed and sat my last in the recent sitting, a high 2:1 undergrad, decent LC results, and some work experience working as a legal assistant but still no luck thus far in any of the milkrounds with some of the bigger firms. I thought my applications were decent, considering the little information some of them allow you to provide.

Really contemplating sending out cover letters/CV's to some local firms and offering to work for free in the hope they might take me on as a trainee for the 2021 intake...

If you have the means to do so, Law Hero on YouTube reviews CVs and Cover Letters for a fee and will edit them for you/provide feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Also didn't hear anything from DAC Beachcroft

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Any anyone secured an interview with MJ Staines or got a recent POF?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Strange that nobody has heard anything from MJ Staines other than a few PFOs 2 weeks ago. I didn't get any feedback off them and don't expect any

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 FE1Nov20

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Strange that nobody has heard anything from MJ Staines other than a few PFOs 2 weeks ago. I didn't get any feedback off them and don't expect any

Yeah i called them last week for an update and was told that they would probably be in touch sometime this week but still nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

If you have the means to do so, Law Hero on YouTube reviews CVs and Cover Letters for a fee and will edit them for you/provide feedback.

I wouldn’t do this. Her exam notes have been widely criticised on here. Also there’s already too much online. Lots of law bloggers from the UK on YouTube etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

I wouldn’t do this. Her exam notes have been widely criticised on here. Also there’s already too much online. Lots of law bloggers from the UK on YouTube etc.

Agreed. I had someone on the facebook group give out her Tort notes last year for free as she charged 50 and I found them absolutely useless. I've also heard from countless people than her EU notes were riddled with spelling errors too.

Charging 50 a piece for bare bones notes, when most people sell all their materials for around 40, and then charging 100 euro for some basic CV advice seems very exploitative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

You shouldn't be paying someone to do a cover letter for you. There's plenty of resources online and it's totally unnecessary. If you're still in college there's careers advisors that can look at your application for you. Same with CV.

There's a massive money racket with the Fe1s and Milkrounds and people getting taken advantage of.

Agreed the exam notes I saw were not sufficient for the Fe1.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Corplawtrainee

Completely agree, the notes and the Milkround Mastery gimmick is literally just ripping off desperate law students. Also, some of the application/advice advice on her YouTube vids is a bit questionable imo.

I personally thought that the free resources on the Corporate Law Academy were really high quality and probably more useful than anything you’d get paying on law hero. I mainly used UK resources when applying and preparing for interviews, the process London is pitched at a higher level, so found that I was more than prepared when interviewing at the big 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Corplawtrainee

Completely agree, the notes and the Milkround Mastery gimmick is literally just ripping off desperate law students. Also, some of the application/advice advice on her YouTube vids is a bit questionable imo.

I personally thought that the free resources on the Corporate Law Academy were really high quality and probably more useful than anything you’d get paying on law hero. I mainly used UK resources when applying and preparing for interviews, the process London is pitched at a higher level, so found that I was more than prepared when interviewing at the big 5.

Here are a few websites/blogs that I found useful when applying;

The Corporate Law Academy - the weekly newsletter is particularly good for commercial awareness for interviews.
    Apply.Shine.Win;
    Watson’s Daily;
    Commercial Law School

Aspiring Solicitors is a UK social mobility organisation that provide assistance and resources to applicants from under represented backgrounds in the law. They also assist members who are trying to qualify as a solicitor in Ireland. If you’re eligible to become a member, I’d sign up. I ended up doing a few mock interviews with them which I found very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭AA247

wow that last A&L Goodbody test with remember where the dots were was hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

AA247 wrote: »
    wow that last A&L Goodbody test with remember where the dots were was hard!

I wouldn't worry too much about the tests. They're just looking for you to hit a minimum benchmark, that's all.

Anyone hear back from Shields Sadleir?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

able1 wrote: »
    Anyone hear back from Shields Sadleir?

No I never did

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

Hi folks, got a email from a HR Manager in a medium sized commercial firm that I sent a CV over to re a traineeship, and they are looking to schedule an online call next week. Does anyone have any experiences with these and what to expect? I assume it’s just a screening call with a possible view to putting me forward for an interview with partners of the firm?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

neon123 wrote: »
    Hi folks, got a email from a HR Manager in a medium sized commercial firm that I sent a CV over to re a traineeship, and they are looking to schedule an online call next week. Does anyone have any experiences with these and what to expect? I assume it’s just a screening call with a possible view to putting me forward for an interview with partners of the firm?

did you reach out to them or was there a traineeship advertised that you were responding to?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

neon123 wrote: »

I’d email them to ask for more info like who the call will be with because it’s unlikely to just be a screening call it could be a full interview so you don’t want to get caught out !!

But other than that it’s just like a normal interview so dress appropriately and be on the online call on time !

awsah wrote: »
    did you reach out to them or was there a traineeship advertised that you were responding to?

I know a Solicitor in the firm from working in my last job and reached out to him, so he made a referral for me.

I’d email them to ask for more info like who the call will be with because it’s unlikely to just be a screening call it could be a full interview so you don’t want to get caught out !!

But other than that it’s just like a normal interview so dress appropriately and be on the online call on time !

Great, thanks for those pointers! Got the email late this afternoon so will reply tomorrow asking who it's with and what to expect. It's my first call for a traineeship so just not sure if they are generally just a chat to get to know you or more competency based, or perhaps both!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ACGrad2023

Don't waste your money on this. Send your CV and cover letter to friends and compare. The CV template your using can make a big difference. You don't need to pay for a good one you can find good ones online for free or get one off a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fe179user

Hi looking for some advice.

I interviewed with one of the big 5 in March 2020 for their internship programme. I scored 18/20 in the interview meaning I would have been offered a place on their internship programme in normal circumstances. I was offered automatic interview instead for either traineeship or internship programme. I chose a traineeship interview and didn’t get past even the first stage of interviews (group interview is stage one and individual is stage two). I was so disappointed and very upset after this because I felt like I really fit in with this firm and I am desperate for a trainee contract (graduated in 2020 and have passed some FE1s).

Should I apply for their internship to get my foot back in the door with the firm? I am embarrassed to apply (as stupid as that sounds) partly because I’m annoyed that I messed up the last interview and partly because I’m annoyed how they handled those who passed the internship the last time I.e. they should have postponed it until this summer or held it virtually.

Can anyone give me a second opinion on what I should do? I was hoping on getting offered a traineeship following that internship so I would be sorted going into my masters and just get the FE1s done. But now I am so lost and quite worried because I’m almost 23 and have no trainee contract.

Fe179user wrote: »

I interviewed with one of the big 5 in March 2020 for their internship programme. I scored 18/20 in the interview meaning I would have been offered a place on their internship programme in normal circumstances. I was offered automatic interview instead for either traineeship or internship programme. I chose a traineeship interview and didn’t get past even the first stage of interviews (group interview is stage one and individual is stage two). I was so disappointed and very upset after this because I felt like I really fit in with this firm and I am desperate for a trainee contract (graduated in 2020 and have passed some FE1s).

Should I apply for their internship to get my foot back in the door with the firm? I am embarrassed to apply (as stupid as that sounds) partly because I’m annoyed that I messed up the last interview and partly because I’m annoyed how they handled those who passed the internship the last time I.e. they should have postponed it until this summer or held it virtually.

Can anyone give me a second opinion on what I should do? I was hoping on getting offered a traineeship following that internship so I would be sorted going into my masters and just get the FE1s done. But now I am so lost and quite worried because I’m almost 23 and have no trainee contract.

Definitely apply for the summer internship again.

I'm in my mid to late twenties and have no training contact! Don't worry about it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭AA247

Fe179user wrote: »

I wouldn’t worry I’m almost 25 with no training contract - it’s a cruel game :)

Don’t be embarrassed at all, worst thing to do is sit back. Mistake I made was not applying to firms that I previously hadn’t got interviews with because at that point they were only offering TCs for 3 years in advance and I wanted to start sooner. 2 years later I still haven’t got one, so really by not applying I’ve just made it harder. Don’t limit your options.

Advertisement