Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

Congrats on the offer!

Thanks, don't give up hope if it's been a bit longer than you'd expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 blondie8856

NewFe1 wrote: »
    Thanks, don't give up hope if it's been a bit longer than you'd expected!

Thank you! Hoping that there is just a delay with the recent interviews. Would love to be in your position!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LeGal97

Is there anything really pressing those interviewing next week should be aware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

LeGal97 wrote: »
    Is there anything really pressing those interviewing next week should be aware of?

Which firm are you applying for? Go onto their website and read a few of their recent articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LegalEagle21

AaronSamms wrote: »
    Got a call for interview for DAC Beachcroft this morning!

Have you had your interview with them yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

Is this about William Fry? They'll just go over your application and perhaps a commercial awareness question, at least that was my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gamma_squeeze

Any idea on when to expect A&L and AC?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Hi I applied to 8 internships with the big firms for this summer, and I've gotten 3/3 PFOs back. I'm fully expecting 8/8 and threw my name in the hat on the off chance that I'd get an interview, just even in a worst case scenario I'd get that experience and possibly some honest feedback.

My grades are definitely holding me back and I'd imagine I'm being ruled out from the offset with a 3:1. Is there any point in me trying to get a TC in any of these firms? Most small firms don't take on trainees in my area and I don't know of any in Galway which is nearby.

If anyone has any advice at all that would be great. I feel like a hopeless case tbh. There is nothing I can do about previous grades and it's kind of a bummer that marks from exams I sat 5 years ago are biting me on the bum now as firms see it as a reflection of who I am today.

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Hi I applied to 8 internships with the big firms for this summer, and I've gotten 3/3 PFOs back. I'm fully expecting 8/8 and threw my name in the hat on the off chance that I'd get an interview, just even in a worst case scenario I'd get that experience and possibly some honest feedback.

My grades are definitely holding me back and I'd imagine I'm being ruled out from the offset with a 3:1. Is there any point in me trying to get a TC in any of these firms? Most small firms don't take on trainees in my area and I don't know of any in Galway which is nearby.

If anyone has any advice at all that would be great. I feel like a hopeless case tbh. There is nothing I can do about previous grades and it's kind of a bummer that marks from exams I sat 5 years ago are biting me on the bum now as firms see it as a reflection of who I am today.

Unfortunately yes, you will be ruled out due to your exam results. Have you considered a master's?

The best way to offset weak undergraduate results is through a combination of a master's/good work experience.

You will probably need to move to Dublin and find a new job, then leap from firm to firm as you move up the ladder until you eventually get a foot in the door of one of the top 5 firms.

Hi. I know its tough but unfortunately I do feel that what's holding you back. I got a high 2.1 and 500+ points and I am out of college, and its only now I am getting interviews for internships (rejections for the traineeships in 2020 that I did apply for). I got rejections the last two years of my degree, despite doing the soc work, having a good part-time job etc and "ticking all the boxes" as a recruiter said.

It is so competitive, especially this year. AC said they got the highest amount of applications on record. I know I'll have to work that bit harder to sell myself, and I've definitely used the ACCESS scheme to my advantage to do this. Its tough right now as with the pandemic there are no jobs going and you can't even offer to work for free. I would say that's your best bet though- getting good experience that will speak volumes more than your grades. Even if it takes that bit longer, it will be worth it.

The Law Society are running a seminar on finding a training contract on the 1st March, and its free of charge. I've signed up to it. If you google it it should come up, it might provide you with some tips. In the meantime, keep a staunch eye on indeed and when the restrictions are eased you could start reaching out to some local firms and those further afield. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Hi. I know its tough but unfortunately I do feel that what's holding you back. I got a high 2.1 and 500+ points and I am out of college, and its only now I am getting interviews for internships (rejections for the traineeships in 2020 that I did apply for). I got rejections the last two years of my degree, despite doing the soc work, having a good part-time job etc and "ticking all the boxes" as a recruiter said.

It is so competitive, especially this year. AC said they got the highest amount of applications on record. I know I'll have to work that bit harder to sell myself, and I've definitely used the ACCESS scheme to my advantage to do this. Its tough right now as with the pandemic there are no jobs going and you can't even offer to work for free. I would say that's your best bet though- getting good experience that will speak volumes more than your grades. Even if it takes that bit longer, it will be worth it.

The Law Society are running a seminar on finding a training contract on the 1st March, and its free of charge. I've signed up to it. If you google it it should come up, it might provide you with some tips. In the meantime, keep a staunch eye on indeed and when the restrictions are eased you could start reaching out to some local firms and those further afield. Good luck!

Can I ask what you mean by using the access scheme to your advantage ? Do you mean the LS access scheme and the fact that you will get fees paid for you ?

I’m a former access student in college so just curious !!

Can I ask what you mean by using the access scheme to your advantage ? Do you mean the LS access scheme and the fact that you will get fees paid for you ?

I’m a former access student in college so just curious !!

Yeah, not even so much for fees but just that it ensures I am a step closer to reaching my goals etc

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Yeah, not even so much for fees but just that it ensures I am a step closer to reaching my goals etc

Ah okay !! I saw for the first time Matheson asks if you were part of the hear scheme and such in college

The LS access scheme seems great !

When do applications for the LS Access scheme open?

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Unfortunately yes, you will be ruled out due to your exam results. Have you considered a master's?

The best way to offset weak undergraduate results is through a combination of a master's/good work experience.

You will probably need to move to Dublin and find a new job, then leap from firm to firm as you move up the ladder until you eventually get a foot in the door of one of the top 5 firms.

From what I've heard a masters is fairly pointless in this field. I don't want to get a TC in the top 5 or nothing, if you get me. I just used those as an example, I know myself I'm not getting in there and to be honest the things I've heard about the bad work-life balance I would much prefer a smaller/medium firm in somewhere like Galway. The internships as I said were just a stab in the dark so I could add to my CV

May I ask, as a fellow Access student, how you used this to your advantage?

Thank you for the advice I will keep an eye out for this seminar!

From what I've heard a masters is fairly pointless in this field. I don't want to get a TC in the top 5 or nothing, if you get me. I just used those as an example, I know myself I'm not getting in there and to be honest the things I've heard about the bad work-life balance I would much prefer a smaller/medium firm in somewhere like Galway. The internships as I said were just a stab in the dark so I could add to my CV

I got my internship in RDJ due to my master's so it depends. Their office in Galway is quite small but they'd probably be the only big firm in Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Al1501

Has anyone received their link to the Matheson internship interview yet? It's meant to come today, but mine hasn't arrived yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Shylawgirl

Al1501 wrote: »
    Has anyone received their link to the Matheson internship interview yet? It's meant to come today, but mine hasn't arrived yet.

Just got mine

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Al1501

Shylawgirl wrote: »
    Just got mine

Thanks, just got mine as well. Best of luck in the interview! :)

• Advertisement

Sigh...DLA Piper PFOs out

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Fe1forthefun

Oops. I haven't even done my Watson Glaser test yet.

Oops. I haven't even done my Watson Glaser test yet.

The application deadline was the 12th of Feb, but I'm not sure if you got extra time to do the Watson Glaser Test

Shylawgirl wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips for matheson summer interviews? And know how many people they interview versus how many people get offers?

Thank you

If I remember correctly, about a thousand people apply, and 40 positions available. Very competitive so even getting an interview is an achievement. Pretty consistent across big 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Fe1forthefun

The application deadline was the 12th of Feb, but I'm not sure if you got extra time to do the Watson Glaser Test

Yeah until the 26th Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

I haven't heard anything from them yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

What day does everyone have their Matheson interviews? Is anyone interviewing today? How did it go?
    If I remember correctly, about a thousand people apply, and 40 positions available. Very competitive so even getting an interview is an achievement. Pretty consistent across big 5.

Any idea how many they interview for the training contract and how many places are available?

I haven't heard anything from them yet?

I applied around the 11th (I think?) so quite early, maybe that's why

What day does everyone have their Matheson interviews? Is anyone interviewing today? How did it go?

Any idea how many they interview for the training contract and how many places are available?

Similar numbers apply for TC. I could be wrong, but Matheson takes on 30-40 trainees a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Shylawgirl

How many people get offered matheson interviews typically?

Advertisement