Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭914

Mayo has an extra 30k population, the majority of Waterfords 100k population are located in and around the city 60-70k within 10k of the city.

GAA in Waterford has a lot of competition from other sports which would also have an impact (especially in the city and Tramore). All you need to do is look at the amount of members per club and attendance at club games to see there isn't a huge core support for hurling in the county.

90s and 00s we saw a large increase in support as a lot of the new support loved the "day out", "the bus to thurles for cans", 4 or maybe five championship games a year during a Celtic tiger and tickets at a reasonable cost.

Pre that burst of support in the late 90s and 00s Waterford following was fairly small, probably similar to now, I'd imagine we have more now as we are competitive.

This is why I always chuckled when I heard people requesting a 20-30k seating stadium in Waterford.

Even under Cahill, tickets were floating around pre both home championship games.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Montys return

Support for the county is small but that's absolute horseshit about 2019 v Clare.

Why would you make that up?

And the attendance was 11,012 of a capacity of 11,046. Not full, yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cbwfd

Definitely some good points made here. Attendance issues are not unique to us but are a wider GAA issue. Talking about the late 90s and 00s reminds me how much I really dislike the new championship format. Yes it hasn't suited Waterford but regardless for me I find championship games in April/May compared to the days out in Thurles/Cork for real knock out Munster Championship in the heat of June/July is no comparison. If you lost then you were off to the qualifiers which in its own way was a unique journey at times but also a great chance for a building team to get a bit of momentum and that often suited us.

Also the new system means championship games for us against the likes of Galway/Wexford/Kilkenny etc. are much less likely to happen year on year now which inevitably leads to the same old line ups getting stale. I understand the split season benefits for club players but not sure it should be to the detriment of our flagship championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Yeah there were tickets online for the home games the year we won the league, that was the year when Waterford were the ones that were going to challenge Limerick for the All Ireland so if they were available that year I imagine they will be this year.

With regard to Mayo, not sure if it's included in their population but they have a lot of people living in Dublin so that adds to their core attendance as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

Very good points made here

Waterford has a population of close to 130,000 currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,793 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

TICKET UPDATE

Munster Senior Hurling Championship Round 1

A limited number of stand and terrace tickets for CLG Port Lairge - Waterford GAA v Cork GAA on Sunday April 21st in Walsh Park Waterford will go on sale at 3pm today (Friday) while stocks last via http://gaa.ie/tickets and participating Centra and Supervalu outlets

https://munster.gaa.ie/event/2024-munster-senior-hurling-championship-waterford-v-cork/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Those population numbers near the stadium are huge. Has to be taken advantage of more. Most Munster counties have all the sports under the sun competing for audiences. County Board needs to set targets and meet them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

easily done, setup corporate packages, go to a business in the estate, sell them 300 tickets, they get lunch in the viking minibus back and forth, own section charge 60 a ticket, can split between m,ultiple businesses do ti every home game

So the county board sells a business 300 tickets at €60, €30 for the match day ticket, leaves €30 for the meal and minibus round trip.

How would they make any extra money out of that?

Maybe they make €3000, €30 ticket, €15 meal, €5 for the bus, tenner profit.

If employees of the business had to pay, I couldn't see anyone spending €60 unless you mean the business covers the full cost of €18,000!

business can write against tax so it doesnt cost them as much , they get to treat their suppliers their staff etc. corporate packages are common in professional sports why not in GAA ?

• Advertisement

Season ticket supporters from both counties would fill the covered stand so a corporate package to allow people to sit in the rain possibly!

"corporate packages are common in professional sports why not in GAA ?"

GAA is not professional!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭siyo

Far from "horseshit" , I was at it, I have two eyes, plenty of empty spaces in the stand that day.

The empty seats and space on the terraces was due to health and safety concerns.

As the seats were one single row stand capacity was cut, that has changed now due to the bucket seats

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

It was time for new blood 20 years ago, nothing ever changes in Waterford. We have a crisis in underage hurling and no one is even discussing it as evidenced by this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

No one is discussing it? It’s one of the most regular topics of discussion in here.

As for time for change at board level, the current chair has been our most progressive in a long time. Paddy Joe and Tom Cunningham for all their endeavours were not fit for purpose in the past. We have a full time secretary in place with a long time, you could maybe make a case for a change there. I think the recent change in the treasurer role could be a positive as new blood was required.
    I believe Seán Michael’s term ends at the end of this year. As far as I know clubs would be free to nominate someone for the position should they feel they could bring the county forward ala Michael Duignan in Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭decies

so did many snap up tickets yesterday for our Munster championship opener ?

The capacity has already been explained.

On Clare outnumbering Waterford, below is a link to watch the match. I'll leave it here and let anyone that wants to make up there own mind on the split in attendance based on the colours behind both goals.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N6NoB1koCrU&t=362s&pp=ygUUQ2xhcmUgd2F0ZXJmb3JkIDIwMTk%3D#dialog

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Pudz2180

I know the reasons (Davy factor) behind the small uptake of tickets from our side for the match next weekend but from a players point of view it must be disheartening to see reports of all those tickets coming back from the clubs in the county and knowing that when they hit the sod next weekend for their “home” game against cork it will actually feel like an away game with the cork crowd outnumbering ourselves. All a bit sad really. Hopefully the few of us that are there can make enough noise to drive the players on

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭waterfordgirl

I got mine yesterday - wasnt expecting them on sale this far ahead so thanks to the poster here who shared.

Glad I have my ticket, but feeling apprehensive about how it'll go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

if anything the small ticket uptake should spur the players on. Certainly it’s the type of fuel that Davy goes on.
    People are voting with their feet based on performance and results over the past 12/18 months and let’s be honest, who could blame them. But if the players really feel that these performances haven’t done them justice then it’s now or never to step up. It shouldn’t be forgotten how Cork came down and bullied us out of it in Walsh Park 2 years ago on the day the wheels came off for Liam Cahill. There should be no shortage of motivation and if there’s anything left in this team we’ll see it next week

• Advertisement

This Munster campaign should be the dream campaign for any Waterford manager.

First two games of the campaign at home and those games against Cork and Tipp and a rest week between them.

We couldn't possibly ask for a better advantage. Two home games in three weeks where you treat both as All Ireland Finals, win both and you are as good as getting out of Munster.

When you look at Munster as present you would have to say Limerick and Clare are 1 and 2, with the other three fighting it out and we have two of those teams at home.

Granted its Munster championship and anything can happen, but honestly this has to be our best shot at getting out of Munster, no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

well said, but this is the same gobdaw who struggled with a start in the league against dublin antrim and laois last yeat,and aussie had to bail him out 3 times while injured

Maybe something our CB should look at for inspiration

Ye imagine €195 for Walsh Park!

Match day ticket

Live punditry with Kieran O Conner

Delicious Ham Samdo's

Complimentary Dutch gold from 4

Access to the unused dressing rooms at the centre of the stand

Match day programme

195 euro for some finger food, a few pints and Mark Landers talking about horses?

What a bargain

More on about the 'ideas of these type of events' to generate income since we can't have concerts etc in Walsh Park

Cork and Kilkenny county boards not too mention Croke Park getting a nice payday in a month's time and beyond

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

pure mule stuff , its 2005 all over again the boom is back , 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

your league campaign was excellent despite all the injuries , pushed both clare and kilkenny all the way the team ye have is fine the only worry is the man on the line with his two sweepers , 3 fingers in the air for a puck out and four fingers up his arse for piles ….

if the current minor management get the next senior job waterford hurling will drastically improve , but ye wont be far off if fitz lets ye play

• Advertisement

Match day events won't add a whole lot to the pot. It's events away from match days that will generate the most income as in, supporters memberships, house draws, sponsorship etc

Concerts would be nice but they wouldn't be ran by the county board (as they would lose their balls on it) so the income would be for use of the venue.

Generally external music promoters organise the festival/event and ticket sales go to the performer, health and safety, security, staff, drinks license etc and the county ground would get a hosting/rental fee most likely.

It's easy saying let's get concerts but music promoters would want to come here and the names would need to be relatively big and events would need to be backed.

We see plenty other GAA venues capable of holding concerts that don't, so I don't think it's as easier as it may sound.

Look at day tripper as an example in Waterford, it's no more as it started losing money and that had some decent acts and still wasn't supported.

Smallish capacity in Walsh Park means smaller/older acts as more in demand acts would cost considerably more.

Advertisement