Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

the result of this one could be scarey….😡

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Last year, out of twelve games across senior, U20 and minor (4 each in Munster) we won one (Tipp in senior) and lost 11. Looks like we're on track for the clean sweep 12/12 this year!

I'd say we'd be doing well and considerate it an improvement to win more than 2 or 3 games out of the 12 this year. Depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,878 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

That is depressing (in sporting terms) and will be made worse if this Under 20 squad fails given Kens passionate comments last year that may of contributed to getting the gig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Anyonr play well in the minor?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

I understand your pessimism, but we’ve literally played one of the 12 games, away to the All Ireland champions.

As has been pointed out, hopes weren’t huge for this group of minors and they’ve gone with a younger squad with a view to next year. Saying that winning one game could be enough to make the All Ireland series in the revised format and the increased exposure could only be beneficial. Getting into that series has to be the aim.

U20 again is a young panel, notable forwards missing from the minor group that did relatively well so I wouldn’t be overly hopeful of emerging from the group here. Hopefully a few can put their hand up for a place on the senior panel in the coming years and we can be competitive in games. I know little about this Cork group but given their recent success at underage it would be hard not to be fearful going into tonight.

The senior has been discussed in detail. Hopefully that players meeting can see us bring a little more freedom to our play. It’s a pity we’ve wasted so long playing the way we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭seananigans

PL 0-05 Corcaigh 0-14 Leath áma

Just found game on Gaa beo…..9 pts down at half time playing with the wind ffs…..unfortunately this looks like another heavy defeat…😡😡

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Ian OB

Tis looking bleak tonight. 9 points down @ ½ time and playing into the wind in the 2nd ½

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Montys return

Clearly playing against the wind 1st half, don't know what yer watching!!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭JD. 60

With 5 minutes to go, it's a very poor start to the dream team management. Playing second fiddle throughout. Plenty of aimless hurling and misplaced passes, even allowing for the conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭siyo

This must be what the 80s and parts of the 90s felt like.

On the management team, I do feel it's hard to drop a coaching group in together at this age group and expect results. The work with this group should be done in the last 5-6 years.

some of the decision making as they approached the half forward line was u10 standard……how many scores from play did they get….2/3……the late goal took some of the bad look off the final score. Cork didn’t look to great either up front. Another team could really go to town on these lads…..hope I’m wrong of course…….three more matches to make amends…..coupled with last nights defeat an overall bad week yet again for W’ford Gaa…..footballers face Tipperary tomorrow…..could they swing a surprise…?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

ok. Apologies. Could have sworn I heard it was on tomorrow afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭5948ai

The worrying thing is that this has been a trend for a few years now. You would really be concerned about what's in store with the senior team for the next 5 to 10 years. It could be a tough watch after all the false dawns over the last 10 to 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

It’s depressing how far back we’ve fallen at underage. We’re well off the pace and have been with a few years and it’s looking that way for some years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Brian Flannery said last year that we're in an underage crisis. And that is the term that should be used. We're the 5th county in Munster by a distance.

That can be turned around though. It takes structures, forward thinking, leadership along with hard work and resources. Ironically we even have a development plan devised but I'm not sure how much if any of it has been enacted.

I think a lot has been put in place but it takes time to see these players come through as they have to be exposed to the proper training, s&c, nutrition etc from a young age and there has to be a consistency with that. Joey Doherty does seem to be doing good work leading the s&c programme. It all takes time and realistically the vast majority of counties are doing the same as us with their groups too, possibly more.

I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but we lost to the All Ireland champions on both occasions this week. I actually expected worse from last night, especially after watching the first half. I do think the ref did his best to keep us in the game. We got some very soft frees once it was clear Cork were going to dominate and as mentioned the late goal is somewhat deceptive too.

I do think it is too early to be looking at Ken for the senior job though. Great he has stepped up to the plate here and now we need to let him learn and hopefully show what he can do over a few years. Same way with Joxer with the minors. Hopefully there is a succession plan in place for both of these afterwards and it isn’t just a random selection to take things in a completely different direction.

Have the alliances with the schools started? For me that's a huge step and I don't think it has.

Though I do see your points. I'm not basing a crisis around the last two results. The minors this year have been flagged for quite some time as a cohort that could have a tough year, didn't the year below them beat them in a challenge match at one stage? So I entirely accept your point, the damage has been done already there. I was a bit disappointed with the under 20s though even allowing for conditions and opposition. Whether that was poor performances on the day, poor management or they haven't progressed from minor will only be answered by playing the remaining games.

My point is this isn't an isolated bad year. The last update given was that the development plan wasn't started as they needed the funding from the house draw. There shouldn't be any barriers left now.

Take your points and agree with a lot of it.

Regarding the development plan, the Deise Og squads / management teams were revamped 2-3 years ago after the Waterford Rising plan was produced. There was definitely talk of linking the house draw funds with the development squads. I’d be very sceptical as to how much of that went their way and can’t help but feel that money has been squandered on the current senior set up. The board were explicit in stating it wouldn’t all go towards Walsh Park and senior setup.

• Advertisement

Good to hear about the revamp in the development squads. Obviously the second part of your post isn't as promising and with unsolicited trips to Wexford there may well be some truth to it.

Another small positive is we seem to have been shamed into entering a Celtic challenge team this year. Other counties enter multiple teams but at least it's better than being the only county who ignored it.

Best of luck to the Senior Footballers

In the league game we really put it up to Tipp

Tipp are absolutely dreadful. We might have a chance on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Footballers doing well, point down 64 mins gone and just had a goal chance off the bar.

Winning 1-6-1-4 now 3 mins left

Hold on lads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

6 points up now, great to see

• Registered Users Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Historic day in dungarvan. Some second half against the wind!

. Maybe Tis time to start puncturing the sliothars. Deise abu

Brilliant result and won't have any fear of Clare in Fraher Field on the 20th

As crazy as it sounds if we got a win in that we'd go into the All Ireland Round Robin. That would be some turn up for the books

• Advertisement
Advertisement