Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 McBurgermacs

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Fagan & Leavey replacing Darragh Lyons & Kevin Mahony would be my best guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Pudz2180

Shane Bennett not named on panel anyone know what’s the story there? Taught he was one of the few positives from the league. Also is there a question mark over Calum lyons fitness did he pick up an injury lately. Fagan and leavy to come in for Mahony and darragh lyons? Would like to see fagan in the half forward line and Callum back to half back

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Deiseland

injured

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭JD. 60

Pity about Shane Bennett not being available. Fairly good full back line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

No way Leavy should not be starting. Had a great league

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DLS2THECORE

Does anyone here happen to have a spare ticket floating about? Left it too late to get on Ticketmaster and now it seems they’re all gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Expecting a big display from Waterford. Gave Limerick plenty of it last year and yes league form was poor but have a stronger team out for Sunday. Never know what Cork might do. Connolly adds a goal threat which might be the difference from previous years. Unless a sending off I can't see a big win for either team.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

I feel more positive after seeing the team. Even if there are a few late changes as suggested, it’ll only strengthen it more. That’s a team that should be capable of winning IF they go out and play hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

On a side note, the new supporters club is beyond crap. An email with the team a day after it’s already known is basically all they’ve provided, so essentially, zero value other than a fancy way to donate. At least club deise sent out a car sticker/hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭dzilla

are there any details yet about the official parking spots, I know Mount Sion usually have a good setup but hoping to avoid bottleneck going through estates.

Is the WIT openning this year? I know Waterford Shopping center usually does.

There is nothing on the twitter or county board website yet

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭brian2614

Hence there is only 60 odd suckers who actually signed up to it. Another shambles. Remember WLR were actually praising Skins Ryan on the radio while interviewing him about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

I'm agreeing with most posters that there will be changes and more than likely Leavey will start, possibly for Kevin Mahony. I don't see Callum Lyons playing in the half forward line unless he is a 3rd midfielder. It is actually a team full of versatile players so very hard to know where most of them will play.

My hope is that they push Jamie Barron to 11, & play 2 of Leavey/Lyons/Montgomery midfield & give Joyce something to think about at 6, rather than allowing him to sit deep in front of the full forward line. Barron will naturally drop deep to help in the middle third but he is one of the best shooters from distance in the team and could pick off a few scores from distance and make Joyce follow him out, which in turn allows space in front of the full forward line.

I know it is often said that midfielders should try cover the centre forward when they drift out but Barron is as elusive as they come and Darragh Fitzgibbon wouldn't be the most defensive minded of midfielders. I used to hate watching Noel McGrath pick points off for fun as Brick or Tadhg de Búrca sat (not a criticism, this was his role) and Cian Lynch plays a similar role at the minute for Limerick. It could perhaps be argued that Barron wouldn't be a puckout option but in the Clare game, with Jack Prender at 11, he actually got into space to collect puckouts at head height or bouncing in front. Again, this may tie up Joyce & it doesn't make sense to rain puckouts on Joyce anyway.

Montgomery, Lyons & Leavy are hardworking, athletic midfielders but with Montgomery & Lyons I reckon they average 2/3 wides a game so I hope they look at offloading & delivering the ball inside to what could be potentially a lethal inside forward line if they play inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Nice to see that cork are persisting with their full back ie Cahalane…….he will hopefully over step it with the physical stuff and get himself sent off😀

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Nothing yet but that's something the county board tend to be fairly good at. I'd imagine there will be traffic plans tomorrow if not later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

On paper the team is one of the strongest we've had out in a while and hopefully we can get a much needed win. Cork have derailed our championship hopes the last 2 years, that day in 2022 was one of the most disheartening results in years

Best of luck to the Under 20s tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Gluteus_Maximus

Waterford 0-10 Tipp 1-07 at half time. Waterford on top for second quarter

Mid way through the first half, Waterford were being outplayed and out muscled by Tipp but somehow they have managed to draw level at half time ; more of the same please.

Think I spoke too soon.

Tipp completely dominating since second half started unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Consider parking further out and walking ,or taking a bike off the rack for the last 1-5k, unless you have a disabled pass no harm in a bit of walking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭dzilla

Not what I asked but thanks for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

jesus that's woeful,even Ken cannot save us

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

As a Corkman I was pretty confident at the start of the week, but much less so now after seeing the Waterford teamsheet - that's a bloody decent team now that almost everyone is back available for selection. Anyone I'm talking to is nervy enough for Sunday. Like most others I expect to see one or two changes in the Waterford starting 15. Looking forward to seeing the new Walsh Park too.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

The underage crisis continues.

I wonder is Monty picked to track Fitzgibbon in midfield? I'm surprised at Kevin Mahony being picked when he saw very little game time in the league. Will be interesting to see what role he plays. I thought we might put Sean Walsh over on Mark Coleman as the latter is a brilliant hurler but Brick caused him trouble physically.

I'd be worried about our full back line. All fine players but neither Fitzgerald or Daly are naturals there while Prunty is down game time and didn't look himself before the injury.

Finally Horgan is an excellent free taker. During the league our free taking was a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Sportsfan90…….other than a parking spot I doubt you’ve a lot to worry about….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭914

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork. Never travelled down to Walsh Park before, want to get down there early, get to a pub for the Clare game - thoughts for parking and a pub on the way ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭914

Mount Sion GAA club is a good shout, plenty of parking, bar with TV and less than a 5 minute walk to Walsh Park

Advertisement