Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah got us relagated but no bother to Davy he'll be gone by then

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Ian OB

He's damned right there!!

Clare game and possibly Limerick one live on RTE with the Cork and Tipp games on gaago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

3 sure things death taxes and Davy talking utter nonsense to the media

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Munster U20 Football Championship

Tipperary 5-13 

Waterford 0-8 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭siyo

Woeful, I wonder how much money was pissed up the wall on this setup?

They get to play in the B final now

Commend the players and management for given it a shot but it's hard not feel sorry for them seeing results like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

shocking alright….imagine if it was cork or Kerry…….it’s like they went texting or knocking on doors the evening of the match to round up a team……I’d say very little money was pissed up against a wall that is the problem…😡It’s worse and worse football is getting every year…. 20 odd years ago they actually won a Munster 21 title….Dublin beat them in the all Ireland semi…..brick Walsh was one of the star players…..refer below and appeared in 7 finals overall……..being so uncompetitive is just shocking……would there be any of u20 hurlers dual players….? Patrick Fitzgerald comes to mind and I’m sure the other two Fitzgerald brothers from kilrosanty if underage…? would definitely be on the team…?

good report here about the above victory below

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/waterford-kerry-2003-munster-u21-final-396504

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

U20 management was only put in place 8 weeks ago or so because the original manager Mikey Cronin was removed from his position as u20 manager and coach of senior footballers.

They only have players 2 months and performed very well against Clare and Limerick.

As per usual other counties are together months in advance of us at football.

Credit to the current management team and players for stepping up.

No one at county board level fighting the corner for Waterford football unfortunately obviously doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

throw in liam o lonain and the hurneys john and gary were as good as i have seen too excellent lads , gary hurney used to clean gary brennan in his prime

• Advertisement

and you would give that money to davey , a man who has squandered millions at this stage both in his investments and in county board demands , for a paul kinnerk all ireland and what is becoming more and more apparent a a keith rossiter leinster championship

What are you saying…Keith Rossiter is the reason Wexford won that Leinster during Davy’s reign….? It’s hard to actually say it but 4 defeats this season looks on the cards……surely that would put to bed the nightmare that has been the past 18 months…….?

yes basically , davey is a bluffer , rossiter has done a fine job this year with wexford , no sweeper , draw with clare draw with kilkenny , changed the team for offaly and cork ,

paul kinnerk was davey's trump card in 2013 , davey got rid of him in 14 and 15 and fell flat on his face , brought kinerk back in 2016 won the league , had a minor heart attack leading up to the all irealnd 1/4 and voted out by the players after , kinnerk went on to win 6 more all irelands with limerick after wining 4 u21 titles with clare a league and an all ireland

davey has been propped up for years everyone knows it

I'd use the money to fund more development officers

A cracking result and a cracking team in fairness. Liam o'lionain was as good a footballer as any of em. Sadly that was very much a one off. Look I'm not anti football, I'm anti Waterford half arsing it football. We're a small enough county with a smallish budget, I don't see the point in wasting resources on football when it's only a token investment. Someone put up what was spent on football last year and it was above 150k if I remember it right, I feel that money would be far better spent on more development officers to work in clubs, schools and with underage county sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

Unfortunately in Waterford we have too many narrow minded "hurling snobs"

I want Waterford to win the all Ireland in hurling every year and i want us to do well at minor and u20 in hurling.

Obviously i also want us to do well at football and for it to be given a fair chance to progress.

Look at counties with smaller populations like Carlow,Westmeath and Laois who try to do their best in both codes.

It's tiresome reading about lets get rid of the football and be like kilkenny argument,they tried to get rid of a few counties from the hurling league earlier this year and it was defeated thankfully.

Lets do our absolute best at both codes.

couldn’t have put it better myself. The irony of the argument to go the kk route and abandon football is lost on most

fair comment , but can i ask , why dont waterford look for more investment if money is the problem , tipperary are funding their football teams almost privately , in clare we have had several private investment schemes in place to at least try and match limerick , it has worked in fairness to a serious degree

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Lingoweet913

Wasting resources? We spent €1.2 million last year across all county teams for minor, u20 and senior and got one championship win for that money. We haven’t had success in underage hurling in years. Maybe we should defund everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I mentioned it previously but that interview Skins Ryan, who is over our development programme in a full time paid capacity, did at half time in the Wexford game was telling. First he was congratulated by the local radio commentator for the county board getting a sponsor and a supporters club in the same week. The question should really have been why did both take so long? The supporters club in particular is essentially providing nothing more than the most expensive car sticker of all time.

Ryan then took the opportunity to whinge about inter county costs. For one, having a sponsor or a fit for purpose supporters club would help that. But instead of thinking about how to create revenue as other counties do we embarrassed ourselves crying about costs. The under 20 crop this year isn't bad though if Cummins, O Callaghan and potentially Fitzgerald are unavailable they may not perform as well as hoped. Next year's minor team are decent albeit the Tipp team look a class above. But after that I'd have huge worries for Waterford and if the attitude from full time officials is to whinge rather than copy successful counties it's more likely our hurling teams will come down to the level of our football teams than the other way around.

• Advertisement

I don't think our county board has a great reputation when it comes to investment from private individuals unfortunately. We have what we have in terms of finance and it's not being spent wisely imo.

Another topic for another day maybe but this idea of private investment worries me, I'm not naive enough to think it doesn't happen but long term how sustainable is it really.

Or maybe we should prioritise where that money should go. It's clear for as long as I'm following Waterford gaa that football is a token investment every season, it's not too long ago senior footballers weren't being fed proper meals after training and were battling for months to get their expenses paid. Do we just continue this charade or do we make a decision to use the money wisely.

Genuinely what is the point of putting 100k+ into a senior football team when the best footballers in the county are not making themselves available, we are buried at the bottom of Div4, are very unlikely to win any championship game between Munster and tailteann cup and finances are tight enough as is?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭fuinneamh

On the small enough county. We've the same population as Clare that has a Division 2/3 team over last few years and are the team currently putting it most up to Limerick in hurling. The issue is not the scarcity of resources but the standards of excellence throughout the county board in terms of promoting Gaelic Games of all codes and all levels. The lack of competency of the county board on other fronts should not be an excuse to get rid of football. Footballs performance is a symptom not a root cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 cbwfd

Feck, sickening last second defeat for minor footballers. Ref found an extra minute from nowhere but they'll be kicking themselves after having possession.

Really impressed watching the team. Moved the ball quickly and some great composure and skill up front to take the scores. One of the more impressive performances underage of any code in a while which will be a nice tonic to some here 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Pudz2180

minor footballers beaten by a point after Clare got a goal with the last kick of the game ( in 3rd minute of injury time even though there was meant to be 2) Christ as a county we can’t seem to get a break at any level in either code at the moment. Hard luck on the young lads who put in a great display

was following it on twitter…..couldn’t believe the last minute ‘twist’……62 mins played and 2 pts up…….the next ‘refresh’ took 3/4 mins so looked like an underage victory had been achieved…..but as happens so often it was stolen in a mysterious 3 min of extra time. Were you or previous poster physically present at the game as it was hardly available to view online or on social media….?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Borro boy

is minor hurling team named

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Took nine years to post, so I really hope somebody answers you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Streamed on Clubber.

I don’t know the story with added time but it’s always a minimum that is announced, an extra minute wouldn’t be unusual if any stoppage occurred.

Heartening performance either way. Hopefully they can bounce back from the disappointment.

Advertisement