Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,986 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

You'd take the draw esp with 13 men but lots too improve on and let's hope we can in our next 2 games

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Jamie Barron played well, and Tom Barron also but after a very bright start Waterford seemed to lose their way and Jamie butchered a very good goal chance. I didn't see what Stephen Bennett got the straight red for but agree with the person above saying a draw was probably a good result with only 13 players finishing. They showed good fight when playing against the numerical disadvantage so that was good to see as well.

Anyway account opened, point on the board and we go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Rebelside

Cahill has won three (I think) all Irelands with Tipp. They know him well & what he demands and those players know what it takes to win all Irelands & they’re not shrinking violets themselves. I don’t think we’ll see them sulking when the pressure comes on. They’d have left the panel already if they were like that

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

A stereotypical league game for me. Fellas mixed food stuff and bad stuff. I thought Prunty and Conor Gleeson were good for the most part but both gave away goals cheaply. The third Dublin goal was possibly even worse.

I'd have to totally disagree about Tom Barron, I thought he looked a fish out of water in the half forward line. The only forward who could contest high ball was Kiely and us losing a series of puck outs brought Dublin back into the game before half time. I missed the incident with Bennett. No issue with the other red card but should Dublin have had a second black one?

Very happy with Kiely and Jamie Barron from the starting team as we need more from both in the championship this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Watched the game live on TV as a netural, Bennett's was a definite red, swing the arm back connected with the head or neck.

• Advertisement

Who was the coach that Davy was talking to constantly ??

Yeah I'd agree. I didn't see it live and I was on the bank anyway so it was on the opposite side. Swung the arm/fist so that's a red.

I would ask a neutral to look at the actions of Eoghan O Donnell for the incident that results in the second penalty. Dáire Grey gets a yellow for pulling Kiely's jersey but for me O Donnell comes in with a cheap shot elbow to Kiely's face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Shoulder to the chin. Lined him up too. Red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭5948ai

O'donnell definitely lucky to stay on the field today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Managing adult teams is different ball game to underage. players know their own minds a lot more as adults. The tough love approach is great starting point but there is a balance to management there are times you need to show the players you have their backs when the chips are down.

Cahill will have learned lessons from his time at Waterford too similar to when Davy Fitz cut his teeth with Waterford first he’ll be using it to reach the pinnacle with his own county

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Yep it was the shoulder to the chin. I took the photo of it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Think it was/is the older of his young lads….can’t think of his name….think it could be Colm…?

jesus time flies

He must be some sort of Stats person, hope he doesnt have his fathers temperment. I thought Davy was going to see red after Bennetts sending off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

I’m only guessing by the way. It may not be him…?

On todays performance there is no way we'll get out of Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Would have taken the draw when down to 13 so it's a fair enough result. Still a bit disappointing we couldn't kick on after the fantastic start, we let Dublin back into it a bit too easily I thought. Some wayward shooting and balls that dropped short cost a number of points (Dublin could argue the same I suppose) but it's only the first game of the league.

Bennett's red card was disappointing, it was fully deserved as he swung and made contact with the Dublin players face and it was always going to be an uphill battle to get something out of the game from then on. To be fair to the lads they stood up and tried using the ball a bit smarter with the numerical disadvantage. Bennett needs to cut that out of his game as it's not the first red card he got from an altercation with an opponents face/helmet.

Jamie Barron did well, Austin contributed when he came on and both Kiely and Leavey also got on a good amount of ball. Decent enough workout and the next two outings away to Laois and home to Antrim should yield maximum points and confidence up ahead of the visits to Thurles and Nowlan Park.

You seriously need to relax, Limerick have won 3 of their last 11 league games if you need reassurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭decies

Am not seriously judging this team till after 2 Munster championship games under our belt , today was a good workout albeit it very untidy as you’d expect out of the gate , let’s be honest here we need our best 1/15 to see the best of us other counties not so much but while you have to blood players the Calvary is always on standby as it was and needed to be today .

• Advertisement

I'd have a s&c question over Cahill and Bevans myself, ye were up and down within games i felt, in 2021 championship i think ye had a 18 point lead on galway after about 55 mins and won by 4, week later against tipp were hanging on at the end after been in a commanding position, in reverse in 2020 semi final vs Kilkenny ye were awful in the 1st half and brilliant in the 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭decies

GAA TV schedule this week:

Wed

6pm: Sigerson s-finals: UL v DCU; UCC v TUD - Spórt TG4 YouTube

Sat

5pm: Laois v Waterf - TG4

7pm: Limerick v Clare - RTÉ 2

Sun

1.30pm: Kilkenny v Tipp - TG4

2pm: Galway v Cork - TG4 defrd

2pm: Kild v Down - BBC iPlayer

3.30pm: Dublin v Ant - TG4

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭DeHorse88

Few big question marks on that back line don’t know if Conor Gleeson and McNulty are up to the standard required at this level as corner backs. Would like to see a few new options tried here possibly Iarlaith Daly, Cathrach Daly, Mark Fitzgerald. Prunty had a solid 2nd half but is accident prone which you can’t get away at this level.

Lyons & Fagan are solid enough but need Tadgh De Burca to get back into the team and back up to his usual level, I have my doubts whether he can or not. I don’t think there’s another option there for centre back

Midfield and Forwards I still don’t think anyone has an idea of the best set up. Leavy, Darragh Lyons, Barron seem to be the only contenders midfield. Half forwards would like to see Peter Hogan back in the mix, need Patrick Curran back to form again too with Aussie and Jack Prendergast also probably in their best position here also. Dessie, Mikey Kiely and Stephen Bennett up front, goin to need Bennett hitting form again come championship, his contribution from play lately since championship last year is a bit of a worry.

Any team needs new players to keep everyone fresh and on their toes and the two Fitzgeralds Patrick & Padraig need to see game time next Sat v Laois, they maybe small but will be important come championship that they have a bit of game time under the belt.

I'd rate Conor Gleeson's performance way above that of Calum Lyons or Jack Fagan yesterday. He did make a bad mistake for the goal but the other two made worse mistakes for the third goal. Himself and Prunty were forced to defend goal side as we went long with puck outs, commited midfielders and half backs up but still lost them. So when Dublin won possession they had huge space to put the ball into. Both Calum and Jack got on ball but were wasteful with it. I'd expect them all to improve though.

We've had huge problems with puck outs for years. What made it worse yesterday is Dublin won most of the breaking ball too.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Pudz2180

nearly 9 months without intercounty hurling so it was nice to have it back yesterday. After 15 minutes yesterday it looked like we were going to run away with the game but from there on in Dublin we’re the better team and were probably unlucky not to get the win. It was hard to know what to think coming away from dungarvan I taught it was a disjointed performance but look it’s early days and you would hope things will improve over the next few games. Defensively we are not the same with out tdb so it’s crucial we get the tadgh of 2020 back asap cause if we don’t we have a big problem. Also the same failing of not winning puck outs and our own ball in the forwards was there again yesterday. I think jack fagan has to be moved back to half forward to try help rectify this ongoing problem. The big positive for me Was to see Jamie Barron back to something close to his best yesterday. He had an injury dogged year last year and never really got going so to have him back flying will be a big boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Rebelside

He was out of control. Kicked a player deliberately in the first half too. Could have got the line for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

It was only first league game, so really hard to gauge - started like a train doing all the right things, moving the ball fast with off the shudder running and getting good ball into inside forward where we drew frees, then all of a sudden took the foot off the pedal , started shooting wide after wide from distance and hitting aimless ball, whether it was we ran out of steam quickly or just took the game for granted, i have no idea. Calum Lyons, Fagan and McNulty in particular hit an incredible amount of bad wides /ball. They also repeatedly ran aimlessly with ball throughout the game (As did Cathrach Daly) and got turned over time and time again having left massive gaps behind them. In fairness to Prunty and Gleeson they both made horror mistakes for goals and others, but the amount of high quality ball that was popped in right in from of the Dublin forwards was criminal. Best thing said abbout the game was we got out with a draw, showed a bit of character and the class of Dessie and Aussie was evident after their introduction

Biggest worry for me is that i saw absolutely no change in Davy's tactics since last time around - the start of the second half where we started with five forwards inside the Dublin penalty area having a "set to" with the Dublin backs, while the ball was thrown in, watching Dublin centre back standing in an acre of space on his own - was reminiscent of something from Killnascully rather than Senior Intercounty !! I remember Tipp doing this to us in a Munster Final when Davy was in charge, when they went into a huddle at the start of the game and then as the ball was being thrown in, they burst out to their respective positions creating panic and confusion in our back line - unfortunately we seemed to forget second part of the plan. I know it is early days but it just worries me!!!

----

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

DLS, Dungarvan and Dunhill in Group D - what are the odds!

Would have to fancy BG and Abbeyside from Group A, MS and FMW from B, Roanmore and Lismore from C and DLS and Dungarvan from D.

Great to see the premier intermediate grade, should make for a good competition.

• Advertisement

You could argue the best 1st seed, 2nd seed and 3rd seed are all in group A.

Is it the same format as last year? If so the groups are irrelevant and the round robin games are challenge matches in disguise.

Advertisement