Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,987 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Brilliant impact by Aussie and hopefully he'll be starting soon

Still a lot of work too do and hopefully learn from the scare we got tonight which was definitely caused by our indiscipline. Another load of errors and you could say we're lucky with the way our fixtures panned out, we'd be eat alive on the last 2 performances if we had Tipperary and Kilkenny up first

We move on to Antrim in 2 weeks and hopefully no injuries from the Fitzgibbon games

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭conor05

Prunty is not related to an inter county full back.

Everytime the ball went in it looked like the Laois number 6 could score a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

The same Conor Prunty who won an all star in that position? (Unless my memory is completely defective?)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

anyone know what kiely did to get the red card ? nobody in the ground was complaining about any incident and both sides seemed surprised when the red card came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

He seemed to indicate to the subs that he had jabbed back slightly with the butt of the hurl, not sure if anything had happened prior to that but it would be unlikely he did it out of nowhere.

Nolan seemed to be wearing an ear piece tonight. That, coupled with the man behind the wire in contact with management, would really seem to be unnecessary attention Davy draws on his teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭JD. 60

Some quick takeaways from last evening, bearing in mind much tougher assignments lie ahead.

Monty had his best game in a long time ; superb throughout. Callum Lyons covered some ground (ditto, Jack Prendergast) and he’s got some engine ! McNulty had plenty of space on a number of occasions but instead of going for the Hail Mary shot, he held back (might have been under orders) and thought he did well, alongside Conor Gleeson. Watching Prunty in full flow (to quote Marty Morrissey) is a joy to behold. Honourable mention to for Mark Fitzgerald; he looks like a certain starter come championship time.

Is Davy minding Aussie by keeping him fresh for bigger games to come. His class shone through once introduced. What about the late cameo from Patrick Fitzgerald; two chances, two points.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,987 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Big game in our division today Kilkenny vs Tipperary, whoever wins will be in a strong position going forward . You'd expect Dublin to have enough for Antrim esp been at home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭decies

The manager and players might think different but don’t want to be going near the latter stages of this league under the current championship set up . Hoping Tipp haven’t improved a massive amount or it’s a dog fight to end all dog fights to progress from Munster .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

The Waterford style is awful. Overrun ever ball into traffic with full forward line getting no ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭deisedude

Even worse when you consider we seem to have a lot of good corner forwards coming through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

What has happened to our defence?..Lyons up in the full forward line and our defence being cut open.Tom Barron is a back .Fagin is a forward.swap them.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Yep. But it’s not a new thing. We’re at this with years. I’ve never seen players so keen to give away precious yards of space and over complicate everything. Looks like other years where we have to kill ourselves for every score while other teams can make it look simple and demoralise us with quick simple scores, recognizing that when you’ve some space you don’t need to run with it head down. Look up and pass or shoot. On our day we’ll be amazing to watch but when it goes wrong, we’ll take a beaten.

But we’ll get it sorted come championship I hope. It’s early days and management and players are all learning. I’d rather be bad in the league and get out of Munster.

Objective is to get out of Munster full stop .

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Tipp and Cork will be better than they were last year and Limerick will be Limerick. Clare could be hot and cold or all hot. Getting out of Munster is going to be really tough this year. Will be great viewing for neutrals but a rollercoaster for us. Fingers crossed!!

Bit worried about our defense. We need peak De Burca badly. That full back line need him cleaning up the breaks and when bursting forward, he’s also more reliable at making sensible decisions. Have to say I do like the look of Fitzgerald from Passage though.

Davy will have lots of good problems selecting forwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 unbeknownist

The modern style seems to dictate playing it short through the lines, but it seems very frustrating given the full forward line Waterford are currently producing. It would be brilliant to see low early ball delivered into Dessie, Fitzgerald’s etc. What seems to be an issue at the minute is our half back line storming up the field and losing the ball which gives the opposition a chance to give ball into their forwards. Seems to be making Prunty and Gleesons jobs in the full back line a lot harder. Both are putting in big shifts but still off championship pace ( or maybe league pace )

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I'd be hoping we mix that up a bit more come championship. If a player gets possession in the half back line there are three options; run, pass or shoot. Yesterday we only had run as we didn't play with a regular inside líne after the red card and there was a definite change in policy to avoid wides from long distance. Though as the game went on we did shoot from distance more. I'd be hoping that come championship we'll have 15 on the pitch and the option of going direct will be taken if appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Two games (leaving aside challenges and Munster League) down and my concerns are growing by the game.

Yes, we ran out comfortable winners in the end, and yes we are almost in the same position we were as at this stage last year, drawing with Dublin and beating Laois, but our style of play and our formation is deeply concerning.

Once again we played for large parts of the game with only one in the forward line, but on many occasion we had nobody inside the Laois 65. At the same time our full back line looked to be repeatedly exposed, with an acre of space in front of them. This effectively meant that we had 10 players operating between the two 65s for much of the game, yet we repeatedly got over run, and more alarmingly allowed plenty of quality ball be played in in front of our full back line. The amount of time lads turned into traffic and lost possession was unreal and the amount of time we ended up running across the field with two or three players standing flat in no position to receive a pass without serious risk of interception or getting nailed in the process, was ridiculous. Once again we had lads bursting forward on solo runs, not looking up and getting caught in possession was terrible, and every time this happened we had left a gaping hole behind us for a poor Laois side to exploit.

No matter who you are playing, you must do the basics right and you should be continuing to try and do the right things. Monty, and not for the first time made a great run through the Laois defence, and ended up getting applauded for a scoring a point from almost being on his knees, simple fact is if he had got his head up Padraig Fitzgerald was in an acre of space on his own for a simple pass and we had an almost certain goal. i am not singling out Monty, but am highlighting this incident as an example of how we are still failing repeatedly to give the ball to the guy in the bast position.

There seems to be awful lot of work to do to get us hurling as a "team" capable of challenging the serious contenders, maybe it is all part of a great Master Plan, but i already have my doubt as i do not even see the semblance of the beginnings of a "blue print"

Final point, relates to Kiely sending off - from what i saw and heard it was as a result of the actions of a ridiculously overzealous Umpire and Referee - the Laois backs and Goalkeeper seemed every bit as surprised as everyone else about Kiely's dismissal with most in the Stand around us believing he must have said something to an umpire - if we are going to be sending lads of for butting each other like that there will be four lads in the stand after the throw in in at every game. That being said, we have had three red cards in two games, all for silly in-disciplines that allow fussy referees dish out red cards , we have to draw a line under this and stop it now - our indiscipline has cost us too dearly in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Gardner

Nolan wasn't wearing any ear piece. 🤣 ridiculous comment

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭JD. 60

Who's the chap standing beside Davy the whole time ; I think initialls "JH" are on his top ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Nolan wearing a plaster on his left ear in very similar fashion to Mark Fanning would be a very unlikely coincidence; unless there was some other explanation, like an ear piece.

I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it would be a very odd coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Is this ‘carry on’ within the rules……if so what is the fuss about. If not then davey deserves a toe (big one) up the whole…!

I don't agree with the man behind the goals or the earpiece. Once the players step within the white lines of the pitch it should be up to them to make all decisions and should be the same for all teams.

There probably isn't a rule in the rulebook purely because it's innovative but it's against the spirit of the rules and Davy is trying to get away with one Here.

Blaming the removal of a maor foirnes is just deflection tactics. Its the same for all teams, by all means make your case along with other managers for them to return but don't cheat because they aren't there

Post edited by deisedude on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

can anyone explain what advantage this wiring up of the goalie to a coach behind the opposite goal can actually achieve……?

Whether it's effective or not is kind of immaterial in my view, like you I doubt how much it actually helps however Davy things it does and is trying to get an advantage by bending the rules to breaking point.

It's cheating, if Cork or Kilkenny were doing it we would be giving out stink about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

He's a lad from Clare called James Hickey, used to travel to Wexford with Davy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Gardner

The idiots have really come out to play over the last few days on this thread. Some of the muck sprouted is completely baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭914

Like Limerick with the tactics board during the water breaks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Like blueflame, I am not convinced that the running game is the best option for this Waterford team. Is it a case of Davy imposing a pre-formed idea of how the game should be played rather than coming up with a game plan particularly suited to Waterford’s strengths? I am particularly concerned that Dessie Hutchinson did not get the ball into his hand until the 23rd minute, and when he scored his goal in the 47th minute it was just his third possession of the game. Of course, if Michael Kiely hadn’t been sent off, Hutchinson might have seen more of the ball. You would also wonder if Tom Barron was included in the game plan at all, as the game bypassed him completely.

As blueflame pointed out, there were numerous cases of Waterford players running into trouble and being turned over, while intended passes frequently went astray (as was also the case against Dublin). However, it could be that these issues will be ironed out as the season progresses. And it is hard to argue against a system which produced 55 shots at goal.

As with Dublin the previous week, it seemed to me that, while they were in the game, Laois had a better game plan. This involved short puckouts (facilitated by the lack of Waterford full forwards), good interpassing to put players in space, and a lot of good ball up to their full forward line – and they did put the Waterford defence under a lot of pressure. However, in the end, Waterford’s superior power and quality (especially off the bench) proved too much for them. Waterford do need to think about playing the ball out through the lines more, as once again they had major problems winning their own long puckouts, especially in the first half.

At the same time, there were many positives that can be taken from the game. Pádraig Fitzgerald did very well for someone making his first competitive start, while his namesake from Ballygunner again made scoring look easy in his brief introduction towards the end. Not for the first time, I was very impressed by the third Fitzgerald, Mark, a lovely hurler who got in a lot of good work. I was also delighted to see Neil Montgomery putting in an excellent shift, as I thought he might become a casualty of the ending of the Cahill regime. However, the big star for me was Calum Lyons, who enjoyed an astonishing 27 possessions during the game and got off seven shots at goal, four of them successful. I don’t know if I have ever recorded a player having got that number of possessions in a single game before.

One final point: Someone needs to coach Cárthach Daly in how to tackle without fouling. Otherwise he will become a regular yellow card liability.

Advertisement