Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you work if you did not have too? Say you won the lotto tomorrow.

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,401 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Bertie could always use donations to pay himself an attractive CEO salary and expenses. None of his own money goes into the charity, but some of the charity money goes into his personal account.

Do you come across many people prepared to donate to such charities?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Do you come across many people prepared to donate to such charities?

Well no, I haven't looked. Have you considered that we may be serious at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Generally hobbies will only get you so far. Most millionaires are working. Ron Dennis retired a few years back but got bored of paradise islands and returned to work in F1. He obviously enjoys the challenge of the job.

Thats because they havent bothered to try to discover the thousands of hobbies that are out there. You could easily make a healthy routine that included lots of hobbies, travel and meeting loads of new people. If i was a millionaire id value my time more. I can understand why rich people in the entertainment business dont retire but sure loads of millionaires are in industries that are far from exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Yonce

No, I'd forever just work on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Greyfox wrote: »
    Thats because they havent bothered to try to discover the thousands of hobbies that are out there. You could easily make a healthy routine that included lots of hobbies, travel and meeting loads of new people. If i was a millionaire id value my time more. I can understand why rich people in the entertainment business dont retire but sure loads of millionaires are in industries that are far from exciting.

There are thousand of things to do but trying to get a passion for one is the tricky bit. Luckily I have a few hobbies that keep me going but there are some people who find it hard to get into anything.

After I finished college I took 5 months off. I did some socializing, mountain biking & did painting as well as taking a summer holiday but found by month 4, the novelty was wearing thin. I was up watching big brother until 2am most nights, lying in bed until 11am. I felt like a bit of a slob.

Everybody is different, theres no right answer but I suspect the notion of giving up work completely may not be as ideal as some people hope. To have the highs, you need some lows. When you think of some of the best experiences in life, it usually involves some pain, physical or mental - the stress of getting through college exams, doing a triathlon, climbing a high mountain. The words 'work' and 'hobby' may be interchangeable but I think there needs to be some challenge at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

I like my job but I absolutely wouldn't be doing it if I won the lottery. I'm talking Euromillions money. I'd do a job like, like opening a circus-themed nightclub with staff as circus folk and birdcages and a monkey riding a unicycle; and perhaps a jazz band on sundays called The Bearded Ladies. I'm sure it would be a hit.
    And if it weren't, I'd just move onto the next thing, like bloodstock but for incredibly cute donkeys.

Yes, I would have a lot of fun wasting all that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I'd be gone in a flash.

Between commuting and work I lose 60 hours every week. First thing I would do would would be to pay off the mortgage completely. I would use my free time to finally get my driver's license and travel both Ireland and the World. I'd learn new skills and try get better at the ones I do have. I'd also spend a lot more time with the people I care about.

If you're already financially set for life then working a 9-5 job is a total waste of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

No i wouldn't, but I'd have to be involved in something, definitely more community based work, and other meaningful activities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I would definitely get back to education, another Masters and possibly a PhD. I'd do something related to the field I'm working in but a slightly different direction. If I eventually went back to work it would be probably 3 days a week max, I'd have to do something because it doesn't suit my personality to do nothing, plus I get a lot of satisfaction and self esteem from what I do. Maybe freelance would work best. I'm volunteering regularly now but not as much as I'd like so would hopefully have more time to dedicate to that.

I'd stay living where I am but buy something bigger, something with a nice home gym, sauna, small pool if feasible! The smallies are happy out in school so this is the best place for us.

We would probably buy a holiday home aswell, something not too far away but big enough for friends and family to come and visit and enjoy, especially over Christmas. I'd pimp the summer and winter holidays too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

I would break up week by faking some credentials and going for job interviews.
    Bring them to a crescendo and then do daft stuff.
    "Would you mind if we took a 5min break, as i wish to place a bet on 1500 at Aintree."

"I left my last job due to an assault, but if you will allow me explain..."

Just for a bit of craic and possibly give them the same..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

To answer the op, I would continue to work, maybe not in my current job but something similar at 50% the pace it is now.

Some interesting stories here on the dangers of winning the lotto:

Advertisement