Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you work if you did not have too? Say you won the lotto tomorrow.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

My job is just a job. It's just to pay the bills, but it's also not particularly hard or unpleasant. I'd leave, but on good terms and I'd work out my notice (not that they could replace me).

My hobbies can be expensive though and I rent so it would need to be a substantial win so I could buy a house and retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd work out my notice and devote my time to doing work that interest me. At the moment my main hobby is DIY and one of my real bug bears about our consumerist society is seeing perfectly functional things go to landfill. I'm of the belief that many of the abandoned cottages around the country could be refurbished for close to free (availing of the free sections on adverts, donedeal etc. for leftover building materials etc) and would love to put that to the test, learning the skills I needed to do the work along the way. Though I think I'd have to finish all the jobs needed on our own house first or Mrs Sleepy might not be too happy!

My ex's cousin married the son of a well known rock star. Neither of them work because they don't have to. They travel all over. They are actually very grounded, surprisingly normal people - aside from saying things like "We spend summer in the south of France because Dubai gets too hot in summer".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

anybody that says they would stay working in their current job is talking bull S. simple

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

valoren wrote: »
    Any "work" would involve managing and monitoring my portfolio and drip feeding enormous amounts of money into various companies. That would account for 1% of my time with the rest travelling/golfing.

Bad time management there, not enough time dedicated to golf!

• Advertisement

Haven't worked since March and if money was no object I sure as hell wouldn't ever go back! Most people's experience of having no job involves boredom, anxiety and isolation. Few people have been lucky enough to be able to not work and have the money to stave off those things.

I haven't won the lotto though, so I am very much looking forward to going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Is shooting and fishing regarded as work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Gone in a heart beat. I'd have a party for the lads in my work crew and then I'd be off down to the toy shop to buy all the goodies that I've wanted but could not afford. I'd give her indoors a chunk to do what she liked with the house then I'd be unavailable for DIY for the rest of my days. Hire in trusted lads to do it and work on my aeroplane therafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Not a chance I'd work again but I'd definitely take up something like volunteering part time in something worthwhile or coaching.

anybody that says they would stay working in their current job is talking bull S. simple

Not everyone dislikes/hates their job.

I worked in finance originally, and hated it. Moved to management, and was lukewarm about it. Left it to become a trainer, and I started to enjoy my work, and now as a lecturer, I only work 6 hours a day, 3 days a week. Long holidays, and my workload mostly depends on how I design my courses.

If you really don't enjoy your work, it's worth considering whether you can change to something else, while maintaining your current standard of living (although it's likely you'll take a drop in salary for a few years). All the same, enjoying what you do is worth a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The idea that somebody just says nothing and continues to be a good employee for even just a few months is just such bull**** of the highest order. Its a pipe dream disconnected from reality.

Its a noble thing to say, but is it really going to survive that wet and miserable Tuesday when you don't want to get out of bed, when customers are moaning at you and the boss is giving you grief?

Bollocks it is. You get over those days because you have to, but if you have millions in the bank you don't have to and the first time you get some grief you will be out of there.

I'd still work if I became an overnight millionaire, but damn sure it would be on my terms and nobody elses.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You’d be surprised, the number of people who allow work, their liking of and whatever so called work achievements ‘define’ them as people, socially .... more common then you think....

If I didn’t need to, I wouldn’t, quite simply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I'd take sh1t jobs where the boss is a wanker but because I don't need the job I'd fight back and sue the cnut for bullying etc. The quit and move on to the next sh1t job.

But I'd take lots of time off as well to travel and slut around.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I was chatting a guy on a train a few years ago, he was in his late 50's id say, we were chatting about working, he said he wouldn't know what to do if he retired as he had no hobbies. i felt sorry for him, i cant get my head around the fact people can have no hobbies, like surely you like something other than working?:confused:

Some people just watch telly when they're not working. Saturday is grocery shopping day. Sunday is newspaper day and maybe a few pints

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I'd buy a whole heap of derelict Tenements, convert them all into flats and become a greedy slumlord :D

Joking aside though, there's no way I'd stay on working. I'd continue working for maybe 2 months to avoid arousing suspicion and I'd quietly give my notice. I would spend time abroad and I would travel around Ireland also, visiting villages, historical sites and islands. I'd also do something along the River Shannon, maybe buy a small yacht in Killaloe or Carrick on Shannon. I'd also study history and mythology in my spare time and try improve my cooking skills. There's no way I'd go back to a 9-5 week again, I'd put all my energy into the things I enjoy doing.

I wouldn't work per se, but I would have lots of different projects on the go that would require plenty of my time and energy... oh wait that's what I already do! :D

One thing I definitely would not be doing, is "travelling"... every boring old fart rolls out the same tired old cliche: "If I win the lotto, I'll quit my job and go travelling"... zzzzZZZZzzzzz BORING!

Seriously, these people really need to grow an imagination! :P

Never heard the phrase "travel broadens the mind"?

I'd travel the world. My daily job would be fulltime professional bastard on TripAdvisor.

You don't owe anyone anything. That includes caring what co-workers think or even giving them an explanation.

You could win the euromillions then no show on the Monday. They can call all they want. Doesn't matter. Set up for life.

Agreed.
    Why are people so worried about arousing "suspicion" among coworkers?
    What kind of jobs do people have that their private life is so known to their colleagues?

People hand in their notice all the time and nobody bats an eyelid. So Jack tenders his resignation saying he is moving to a new company and wishes everyone well and thanks them. Nobody says"I smell a rat! You're not moving company, you won the lotto, didn't you?"
    Hand in your notice on Monday saying you're emigrating and just toddle in for a few hours each day and split on Friday and go straight to the Shelbourne and go on a week long bender. By the time you've sobered up they'll have forgotten what you look like.

The FNG wrote: »
    I'd end up like the lotto lout in England.

That eejit who blew 10 million on drugs and demolition derbies in his back garden and is now back sweeping the streets?

Not in my current position but when I lived abroad I very much enjoyed teaching English.

Would probably do that on an ad hoc basis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Not a hope. I've been lucky enough to have a couple of extended periods of time off work with a few bob in the bank and I can tell you here and now that it's amazing.

The "Oh if you didn't work you'd be bored" brigade are sorely lacking in imagination, imo.

Money is key, though. I've also been unfortunate enough to spend a few months on the dole and that is a pretty miserable existence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭pgj2015

That eejit who blew 10 million on drugs and demolition derbies in his back garden and is now back sweeping the streets?

I think he is delivering coal now in Scotland but he says he is happier now so good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Never, ever again. I've never had a job I liked and still, in my 40's, have no idea what I'd like to be, so I'd just sit on me arse and watch everybody else commute in the rain, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

There is a simple psychological (mental processing error) reason for this self-sabotage.

Those folks who (subconsciously) loose/spend/give away all their lucky money, believe simply they're not deserving, nor worthy of such bags full of monies, and thus get rid of it.

Username checks out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Not a hope I'd stay in my current job, maybe do a job that would entail a hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I would in my... I'd write a book though. Go to college. Need a focus (besides the money :p).

A Focus is very modest. Would you not stretch to a Kuga or a Mustang even?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭techyjon

No definitely no more working. I think I would build a nice big house and spend my time between travelling and learning about the places I am going to enhance the experiences i.e language, history & culture, food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Say 1 million, that would cover what I earn for the rest of my life at the moment, if I worked that long and stayed at the same wage, and thats before tax, so yes, absolutely I'd pack it in, anything above that, also an absolute certainty.
    I can understand why some people might stay in some types of work, but right now, I'd waver between giving my months notice or just not coming back, but no longer than that.
    I can think of plenty of things to be involved in, family, education, courses, holidays, hobbies, good causes that would occupy my time.
    Could start a business or go in on one to maintain contact with the system or to help others, or if Euro million levels, live a life of excess myself and start ventures to distribute to worthy causes as you couldn't possibly spend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

no one works if they don't have to ....you don't catch trust fund babies working do you?

I mean they go to law school or become accountants to learn how to protect their inheritance but that is about it.

I know a couple of wealthy people who have trust funds. And don't need to work ....they don't work. And they can't maintain a consistent career.

One guy i was talking to ( he had multiple trust funds) was explaining oh ..'.i don't have a job' ...i joked ..'they are overrated '...he said ..and I WILL NEVER FORGET THIS...'No a job is a good thing it GROUNDS you'. I burst out laughing!

Money partic from an early age is a disincentive to do anything. And i mean even if you DO have marketable skills its awkward if by your standards ..your boss is broke etc.

Its going to be hard to compete with people who unless they work and do what they do well ...will be homeless. There is no hunger.

There are some professions in which wealthy people do well ..better than most even ..stocks investments etc ...anything like that. They have the advantage. But a lot of them just arse around pretending to everyone they are self made etc.

There is a film called 'born rich ' an heir to the Jonson family made it. Its kind of really fake though. It tries to depict them as interesting hip kids ...but they would all be losers without their money. They are not the kind of people you would want to hang around. But money will draw people to you.

They tend to try crazy things ....because its fine if they fail. They won't end up homeless.

If i came by money .....and it wasn't through ...hard graft or ..my own success ..i don't suppose i would be any different from most trust fund babies ...i would just arse around playing at life.

What makes me so special to think i would be different? we all say that we would work . but ...would we?

Maybe if it happened when i was older I would. But i am fairly young.

There are a lot of low paid but 'trendy' jobs out there that attract a lot of self entitled rich white girls ....secret is ...many have trust funds. That is how they survive. But they devalue the salaries of the industries they work in making it harder for others to live. Sad but true.

Trust fund babies be at the interview 'i will undercut a bitch!'

I only put that above line in because it was funny.

So no ...i don't think working would work out for me if i was suddenly rich ...unless i had something i loved doing ..but i can't imagine there is an ethical thing about undercutting ....i mean if i can do it for free ..that is an advantage. I don't need no salary etc. Im already fed. I can crush someone else's dreams. But **** them then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

techyjon wrote: »
    No definitely no more working. I think I would build a nice big house and spend my time between travelling and learning about the places I am going to enhance the experiences i.e language, history & culture, food.

Sounds a bit boring.

Could you not think of something more interesting to do with your time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Not a hope. Work is a means to an end, that is, for money. Maybe I just haven't been lucky enough to find that job that I like so much that it doesn't feel like work, but I'd say very few (in the grand scheme of things) actually get that job. I reckon actor or games designer (solo) would be the one for me, but I won't be able to get either wihtout time or money, neither of which I have really because I don't even feel like working on those when I'm off work, as I've already worked and don't want to work more. So work causes me to procrastinate. If there's no work, I might actually do those things instead!

But I'd travel the worlds theme parks first. And spend a good chunk of time in Japan.

Advertisement